Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

I am getting very annoyed with littering.

With great fried chicken, comes a great mountain of shit that KFC completely refuses to take any responsibility for whatsoever.

With great fried chicken, comes a great mountain of shit that KFC completely refuses to take any responsibility for whatsoever.

I'm not so sure that KFC are the ones to blame for this. Yesterday I was using the cash machine at the local strip of shops to withdraw some money, and after I finished there was not a single bin in sight for disposing of the tissue I was using to protect my finger. A less conscientious person than myself might have just dumped it on the floor, but I elected to drop it in a wheelie bin on the way home. Also, it's not as if KFC are responsible for people littering the packaging from a local fried chicken shop.

In my opinion, the blame can be fairly divided between the lazy sods who drop their litter, and local councils for making the situation worse by cutting back on bins and street cleaning.

I saw an extraordinary thing the other day. A young urchin walking down the street abandoned his finished tin of energy drink on top of one of those big green cable boxes, walked a few paces down the street then changed his mind and went back to pick it up. There was nobody else around him but me, who he hadn't seen and wouldn't have heard on account of his headphones, so the only explanation is that his conscience alone changed his mind.

Almost makes you forget that mankind is 98% arseholes and we're all doomed anyway.

Although I would hope that there will be a lot less litter this year ...

Please, carry on picking up what you do see, just take a few sensible extra precautions.
Like wearing gloves / using a bag (with a method a bit like dog poop scooping !) and bin the bag & contents at the first opportunity.

Took the trouble to clear out the "wells and wetland" areas in our 'wildwood' - the amount of plastic & general litter in the silt we dug out was considerable. The largest item was a 6pint milk bottle ! - also plenty of sweet wrappers and crisp packets ... Lockdown walkers have been responsible for some recent depositions (Helping hand and straight into the dustbin).

The most annoying example was some years ago, when some cockwomble shoved all their picnic debris into a wire tree protector. It took me some time to clear that out - it was rammed in with a stick (which had broken in the process, as I found the bit which fell off rammed through a crisp packet).

I'm thinking of installing a notice saying "Take your litter home" "Don't destroy the beauty - Leave it for others to enjoy".
If I put in a bin, it encourages people to leave stuff and not take it home.

(Back when we used to visit beauty spots on long day trips, I would have two or three carriers for rubbish in the car - rubbish, recyclables and compostable items - which worked a treat for us)

Almost makes you forget that mankind is 98% arseholes and we're all doomed anyway.

I find it interesting how such sour-faced secular misanthropy bears striking similarities to the Christian notion that we're all inherently sinful creatures who're due an apocalypse. Either way it's miserable anti-human bullshit.

I find it interesting how such sour-faced secular misanthropy bears striking similarities to the Christian notion that we're all inherently sinful creatures who're due an apocalypse. Either way it's miserable anti-human bullshit.

I post a genuinely heartwarming story and this is the bit you pick up on? Reckon that says more about you than me tbh.

I post a genuinely heartwarming story and this is the bit you pick up on? Reckon that says more about you than me tbh.

You'd be amazed at what people do out of the kindness of their hearts. Not littering seems a rather low bar if you ask me.

I'm not so sure that KFC are the ones to blame for this. Yesterday I was using the cash machine at the local strip of shops to withdraw some money, and after I finished there was not a single bin in sight for disposing of the tissue I was using to protect my finger. A less conscientious person than myself might have just dumped it on the floor, but I elected to drop it in a wheelie bin on the way home. Also, it's not as if KFC are responsible for people littering the packaging from a local fried chicken shop.

In my opinion, the blame can be fairly divided between the lazy sods who drop their litter, and local councils for making the situation worse by cutting back on bins and street cleaning.
Yes and no. The picture looks like it could be a long way from KFC and or a town centre. You can't litter the countryside/roadside with bins and even if you did, I doubt the lazy sods that did that would bother with a bin. The blame for that lies solely with the slobs who did that.
If there is no bin, keep it until you see a bin or dispose of it when you get home. It's not difficult.

Also, it's not as if KFC are responsible for people littering the packaging from a local fried chicken shop.

They bear some responsibility for basing their business model partly around the generation of a great deal of disposable, unrecyclable waste.

It'd be interesting to see what effect a small deposit, refundable on return of the packaging, would have on behaviour.

I see a lot of McShits litter around here, odd thing is the closest restaurant is in Aldershot or the top floor of a shopping centre in Guildford. By the time they get it near here the food must be stone cold.

Bournemouth beach yesterday. I just want to go down there with a loudhailer and tell them if they can't take it home with them then fuck off our beach.

View attachment 219382
It is sickening. Despite the high profile of climate change and ocean pollution nothing seems to change.

Short of heavy monitoring by local council or policing it will be hard to change. I would like to see very heavy penalties for this.

I mean towels and stuff as well. They've taken a towel to sit on and just left it. I guess it's like the festival fallout you get these days with tents and all sorts just left behind.

My grand daughter and I go litter picking near my house. It's the only proactive way I found to feel better about it.

It was inspired by a group of people who get together regularly to clean up the common nearby.

Last edited:
I’m fucking furious about what’s happening in Dorset and this is before campsites etc have opened up. The result is that people living here won’t be able to access their local outside space this summer because it’s going to be absolutely fucking packed with tourists every day so lockdown continues for us.
Pissed up, fighting, littering, illegally parking. It’s not everyone but it’s enough.
I’ve tried not to be too NIMBY and selfish over this but now I want all the visitors to fuck off.

I am part of a pretty big volunteer group that goes out cleaning the beach. I'm dreading going out this evening. Disposable barbecues, buckets and spades, glass and plastic bottles, bottle tops, those plastic rings that you get four cans of beer in, used nappies, sun hats, tents, beads, swimming costumes, bongs, towels, condoms, bottles, tampons, all manner of food containers and drinks cans, cannisters of gas, shoes, net bags that you get oranges in, the list is endless.

A lot of people are dirty stupid selfish bastards.

If you can manage to bring it to the beach with you, you're surely big and clever enough to be able to take it off the beach with you.

I saw an extraordinary thing the other day. A young urchin walking down the street abandoned his finished tin of energy drink on top of one of those big green cable boxes, walked a few paces down the street then changed his mind and went back to pick it up. There was nobody else around him but me, who he hadn't seen and wouldn't have heard on account of his headphones, so the only explanation is that his conscience alone changed his mind.

Almost makes you forget that mankind is 98% arseholes and we're all doomed anyway
I fucking hate the strategically placed empty can. Sometimes my brain sees a aiming marker for an IED. I know its utterly ridiculous but not walking down an ally as someones left a can of coke on the side. Dont think I will ever kick random cans again

Back
Top Bottom