Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Huge explosion near Waco, Texas, as fertiliser plant blows up

A fucking fertiliser plant. If you think of the Manchester bomb and how big that explosion was, realise that was just one lorry load of fertiliser (I think) and then compare it with what must happen when a whole factory goes up. Bloody hell.

I imagine if there was no explosive risk then that's the only reason that it was so close to residential areas?

But if there was no explosive risk (barring a cover up from the owners or whatever), why did it go up in such a way?

The most common agricultural fertilisers are made using ammonium nitrate and any major fertiliser plant will have huge amounts of ammonium nitrate stored onsite. Ammonium nitrate is commonly used by terrorists in the form of ANFO (a mixture of ammonium nitrate and diesel oil) to make improvised 'low' explosive (as distinct from 'high' explosives such as TNT, Semtex, C4 and substances specifically designed for explosive use) AN is more destructive when properly prepared and mixed with diesel (the right amount of diesel triples the brisance, the explosive power) but it can will explode on its own given the right conditions. With the typical amounts on hand at a major fertiliser factory AN on its own will be hugely destructive if it explodes, as a trainload did at Oppan in Germany in 1921 when stopped at a station, killing 1200 people.

The most common agricultural fertilisers are made using ammonium nitrate and any major fertiliser plant will have huge amounts of ammonium nitrate stored onsite. Ammonium nitrate is commonly used by terrorists in the form of ANFO (a mixture of ammonium nitrate and diesel oil) to make improvised 'low' explosive (as distinct from 'high' explosives such as TNT, Semtex, C4 and substances specifically designed for explosive use) AN is more destructive when properly prepared and mixed with diesel (the right amount of diesel triples the brisance, the explosive power) but it can will explode on its own given the right conditions. With the typical amounts on hand at a major fertiliser factory AN on its own will be hugely destructive if it explodes, as a trainload did at Oppan in Germany in 1921 when stopped at a station, killing 1200 people.

Yes, but why are they claiming there was no explosive risk?

I'm very aware of the explosive power of AN. So just surprised as to the reports claim that there was no explosive risk. Odd.

Yes, but why are they claiming there was no explosive risk?

I'm very aware of the explosive power of AN. So just surprised as to the reports claim that there was no explosive risk. Odd.

Very odd as the explosive power of AN is no secret. If there was something else that happened such as a gas leak going bang then that could have acted as an initiator, the same way as a detonator sets off a grenade or a blasting cap sets off a stick of dynamite. A comparatively smaller blast might have been what set off the bigger one, plus you also have to wonder what other chemicals they had onsite and, once the initial blast happened there could have been 'sympathetic detonation' (one blast sets off a chain reaction) and the fire could have caused 'cooking off' when the sheer heat of a major fire causes further explosions.

Interesting but maybe not relevant.

WEST, Texas -- The Texas fertilizer plant where an explosion injured more than 100 people and killed an unknown number of others was cited for failing to obtain or to qualify for a permit in 2006.
The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality investigated West Fertilizer on June 20, 2006, after receiving a complaint June 9 of a strong ammonia smell. Agency records show that the person who lodged the complaint said the ammonia smell was "very bad last night" and lingered until after he or she went to bed.

Wednesday night's explosion leveled the plant and severely damaged other area buildings. Authorities say people were killed, but they don't know how many.

Authorities were still trying to evacuate area homes early Thursday morning.

http://www.khou.com/news/texas-news...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Very odd as the explosive power of AN is no secret. If there was something else that happened such as a gas leak going bang then that could have acted as an initiator, the same way as a detonator sets off a grenade or a blasting cap sets off a stick of dynamite. A comparatively smaller blast might have been what set off the bigger one, plus you also have to wonder what other chemicals they had onsite and, once the initial blast happened there could have been 'sympathetic detonation' (one blast sets off a chain reaction) and the fire could have caused 'cooking off' when the sheer heat of a major fire causes further explosions.

Indeed.

I guess I'm just guilty of asking questions that cannot really be answered yet.

Esp when the company ignores the safety of the community, even after being warned years previously. Another capital-made disaster. Volunteer firefighters too, used by that same capital to deal with their mess, risk their lifes and use their community mindedness (note: this is not a pop at the volunteers, not at all).

Just to clarify on the volunteer firefighters - they are paid, trained professionals. The volunteer part is that they don't stay at the firehall, they continue their normal lives until they get the call.

I'm sure you knew that, but others might not.

Just to clarify on the volunteer firefighters - they are paid, trained professionals. The volunteer part is that they don't stay at the firehall, they continue their normal lives until they get the call.

In Britain, we'd call them part-time, rather than volunteer.

edit: I meant to say, no I didn't know that. Thought they were unpaid.

They don't get paid where I'm from. I think all they get is an equipment allowance. They're lucky to have firetrucks. In fact, they spend a lot of time raising money for equipment.

They don't get paid where I'm from. I think all they get is an equipment allowance. They're lucky to have firetrucks. In fact, they spend a lot of time raising money for equipment.

If a volunteer firefighter is injured or dies in a fire, is there any financial compensation?

Back
Top Bottom