Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hurricane Florence: Mass evacuation, in Eastern USA, from 'storm of a lifetime'

yield

nothing
Hurricane Florence: Mass evacuation from 'storm of a lifetime'
12/09/18
US East Coast residents are running out of time to flee before Hurricane Florence hits the region early on Friday, officials have warned.

The storm has been downgraded to category three with 125mph (205km/h) winds, but officials say it is still "extremely dangerous".

Up to 1.7 million people have been ordered to evacuate across South Carolina, North Carolina and Virginia.

Four South Carolina motorways have been diverted one-way to speed the exodus.

On Wednesday, Georgia declared a state of emergency, following the Carolinas, Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC.
Hope the predictions are wrong and it doesn't make landfall.

Luckily it dropped to a cat 1 but due to its unusual characteristics it will bring water on the scale of a much larger hurricane. Pressure is right up there with the big ones.

strongest-hurricanes-ncpng-a5d73e59c97192e2.png

Everybody my age was taught as children about Hazel. Now any hurricane which name sounds like an old aunt makes you nervous.

Luckily it dropped to a cat 1 but due to its unusual characteristics it will bring water on the scale of a much larger hurricane. Pressure is right up there with the big ones.

strongest-hurricanes-ncpng-a5d73e59c97192e2.png

Everybody my age was taught as children about Hazel. Now any hurricane which name sounds like an old aunt makes you nervous.

Lower pressure means bigger storms yes? 1000MB being 'standard' atmospheric pressure? School was a long time ago :(

Apparently they just keep using the same names over again on a 6-year cycle until a hurricane is so destructive that the name is retired...I think this one is probably going to end up being the last Florence.
hurricane.png

The media plays up the wind speed because it's visibly dramatic but it's the rain that gets dumped inland and has no way to drain into the ocean that does the real damage and kills people. I was in Floyd and saw how bad it can be. Once the area is devastated and has no power and stores are running out of food, the state government in Raleigh will send out undercover agents to buy bread at a store to see if they get gouged. If they do they'll arrest the seller. :cool:

Florence has just made landfall!
Nope:

https://twitter.com/NWSGSP/status/1040546598856679424

We're seeing some erroneous info this AM. #Florence has NOT officially made landfall. A part of the eye wall has made it on land, but landfall is based on when the CENTER of the eye crosses onto land. Official landfall confirmation must & will come from @NHC_Atlantic #ncwx #scwx

11:23 AM - Sep 14, 2018
https://support.twitter.com/articles/20175256

“Natural disasters are a warning shot God fires across the bow of the ship named "Repentance and Faith" He's calling you to board.”
#HurricaneFlorence

:rolleyes:
Whilst grim these disasters are a good opportunity to block people who send prayers :)

“Natural disasters are a warning shot God fires across the bow of the ship named "Repentance and Faith" He's calling you to board.”
#HurricaneFlorence

:rolleyes:
I thought they were ever increasing reminders that climate change is no longer deniable, like arctic circle forest fires and dying coral reefs. Turns out its just ole jehovah pranking us as usual

Wonder how many people have defied the evacuation because they can 'deal with it' :hmm:

More than enough, in view of reports coming in of people being rescued from rooftops. :facepalm:

As Hurricane Florence pounds the North Carolina coast with 90-mph winds and relentless rain, more than 100 people have been plucked from a storm surge that's already reached 10 feet, as dozens more await rescue.

"In a matter of seconds, my house was flooded up to the waist, and now it is to the chest," said Peggy Perry, who along with three relatives, was trapped early Friday in her New Bern home. "We are stuck in the attic."

Hurricane Florence: Dozens trapped in storm surge as storm nears landfall on the Carolinas - CNN

meanwhile...

Super Typhoon Nears Philippines With 170 M.P.H. Winds

Super Typhoon Mangkhut, the equivalent of a Category 5 hurricane, was expected to make landfall on the northern island of Luzon early Saturday morning with an intensity not seen since Typhoon Haiyan swept across the central Philippines in 2013, killing more than 6,000 people. Heavy rainfall and whipping winds were already being reported on the island’s eastern coast.

Back
Top Bottom