Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hundreds of women assaulted in German NYE celebrations

The fact that so many officials are so obviously more concerned about the fact that anti-immigrant sentiment might increase following reports of a mob numbering a thousand in one area and many hundreds in others assaulted over a hundred women and raped undoubtedly more than was reported than they are about the fact that this mob EXISTS IN THE FIRST PLACE ironically enough is going to convince even more otherwise decent people that maybe there is something in the whole racism and anti-immigration thing.

Yeah agreed. Alain Badiou (in The Meaning of Sarkozy) talks about how the right offer fear, and the 'left' offer only fear of the right's fear.

I'm not defending anything.
So far we have zero proof of anything except that some of the assaulters were swarthy-looking. That doesn't make the assaulters "migrants". They could, for example, be German citizens of other extractions - maybe some of the millions of people of south European or Turkish or Balkan heritage.
Ever spent any time in Germany? in most cities you'll see "swarthy-looking" people whose nearest connection to migrants is that 3 or 4 generations ago their antecedents settled in Germany as gastarbeiters.

As for "being far tougher", and "more aware of danger", what do you propose?

I guess I shouldn't concern myself with what other people, do think or feel because it's not really any of my business.

What I'm saying is that Germany could have said no to accepting Syrian migrants and found another way to help them nearer their point of origin. I wish that Germany had been more self-interested.

Germany is very forward thinking in terms of the environment, quality-of-life and social mobility. Pretty much every political project in these areas have been wiped off the table to deal with the huge number of migrants.

All those receiving and needing social care, educational assistance etc are going to have resources diverted away for years to come.

And then you have the problem of bad behaviour. Prisons are University of crime and extremism. That leave people even further away from being able to get jobs and being part of mainstream society.

You know it's going to bring out nasty elements from the right wing groups as well as the other side.

I suppose I would really like people to cool down on the do gooding. And put forward thoughtful suggestions.

Granting citizenship is such a great gift and kindness that they should be some conditions attached to it. Like a probationary basis to start with so people misbehave in terms of crime or sexual assault can be told to piss off.

To me the number of migrants that Germany has accepted and the more to come is a terrible tragedy for Germany, it is if it has been besmirched and will never be the same again.

I like the idea of drunken girls enjoying themselves at the beer festivals and whatnot. I don't like the idea that there is a dangerous predatory element making things less fun. I'm open to the possibility that the reported events were not carried out by recent migrants as you say, more data is needed.

I guess I shouldn't concern myself with what other people, do think or feel because it's not really any of my business.

What I'm saying is that Germany could have said no to accepting Syrian migrants and found another way to help them nearer their point of origin. I wish that Germany had been more self-interested.

Germany is very forward thinking in terms of the environment, quality-of-life and social mobility. Pretty much every political project in these areas have been wiped off the table to deal with the huge number of migrants.

All those receiving and needing social care, educational assistance etc are going to have resources diverted away for years to come.

And then you have the problem of bad behaviour. Prisons are University of crime and extremism. That leave people even further away from being able to get jobs and being part of mainstream society.

You know it's going to bring out nasty elements from the right wing groups as well as the other side.

I suppose I would really like people to cool down on the do gooding. And put forward thoughtful suggestions.

Granting citizenship is such a great gift and kindness that they should be some conditions attached to it. Like a probationary basis to start with so people misbehave in terms of crime or sexual assault can be told to piss off.

To me the number of migrants that Germany has accepted and the more to come is a terrible tragedy for Germany, it is if it has been besmirched and will never be the same again.

I like the idea of drunken girls enjoying themselves at the beer festivals and whatnot. I don't like the idea that there is a dangerous predatory element making things less fun. I'm open to the possibility that the reported events were not carried out by recent migrants as you say, more data is needed.

I started a reply to this post, but I really don't know where to start.

Refugees, not migrants, refugees.

So every man is a rapist and a woman should be able to hospitalize or even kill a man with no repercussions?!
Anyone think that's even more of an overreaction than banning all muslims from a country?

Nobody said anything like that. And my post was slightly tongue on cheek. But you definitely make me want to suggest it more seriously now...

what, german honour demands reprisals?

Being on this forum makes me feel that my worries are unfounded and I dig the optimism, but where is it coming from?

Is there also a consensus of optimism about the following?
All being well with global warming.
The kindness and lack of greed of bankers.
That businesses are caring more about the environment.
But the rainforest is going to stop being chopped down.
The businesses are going to stop using sweatshops and child labour.
That we are heading towards a fairer more equal society.

I sense that there is a lack of optimism amongst the majority here about the above issues. So how are people so optimistic about the massive influx of people to Germany from a completely different religion and culture. Many of which come from cultures in which women's rights are not very high on the agenda.

Back
Top Bottom