Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

DHFC v Chippenham Town, Sat 29th April 2023

Some random thoughts on the game: I thought the referee was good overall, and had a very high threshold on what constituted a foul, and I thought the Chippenham players were really respectful at the end, knowing that they'd relegated Hamlet.

Maybe their fans could have whooped with joy a little less at the end, but that's their call.

Do people reckon the crowds will be lower next season? I can't really see why they would be. I don't think we have that large a contingent only going because we're National League South, and would refuse to go the Isthmian.

Obviously there won't be as many away fans in the Isthmian but bar a handful of teams in the NLS there's usually only about 10-50 of them.

I know when we were last in this Isthmian crowds were a bit lower but I think that was driven mainly by being ousted to Mitcham and word of mouth not being as prevalent back then.

This season we had an average of around 2.5k, I'll be amazed if it's any less than 2.2k next season. The football might actually be more interesting as we should win games and not look terrible, which might make daytrippers want to come back more often.
I disagree, many Isthmian clubs have very good followings, it’s a shorter distance and it’s a good day out for them.

Pics

In photos: Heartbreak as Dulwich Hamlet are relegated on the final game of the season, Sat 29th April 2023

In photos: Heartbreak as Dulwich Hamlet are relegated on the final game of the season, Sat 29th April 2023

More here -> In photos: Heartbreak as Dulwich Hamlet are relegated on the final game of the season, Sat 29th April 2023

One thing I would really like us to do is reduce the crowd size, when it sells out you have hardly any chance of seeing the game. Should be 2500 max.

One thing I would really like us to do is reduce the crowd size, when it sells out you have hardly any chance of seeing the game. Should be 2500 max.
I am sure Ben has explained why this is not possible both from a regulatory and financial perspective. The club will undoubtedly have to survive on lower crowds as new ground development begins.

I am sure Ben has explained why this is not possible both from a regulatory and financial perspective. The club will undoubtedly have to survive on lower crowds as new ground development begins.
Am constantly amazed about the griping about crowd sizes and supporter profile. Local interest is, without a doubt, how the club survived it's eviction but people just bitch non-stop about how they're not the type of supporters they find acceptable. Who cares how people are enjoying Champion Hill for whatever reason they find enjoyment from it? It's not a sin. I started watching 10yrs ago to have a beer and a chat with my "dad friends" and then got hooked. I have spoken to a lot of away supporters who love the fact that it is a friendly club but listening to some people on this forum they want it, in part, filled with fanatical "Ultras". I am looking forward to next season as it may see the players form a bond with the fans again and some players may be around long enough that i can form male crushes about them again. And the Isthmian is more fun. Going to Lewes v Dartford...i mean come on... And, for the first time in 5yrs, there might be something worth watching.

Last edited:
Am constantly amazed about the griping about crowd sizes and supporter profile. Local interest is, without a doubt, how the club survived it's eviction but people just bitch non-stop about how they're not the type of supporters they find acceptable. Who cares how people are enjoying Champion Hill for whatever reason they find enjoyment from it? It's not a sin? I started watching 10yrs ago to have a beer and a chat with my "dad friends" and then got hooked. I have spoken to a lot of away supporters who love the fact that it is a friendly club but listening to some people on this forum they want it, in part, filled with fanatical "Ultras". I am looking forward to next season as it may see the players form a bond with the fans again and some players may be around long enough that i can form male crushes about them again. And the Isthmian is more fun. Going to Lewes v Dartford...i mean come on...
I wish I could like this more than once. There are plenty of games over the years where I’ve had great chats with mates and the football has been, thankfully, irrelevant. There is no right and wrong way to show you value and support our great club.

I wish I could like this more than once. There are plenty of games over the years where I’ve had great chats with mates and the football has been, thankfully, irrelevant. There is no right and wrong way to show you value and support our great club.
I know, some people seem to want us to behave like Woking/Cheshunt/Dartford/Dover/Bognor etc fans to prove we're authentic. It's only twats from twat clubs who complain about the lack of a patriarchal, nasty, aggressive atsmosphere at our ground. Most like watching/chatting in a very safe environment of 3000 people, which the club should be proud of creating and maintaining. It is Zone 2 South London after all, which is like Gotham without Batman, so it is quite an achievement considering how much booze is drunk.

Even in the days of small crowds the Rabble often spent ages chatting about totally random topics. Suppose what fans find more annoying is that those topics have changed to the classic middle class dilemmas of which wine to serve with tonight’s dinner, house prices and the best school to send Tarquin & Tabitha to. For 🤬’s we once spent a long part of a particularly boring game playing with a load of kids’ toys that had been dumped by the Carwash end gates.

Talk about what you like just don’t stand at the front if you’re not watching the game, get your Instagram photo and fuck off to the back to chat. 🤷🏻

Didn’t go yesterday due to cricket commitments but whilst a relegation isn’t good news, especially on goal difference, to paraphrase Dulwich Hammer, it’s been coming. Shipping so many goals, especially at Worthing, Chelmsford and Havant certainly hasn’t helped our cause.

