Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Huge explosion near Waco, Texas, as fertiliser plant blows up

Yes, I think there's an insurance policy that covers it.

Good. According to one of my volunteer firefighter friends, only a fool would run into a burning house knowing he would orphan his children. iirc, they have to get some form of pay to be eligible for insurance.

I found this on the compensation from a local town.

Volunteer firefighters in Quinte West are getting a 2.5 per cent wage hike.

The Christian Labour Association of Canada, the union representing about 129 volunteers in Quinte West, negotiated a deal with the city in December.

Firefighters ratified the three-year deal Wednesday when they voted 82 per cent in favour of the new contract. It's retroactive to Jan. 1, 2009.

Voluteers will earn $29.93 for the first hour of service. That hourly rate drops to 19.96 per hour for time spent on fire-related calls.

Volunteers also receive what's known as a non firefighting hourly rate of $11.74 per hour. That's for non emergency call outs.

Fire Chief John Whelan said contrary to other published reports volunteers do not receive a honourarium of $3,200 per year. Whelan said volunteers earn on average $3,200 per year.

But volunteer firefighters do receive a $361 annual bonus if they attend 75 per cent of their training activities and respond to 75 per cent of emergency-related calls.

Volunteer firefighters are part of the Eastern Ontario Volunteer Firefighters Association, represented by CLAC.

Although volunteers are part of a larger association, CLAC negotiates separate contracts for each municipality.

also - yes, they do throw awesome parties and community breakfasts.

Good. According to one of my volunteer firefighter friends, only a fool would run into a burning house knowing he would orphan his children. iirc, they have to get some form of pay to be eligible for insurance.

I found this on the compensation from a local town.

also - yes, they do throw awesome parties and community breakfasts.

We used to joke that ours put fires out with "recycled" beer. :D

In the old days of hand pumps if they didn't have enough hands to work the pump they'd drag people out of pubs and pay them in beer to work the pump :)

While my husband was hitchhiking through the Rockies (1970's), there was a forest fire. The officials went to the area where the hichhikers were and offered them $100 a piece to help fight the fire.

Just to clarify on the volunteer firefighters - they are paid, trained professionals. The volunteer part is that they don't stay at the firehall, they continue their normal lives until they get the call.

I'm sure you knew that, but others might not.
Not in the town this explosion happened in they are not. Trained they might be but that's it, they are not professionals or paid. There used to be more paid depts in texas but Rick Perry cut them by 75% leaving about 15% of the entire service in the state paid.

Not in the town this explosion happened in they are not. Trained they might be but that's it, they are not professionals or paid. There used to be more paid depts in texas but Rick Perry cut them by 75% leaving about 15% of the entire service in the state paid.

I suppose that my main concern was insurance or compensation for injury or death. It would appear that they do have funding available to provide workers compensation and death and disability insurance from private insurance companies. Good.

As for the switch from paid to volunteer departments, I think it's a sign of the times. Why pay $43,000 a year plus benefits when you can get the same results for free???? Free means lower municipal taxes - another plus for the politicians.

I suppose that my main concern was insurance or compensation for injury or death. It would appear that they do have funding available to provide workers compensation and death and disability insurance from private insurance companies. Good.
Or, you assumed that everywhere is like your situation in another country and said so.

Or, you assumed that everywhere is like your situation in another country and said so.

hmmm - started with a comment to attempt to clear up that volunteers are trained, not some rubbies out of the pub. I've read comments about how the fire was compounded because volunteer firefighters were used.

With several of the volunteers missing, I was concerned about compensation. Yes, they are compensated.

End result for me - learned a lot about volunteer fightfighters.

End result for you - proving once again that I have problems googling information on topics and my asking for assistance, and you getting irritated.

It's been that way from the beginning and the result is always the same - I get my answers and you get to be condescending. Win-win, I suppose.

Thanks for the info, I can't think of any more questions right now :)

Back
Top Bottom