Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

I am getting very annoyed with littering.

Well done that man !
Trouble is, the flytipper may just have driven a bit further down then road and repeated the dumping.

This is what happens when penny-pinching councils stop the free service to pick up large items and the official tip / skip sites spend more time shut than open, not to mention the petty rules about what you can dump there !

Well done that man !
Trouble is, the flytipper may just have driven a bit further down then road and repeated the dumping.

This is what happens when penny-pinching councils stop the free service to pick up large items and the official tip / skip sites spend more time shut than open, not to mention the petty rules about what you can dump there !
None of that is any excuse to fly tip, especially in beautiful countryside. Anyone who does that needs banishing to the acid mines

We walked on the Paddington arm of the Grand Union Canal yesterday and it was 13 miles of absolutely disgusting levels of littering.

Mostly empty cans, drinks bottles and fast food packaging but also clothing, tins of paint and even a bloody kitchen sink. I've never seen anything quite like it. The whole length of the canal.

This is what happens when penny-pinching councils stop the free service to pick up large items
The man is driving an expensive car.
Round my way it's a whole £15 for 3 items and my only gripe as someone who can't drive stuff to the tip is that some quite small things would count as one item.

The man is driving an expensive car.
Round my way it's a whole £15 for 3 items and my only gripe as someone who can't drive stuff to the tip is that some quite small things would count as one item.
I paid more than that for three items to be taken away last year. Two of them were taken from the front garden before the rubbish lorry ever turned up :facepalm: (I don't know how they knew that the mouldy freezer still worked and the clean but clapped out fridge didn't but they took the right one).

Two of them were taken from the front garden before the rubbish lorry ever turned up :facepalm:
That works for me too - annoyingly they consistently chop the compressor out of fridges and leave the steel shell with inconvenient insulation stuck to it.

I paid more than that for three items to be taken away last year. Two of them were taken from the front garden before the rubbish lorry ever turned up :facepalm: (I don't know how they knew that the mouldy freezer still worked and the clean but clapped out fridge didn't but they took the right one).

Luck probably. We had the same once - I got an angry text from the council saying they came to collect but nothing was there. We had put it out, just turns out passers by were keen on a divan bed with the screws missing and parts of an old computer.

I find the cost a joke though; 23 quid for six items (although they do count three bin bags as one item which is great). We have some awful problems with rubbish in some parts and it doesn’t surprise me it’s in the areas struggling most financially. Nearly 25quid is a huge amount of money.

It’s £42.50 for bulky items uplift here. That’s too much, and almost certainly results in flytipping.

They won’t take car tyres though. In fact nobody will. We had some old tyres as planters, which seemed at good idea at the time, but when we decided to get rid of them nobody would take them. I took them to the tip, but was turned away. The guy even hinted I should fly tip them. “Then the council are required to pick them up”. I didn’t. I tried to get a scrap yard to take them, but he wanted me to pay him £12 per tyre. Garages wanted me to pay them too. I eventually found a garage where a guy let me put them in a consignment that was being taken away that day, but only because the boss was away on his lunch.

I drove around for ages asking various places before I found this guy.

So never use old tyres for anything. You can’t get rid.

I've some old tyres, but my idea has been to check with a couple of local farmers (use 'em to hold doen covers on silage heaps) or local fishing fleet (small boats use tyres are fenders, either on the boat itself or a dolphin / harbour wall). Let you know how I get on !

In Japan, there's not really litter bins, so people tend to bring their litter home. Lots of recycle points for plastics/tins/general waste, though.

just disgusting idiots without respect for their surroundings and fellow canal walkers then.
It's unbelievable the sheer amount of rubbish down there. Truly horrible and saddening and I have no idea who is ever going to clear it up so it will just get worse and worse.

At first we thought it was perhaps kids hanging out away from their parents but there is too much for it to be that. We saw lots of men fishing drinking cans so perhaps they also have a habit of just chucking their rubbish in the bushes. Neither group is responsible for the clothes, paint tins, dirty nappies or piles of empty catfood pouches. Or indeed the sofa! It's extraordinary.

It's unbelievable the sheer amount of rubbish down there. Truly horrible and saddening and I have no idea who is ever going to clear it up so it will just get worse and worse.

At first we thought it was perhaps kids hanging out away from parents but there is too much for it to be that. We saw lots of men fishing drinking cans so perhaps they also have a habit of just chucking their rubbish in the bushes. Neither group is responsible for the clothes, paint tins, dirty nappies or piles of empty catfood pouches. Or indeed the sofa! It's extraordinary.
you'd have thought things got better by now and people would be a bit more clued up about their environment...we have a long way to go.

We think that the people living on boats down there may also have a hand in it. I'm not sure what you are supposed to do with your rubbish when you live on a boat. I wouldn't just chuck it in the bushes but I'm guessing some of them must do.

We think that the people living on boats down there may also have a hand in it. I'm not sure what you are supposed to do with your rubbish when you live on a boat. I wouldn't just chuck it in the bushes but I'm guessing some of them must do.
if it is this bad it must be the collective guilt of most canal users. one empty can of pop tends to multiply multiply multiply rapidly once people think they are not the first to leave littler at a particular spot.

if it is this bad it must be the collective guilt of most canal users. one empty can of pop tends to multiply multiply rapidly once people think they are not the first to leave littler at a particular spot.
It really is that bad and it's literally all the way along. Not just in localised spots.

We walked on the Paddington arm of the Grand Union Canal yesterday and it was 13 miles of absolutely disgusting levels of littering.

Mostly empty cans, drinks bottles and fast food packaging but also clothing, tins of paint and even a bloody kitchen sink. I've never seen anything quite like it. The whole length of the canal.

The canals round here are pretty spotless, apart from the occasional mangled bike frame which is basically a requirement for the quintessential English canal experience.

If it bothers you. Pick it up.

I spend a lot of my time - walking around home and other places , picking up cans / plastic bottles and NOS cylinders (!) , and sticking them within reason into proper recycling bins or into domestic ones you walk by. This is suburban St Albans. Others do it as well.

On beach walks ,since the 1980's we always take black bags for picking stuff up.

What really f++ing annoys me are the twats who bag up dog shit and just hang it on hedges etc. They might just as well boot the crap into a field / hedge. Rant over.

I'm trying to get my garden cleared after it was laid to waste to by foxes. I don't drive, and live about an hours' realistic drive from the dump - it's not far, but it's a very busy route, and:
  • For use by residents of Tower Hamlets only**.
  • Proof of identity and address must be shown. Acceptable forms of identity include driver's licence/passport/council tax bill/utility bill/parking permit.
  • Residents using a van will be asked to sign a declaration that the waste is from their own home and has not come from a trade or business. All vans must be weighed on the weighbridge.
So I will have to pay someone to clear my garden and pay for them to go to the tip with it, with me sitting in the van, and the journey will cost me at least two hours' pay and van hire.

There's no way for me to sign a form saying "these people are clearing out my house/garden."

And that's even assuming me hiring someone who's hiring a van will be acceptable. And managing to hire people who understand that 6 hours' work in a garden does not include after dark.

I've been somewhat cautious about picking stuff up recently. Is it ill-advised doing it with your hands, given the public health advice?

I suggest wearing decent work gloves (riggers or similar) and use one of the "helping hand" devices. Spray them with disinfectant when you've finished and wash your hands.

Using a binbag "ring" and the "helping hand" reduces the bending factor [ experience from beach and national park litter picking activities ] ...

I suggest wearing decent work gloves (riggers or similar) and use one of the "helping hand" devices. Spray them with disinfectant when you've finished and wash your hands.

Using a binbag "ring" and the "helping hand" reduces the bending factor [ experience from beach and national park litter picking activities ] ...

I don't do formal litter picking as such, more picking up the odd bits I see, especially the inevitable and omnipresent Red Bull or Monster cans. My query was whether this was less advisable since the pandemic onset.

I don't do formal litter picking as such, more picking up the odd bits I see, especially the inevitable and omnipresent Red Bull or Monster cans. My query was whether this was less advisable since the pandemic onset.

Although I would hope that there will be a lot less litter this year ...

Please, carry on picking up what you do see, just take a few sensible extra precautions.
Like wearing gloves / using a bag (with a method a bit like dog poop scooping !) and bin the bag & contents at the first opportunity.

Seeing loads of discarded disposable gloves everywhere lately. Also local parks have stopped collecting bins and advising people to take dog waste elsewhere - lots of people just piling it where the bins were or tying it to the fence or just leaving it in piles elsewhere. Fucking disgusting (and I say that as a dog owner who begrudgingly walks around with a bag of shit for half an hour)

Back
Top Bottom