There’s no point in playing the “Blame Game” though, it isn’t the end of the world and the Isthmian League should give us a chance to regroup with hopefully a more focused set of players.

Home attendances won’t be impacted and there’s the chance of some good away trips, which with the reduced distances involved should make travelling easier and more affordable for many people, so there are always positives.

If we stick together, support the team however we can and go back to enjoying ourselves rather than falling out on this messageboard, then there’s a lot to look forward to next season.
To be fair, it's not that I didn't warn them!
It's rare that relegation form doesn't bring relegation. Anyway, bring on some familiar awaydays next season!

Talk about what you like just don’t stand at the front if you’re not watching the game, get your Instagram photo and fuck off to the back to chat. 🤷🏻
Why don't you show a bit of initiative and buy yourself a pint and stand behind the goal at 14:30? And then swap end 5 mins before the end of the first half? That's what people who want a view do, every game.

Why don't you show a bit of initiative and buy yourself a pint and stand behind the goal at 14:30? And then swap end 5 mins before the end of the first half? That's what people who want a view do, every game.

was talking generally but you go off Moody Margaret.

Do people reckon the crowds will be lower next season? I can't really see why they would be. I don't think we have that large a contingent only going because we're National League South, and would refuse to go the Isthmian.

Obviously there won't be as many away fans in the Isthmian but bar a handful of teams in the NLS there's usually only about 10-50 of them.

I know when we were last in this Isthmian crowds were a bit lower but I think that was driven mainly by being ousted to Mitcham and word of mouth not being as prevalent back then.

This season we had an average of around 2.5k, I'll be amazed if it's any less than 2.2k next season. The football might actually be more interesting as we should win games and not look terrible, which might make daytrippers want to come back more often.

I don't think we can be sure how attendance figures will hold up. It's a lower profile league. Average attendance for the promotion season was around 1,500 up to the end of February, when we were shunted out to Tooting, after which it dropped back to around 1,300 by the end of the season. I'm sure it would have climbed higher had we remained at Champion Hill. We never seem to get much over 2,000 until October but I don't think anyone expected regular Saturday crowds of close to or above 3,000 when we returned from exile.

I don't know if that's a typo but you've grossly underestimated the numbers of away supporters. I reckon most Isthmian Premier opponents were bringing 50+ and it's probably around 100 for most National South teams on Saturdays, more like 200 for Dartford or Ebbsfleet and if we were still around to play Maidstone towards the end of next season we could have been looking at an all ticket game with up to 600 away supporters. It's not easy to tell when some of our own supporters are behind the goal we're defending, but away fans don't all wear colours and stand behind the goal. My rule of thumb is around half the away supporters will be obvious behind the goal and a similar number will be scattered along the sides.

Struggling to remember what ticket and season ticket prices were last time we were in the Isthmian. I agree that attendances won’t go down, and if prices are lower to match the division then that’s another factor that will potentially push them higher.

I think the price went up from £10 to £11 at the start of the promotion season, at the instigation of Meadow who were managing the club's finances at the time. The club dropped it back to £10 when we moved to Tooting, then raised it to £12 when we returned to Champion Hill in National South. We were the joint cheapest in National South with no more than 2 or 3 others, where the par is £15 with a few being more than that, and the concession price of £5 must have remained the same for the best part of a decade now. Par for Isthmian Premier seems to be £12. I don't think many will be less than that, and I'm sure one or two will be more, although Haringey was a tenner when I went last month. Some clubs were charging £12 in that division as long ago as 2015, so I would expect us to stick with £12 and I don't think that's unreasonable.

Have just told you how to approach getting a view. You would rather whinge about the mythical thousands with their back turned spoiling your view. Just be organised.
In all seriousness, you know what's an underappreciated and great idea? A fold up stool.

Get one for a few quid from a hardware store and you've improved your sightlines immeasurably (they're not just for shortarses).

Also - beat the bar queue by stocking with cans in a coolbag. Dunno why more people don't do that either.

It wasn't a valid complaint, it was just having a pop at our supposedly crappy fan base.
You don't think adequate sightlines are a real problem when we have a capacity crowd? You don't think paying customers should at least be able to see the game?

I have to pick a spot and not move for 90 mins if I want any hope of capturing photos. It's far from ideal.

You don't think adequate sightlines are a real problem when we have a capacity crowd? You don't think paying customers should at least be able to see the game?

I have to pick a spot and not move for 90 mins if I want any hope of capturing photos. It's far from ideal.
Yeah, appreciate it must make your job harder. The thing is that whenever you have busy terraces sightlines are always going to be compromised, that has always been the case at every venue that ever had terracing.

Back
Top Bottom