Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Howdens kitchens & their Lamona kitchen appliances

I have. I saw a cheap South African flat-pack kitchen fall to pieces over the space of two years. It had been assembled reasonably well.
Housing Association kitchens too. Although I can't say they had been assembled reasonably well. The screws were the wrong size (too small) so they'd improvised with matchsticks :facepalm:

I have this problem in my house. I'm sorting it with having wider worktops on top.

That sounds like the best solution. But it means you need a made-to-measure countertop. It is annoying for customers to buy their kitchen and (standard) countertop from IKEA and then find they need to reroute all their plumbing or get a countertop made up. IKEA shouldn't expect its customers to spot this awkwardness in its designs and I guess the customers can't get a refund on their countertops either as they are not faulty!

I had almost forgotten the pain of fitting my ikea kitchen. I fudged it with battening behind the worktop covered with edging strip

*subscribes

I hope to get a new kitchen later this year. Ive never had one before so am completely in the dark but I will be getting all and sundry round to plan it and give me quotes. There is a shop near me called Wren. Their kitchen cupboards are apparently thicker, wider and hold more weight than Howdens. Also Buildbase do kitchens which look quite good quality. A friend of a friend has an Ikea kitchen and loves it. Heard nothing but bad stuff regarding Magnet.

Its a big decision in our house because we arent likely to afford to change it again ever. Its got to be a best possible purchase from the off for me. Someone else I know is getting a Howdens kitchen later this year but I suspect that'll be too late to be of any use to you ringo

I'm thinking of a new kitchen next year for my flat, when I move back in after many years away. I will watch this thread with interest. So far I've just browsed John Lewis's website.

*subscribes

I hope to get a new kitchen later this year. Ive never had one before so am completely in the dark but I will be getting all and sundry round to plan it and give me quotes. There is a shop near me called Wren. Their kitchen cupboards are apparently thicker, wider and hold more weight than Howdens. Also Buildbase do kitchens which look quite good quality. A friend of a friend has an Ikea kitchen and loves it. Heard nothing but bad stuff regarding Magnet.

I thought the Magnet kitchens were very nice and good quality. Magnet had a fancier offering but in general seemed to be at least twice the price of Howdens and on some ranges substantially more. Magnet offer some fancy items such as various corner cupboards that Howdens did't sell.

I have heard that one should stay clear of Magnet kitchen fitters as they are sub-contracted and often not very good. Find your own fitter and I am sure a Magnet kitchen is excellent if you can afford it.

The best is Smallbone of Devizes though. Its kitchens are excellent quality but they are only for lottery winners and other rich people.

There's loads of bespoke kitchen shops here... Luxury for sure. My friends husband has his own business doing bespoke kitchens and cinema rooms and the like... Prices from 30k

@ringo... what did you do in the end?

We fitted an IKEA kitchen in our last flat and I loved it (although - mrs magpie - we had the same issue with piping, but the guy who fitted it adapted them to fit). But, now in this house, our builder told us he could get us a previous season's Howden's kitchen dead cheap. I must have read the same reviews as you, so I'm tempted. Of course, we meant to do this kitchen months ago and we are still putting it off and off and off.. :oops:

anyone fitted their own kitchen? appliances aside, is it a fairly easy thing to do? :hmm:
It can be, if unlike me you don't have pipes and trunking everywhere. I got a really good local carpenter in to fit an Ikea kitchen and he was cursing at the time, effort and general awkwardness of it.

Housing Association kitchens too. Although I can't say they had been assembled reasonably well. The screws were the wrong size (too small) so they'd improvised with matchsticks :facepalm:
Oh and that was the other thing. When the carpenter took out the old ones he discovered around 50% of the screws in the back hadn't been used at all, never mind matchsticks.

Oh and that was the other thing. When the carpenter took out the old ones he discovered around 50% of the screws in the back hadn't been used at all, never mind matchsticks.
Matchsticks can be a good rescue for wonky holes or something! I've used them in fixing my windows.

It's fairly easy if you have some DIY skills but i'd get a chippy to put your work-tops in if you have to mitre and join them. My brother who's a builder fits all the units himself and then pays a lad to do the tops.

I've fitted a couple myself. It's not rocket science. If you're buying howdens buy them through someone who has an account. Depending on their account they will no doubt have a good discount on what you will be offered. Our kids pays 40% less than what I could get over the counter.

Matchsticks can be a good rescue for wonky holes or something! I've used them in fixing my windows.
Not so good when your kitchen collapses after 3 months and the Housing Association say the next round of kitchen replacements is 7 years (minus three months) away.

Not so good when your kitchen collapses after 3 months and the Housing Association say the next round of kitchen replacements is 7 years (minus three months) away.
Fucking hell.....

But if they've cocked up, don't they have to make good? Or am I being naive?

Fucking hell.....

But if they've cocked up, don't they have to make good? Or am I being naive?
It's all about tendering and the lowest bidder. Pay peanuts and you get shit, to mangle the phrase. Also they don't make appointments to suit. If I add up the pay I've lost sitting waiting in for workmen that don't turn up and if they do, do a crap job anyway, it's cheaper to actually pay someone who knows what they're doing, and will do it well.

It's all about tendering and the lowest bidder. Pay peanuts and you get shit, to mangle the phrase. Also they don't make appointments to suit. If I add up the pay I've lost sitting waiting in for workmen that don't turn up and if they do, do a crap job anyway, it's cheaper to actually pay someone who knows what they're doing, and will do it well.
They are fucking idiots, they really are. Do it once, do it properly.... Grr

I had a howdens kitchen fitted a couple of years ago and still happy with it. Their rep came and measured up and gave me a printed out floorplan etc so i knew how many of each cupboard i needed.

Went to their tiny showroom around the back of bermondsey with my builder, chose units, paid and arranged delivery. They arrived on time and with no bits missing.

Bought the hob and oven.....no problems and it gets a lot of use. Also bought the intergral under counter fridge. Does what it says, not too small, but I've got a hefty old fridge freezer for the overflow.

Went elsewhere, well bloody everywhere actually, for the taps i wanted though :hmm:

@ringo... what did you do in the end?

We fitted an IKEA kitchen in our last flat and I loved it (although - mrs magpie - we had the same issue with piping, but the guy who fitted it adapted them to fit). But, now in this house, our builder told us he could get us a previous season's Howden's kitchen dead cheap. I must have read the same reviews as you, so I'm tempted. Of course, we meant to do this kitchen months ago and we are still putting it off and off and off.. :oops:

It's great. Much better quality than the Ikea job I had put in the last house. Some bits would have been oddly expensive - best to check on individual components. We chose the kitchen we wanted, and because I didn't have a strong opinion or interest in some things like the skirting boards we told him to just get what normally came with the kitchen or failing that what was in the picture in the brochure. This turned out not to be a good idea, he rang me up and asked if I really wanted to spend £600 on skirting, which I didn't, so he got the same as we had put everywhere else in the house. Still cost over £300 though (ffs).

You're only round the corner aren't you? Come and have a cup of tea and a nose :)

We had a Howden kitchen fitted just before Xmas. It's very solid, no problems there. We found a fitter and he just gave us his card number to buy what we wanted then he charged by the day.

We did however buy a dishwasher from them. It's shit, been fixed 3 times since December.

Elderly mother-in-law bought Howdens full package as recommended by builder. Kitchen was installed 10/04/2014. Double oven arrived damaged and was replaced. We just tried the dishwasher for the first time and it does not work. The programme selector button will not move from the pre-wash cycle. Repairman is booked for this week. It does not bode well.

Omg. Rereading this thread and I'm only now having a new kitchen! It's from wren and MrV is fitting it but just now he's plastering the walls . We knocked a wall down to make a kitchen diner and the island will house the ovens and hob.

I'm so excited. uploadfromtaptalk1403996044099.jpg

I wish I'd checked reviews before I bought my Howden's kitchen and was persuaded by their rep that their Lamona appliances were really good quality. My dishwasher blew up (literally sparks and smoke coming from it) after 2 washes and Howden's are refusing to replace it. My kitchen is not even fully installed yet and one of the appliances in knackered. Howden's will only agree to repair it but with all the scare stories on the news about dishwashers causing house fires I really don't want a repair. After spending £6000 on their units and appliances you would think their customer services would be better. I'm very disappointed. Also there was quite a bit of stuff missing and it's held the job up and meant several 50 mile round trips to pick them up. Not impressed!

If you cant get a decent builder to get the 80% off the list price that Howden's charge, have a look here.
On par, if not better quality cabinets, supplied assembled and no shitty Lamona appliances.

http://www.diy-kitchens.com/

And remember, a good fitter will make a shit kitchen look good and a bad fitter... well you know the rest. If you need a fitter, I know a really good one.

Back
Top Bottom