Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How much do you think doctors should get paid?

Should junior doctors strike for 33% pay increase?

• Total voters
Oh give over. Industrial disputes like this are always about the boss class attacking the terms and conditions of those doing the work. The side you're on should be obvious.
The Consultants are currently upwardly negotiating their salary with the threat of IA with Barclay. Tell me, who is the boss class and what defines them? Are Consultants not the boss class because they are employees? What if they also do private practice alongside NHS work as many do? Are they then boss class?

We’re not living in the Industrial Revolution anymore, make it relevant ffs.

The Consultants are currently upwardly negotiating their salary with the threat of IA with Barclay. Tell me, who is the boss class and what defines them? Are Consultants not the boss class because they are employees? What if they also do private practice alongside NHS work as many do? Are they then boss class?

We’re not living in the Industrial Revolution anymore, make it relevant ffs.
They’re waged employees, maybe inflation doesn’t affect them like anyone else idk 🤷‍♀️

sorry what your reason for Jr doctors not to be paid more again?

they are worked like bastards
Read the thread, I’ve stated my reasons clearly.

Also, I’m not against pay restoration. I just think the risk:benefit ratio of a four day strike after a four day bank holiday followed by a two day weekend tips the balance.

Patients will die (maybe not acutely, on the wards- but those waiting in the community certainly will). And patients awaiting long awaited elective surgery or appointments will be further delayed.

Is that enough of a reason for you?

Read the thread, I’ve stated my reasons clearly.

Also, I’m not against pay restoration. I just think the risk:benefit ratio of a four day strike after a four day bank holiday followed by a two day weekend tips the balance.

Patients will die (maybe not acutely, on the wards- but those waiting in the community certainly will). And patients awaiting long awaited elective surgery or appointments will be further delayed.

Is that enough of a reason for you?
Surely the constant degradation of the NHS is going to see (on balance) more patients dying.

Is the junior doctor strike solely about money, does it not look to improve patient safety as well?

Surely the constant degradation of the NHS is going to see (on balance) more patients dying.

Is the junior doctor strike solely about money, does it not look to improve patient safety as well?
It’s about money. We made the mistake of obfuscating the issue in the 2016 IA.

IA cannot save the NHS. That takes political will. And not voting Tory. The electorate have made their position clear.

Interesting you all feel we deserve pay restoration.

I’m ambivalent. Mainly because I feel so fucking bad at my nursing and HCA colleagues being absolutely fucking mugged off. That makes me want to cry. They work so hard.

Obviously a nurse doesn’t have the same responsibility as a doctor, hasn’t had the length of training, and doesn’t work our insane rotas.

But I still cannot in clear conscience stand on a picket line demanding my £51k salary be increased to £68k when my nursing colleagues are having to use food banks.
I don't understand the link between doctors taking industrial action and nurses using food banks?

FTR I have a friend who is a consultant and having to work a lot extra to cover hours over the strike and she is absolutely in favour of the juniors and thinks they're completely justified in doing so.
Many consultants are, and are earning excellent locum rates to do so

Interesting you all feel we deserve pay restoration.

I’m ambivalent. Mainly because I feel so fucking bad at my nursing and HCA colleagues being absolutely fucking mugged off. That makes me want to cry. They work so hard.

Obviously a nurse doesn’t have the same responsibility as a doctor, hasn’t had the length of training, and doesn’t work our insane rotas.

But I still cannot in clear conscience stand on a picket line demanding my £51k salary be increased to £68k when my nursing colleagues are having to use food banks.

Of course you can. Because you can also choose to support your colleagues in their disputes, champion their cause etc. It’s no more your fault that nurses aren’t paid adequately than it is their fault bin men aren’t paid adequately. Poor pay in other areas doesn’t negate your right to a decent wage. This should always be about improving the material conditions for all. Not a race to the bottom. In some ways I think it’s a shame health is divided in this way; none of you could function without the other, everyone should be fighting together for better across the board. It’d be so much more powerful.

It’s also about what’s important to us as a society innit; what do we value more etc.

Any worker who wins a pay rise makes it more likely that others will too, you're not taking money from nurses and HCAs, you're making it more likely that they would be more confident to stand firmer for their own pay rise if they see junior doctors doing so.

I really resent my non unionised colleagues who are willing to take any gains fought for by those who pay their subs and are willing to take IA.

She's not a locum, she just ends up having to do a load of extra hours to cover things, out of contract of course but you know how it goes. Management are apparently being stingy about hiring locums to cover.
She will be being paid locum rates to cover anything outside her contractual hours. That’s how it works.

Other parts of the public sector are requesting higher than inflation pay rises. Thinking back some years the FBU went for 40%

I’m sure they will not expect to get the full amount, but it’s part of negotiating innit

More like the current rate of inflation plus making up for a decade or more of real-terms pay cuts.

And not even making up for the lost income over that decade mind you, just bringing future wages to a point where they'd already be if they'd kept up with the cost of living.

No one gets paid what they're 'worth' or what they 'deserve', they get paid what they can persuade or coerce their employer to pay them.
If the Dr's feel they want a 33% payrise then go for it. I don't think they will get that but they won't get given one because Barclay is a nice chap.
As for nurses using food banks, before she lived with him, my Son's girlfriend used to share a house with three other nurses. Mrs Q was cool with Pollyanna raiding our fridge at the end of the month on their behalf. I was a damn foodbank. I often considered posting Hunt my grocery bill.

Starting 45k

Your level 65+

Saying you’re ok (which is a good thing obvs) so the pay level is fine seems to devalue the services/skills that are employed in the profession.
One of the knock on effects I would think of doctors wages being suppressed is the impact on the future talent pipeline.

If I am a bright kid doing A levels (this forum had some of them 20 years ago!) should I choose to study medicine for 5-7 years at uni?

Or am I better off doing a degree in something business related for 3 years and then a law conversion course (starting trainee salary in London for a city firm minimum 50k) or perhaps trying to get on a big 4 graduate scheme.

For plenty of people they will have to weigh up their vocation against their future financial security

Over the past year I've seen how fantastic doctors and nurses are.
My dad's life literally was saved by extremely well educated doctors. Not just well educated but well informed on the most up to date medicines etc and treatments.
The drs and nurses put their energy into saving my dad..an 83 yr old man. They were truly amazing. The man was nearly embarrassed at how much effort was put into saving his life.

They deserve their pay. They earn every penny.

One of the knock on effects I would think of doctors wages being suppressed is the impact on the future talent pipeline.

If I am a bright kid doing A levels (this forum had some of them 20 years ago!) should I choose to study medicine for 5-7 years at uni?

Or am I better off doing a degree in something business related for 3 years and then a law conversion course (starting trainee salary in London for a city firm minimum 50k) or perhaps trying to get on a big 4 graduate scheme.

For plenty of people they will have to weigh up their vocation against their future financial security
That’s it isn’t it? Why go in to medicine when you can start on silly money at Goldman or KPMG? Become a partner and make (potentially) billions. I’m 100% behind the docs. They’re underpayed (in the NHS anyway…as is everybody).

Back
Top Bottom