Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hungerford Town FC vs DHFC NLS Sat 5th 2020 (rescheduled date)

Was the home game not a particular low - where Shamir Mullings equalised with the last kick of the game?
That was Chippenham where Mullings scored that goal. Hungerford at home was where we were 2-0 up at half time only to be pegged back within 5 mins of the second half to 2-2 and eventually lose. Aaron Barnes forgot he was a right back for one of the goals and their left back had the freedom of Southwark to score.

No, I don't think it's great if fans shout it either, but I think a player running up to the keeper and screaming it straight into his face is different. It's certainly more aggressive and it's done purely to antagonise.
I loved that about him. His will to win was huge and he loved noising folk up. Too many 'nice guys' in the team last year. I'd have him back in a heartbeat, could clearly play too.

No, I don't think it's great if fans shout it either, but I think a player running up to the keeper and screaming it straight into his face is different. It's certainly more aggressive and it's done purely to antagonise.
It depends whether there was any sort of provocation for me, or whether the opponent was cheating or taking a liberty. I don't like people just giving abuse or antagonising the opposition for no good reason.

Think it crosses a line. You can have a will to win without screaming in someone's face. Like PP I agree that it depends what's gone on before but Kearney did it pretty much every time I saw him play.

I think it's unsporting, not to mention unnecessary. I always think of Lenny Pidgeley, the Margate keeper, who was forced to retire because of a long battle with depression. That bloke was going through the mill off the pitch, so someone like Kearney screaming antagonistic profanities in his face could have had any kind of affect. These people are human beings - you don't know what's happening in someone's life, anything could be going on. They turn up to play football not to get goaded and sworn at by the opposition. While adrenaline and competitive spirit can allow players to do some things on a pitch that wouldn't be permissible in a normal working environment, in no other circumstances would it be OK to run up to someone and call them a c*** inches from their face for no good reason.

If that's how people would want to us to win games, then we'd better go and bat our eyelashes at Steve King, but personally I'd rather we were technically and tactically superior to the opposition.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom