Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hootananny pub (formerly Hobgoblin)

brixtonvilla said:
But I'm right. Scots make shit beer.

Some bloody awful lagers, I'd agree, and some indifferent pints of heavy from the big boys- but Scottish independents and microbreweries are producing some of the best real ales now on the market.

I'm pretty sure that Flying Firkin are supplying several south London pubs with great beer from the Arran, Caledonian, Harviestoun, Heather Ale, Hebridean, Houston, Inveralmond, Orkney, Skye and Valhalla breweries.

I don't know what sort of beer supply contract the managers of Hootananny are tied to, but I dearly hope that they're going to have something more imaginative than Tennants as their "guest":mad:

I was handed a flyer for the HootaCanning at the Green Fair today. Very tastefully done - a young lady, holding a set of bagpipes, with a beckoning smile for the weary traveller. One hundred per cent class, and not at all tacky, sexist or sad.
:rolleyes: :D

ivebeenhigh said:
popped in there for a pint last night....it was really busy though every table was full outside at 1am.
Maybe it's just because it's new (beginner's luck)...or maybe they bussed people in for the opening night...but where the fcuk do all these people come from?

I've noticed a few times recently, particularly when the Commercial and the Prince Regent were revamped and trendied up, that virtually overnight a whole new scene of people seem to mysteriously appear. One minute the Regent was a usual boozer with a mix of old timers, loyal locals, pool players and young people with kids.... and the next it's jammed full of trendy 30 somethings, fashion-conscious lads with gelled hair & shiny new t-shirts, and posh kids out for lunch with mummy and daddy. I'm not necessarily against this...clearly those pubs are doing something that people want...but where the fcuk did all those people go before? Where did they drink before? I'd never seen any of them before. Are they locals? Why didn't they come to the pub beforehand?

Perhaps they never used to go out for a drink before - maybe the pubs were slightly ropey looking establishments and you couldnt see inside, maybe a fear that the local working classes would abuse them, or shout out obscenities during the football. Or perhaps all you need is a lick of pale green paint, some laminate flooring and meals costing over £10 to entice the new generation of young affluent professionals into your (ex) boozer. Is it really that simple? Maybe you're one of these people and you can explain it to me!

I'm not saying this will happen with the HootaHob, but it wouldn't surprise me if this mysterious new clientele group suddenly appeared at the HootaHob, now that it's been sanitised. I just don't understand it :confused:

I went into the Prince Regent for the first time this year, and I've been back three times since. I didn't go into it before it was done up because it wasn't near to where I lived - no need when there were perfectly decent boozers closer to me. I only go there now because I've got a little boy, and it's a very child-friendly place to have lunch on either Saturday or Sundy, so it's worth travelling to. More so before the smoking ban, because it had a big no smoking area with high ceilings that you felt fine taking a baby into.

Probably doesn't help much, but thought I'd chunk in my tuppence. Regarding the HootaCanning, opening nights are always popular. Wait and see how it all works out...

Yep. I thought when the Florence opened that either it, or the other two identikit pubs in the area (Commercial and Prince Regent) would really struggle. They seem to me to be aiming for exactly the same customers. And yet suddenly there's a load more people turning up.:confused:

Having said that though I don't think the Hootenanny in its current state is likely to attract those people.

It didn't surprise me that there were lots of people there on Saturday. It was the first night after all, and if I was curious then other people would have been. I think the challenge for a place like that is always going to be getting people in on midweek nights, especially if they've alienated the locals. It's a bit out on a limb for a lot of people I think.

Meet the new boss...

hobgoblin-goodbye-08.jpg

I'm going on Saturday. I shall be sure to make notes. ;)

bah! this is tommers, not lemontop.

altho she's going too. but probably not making notes.

Walked past last night and garden was pretty busy with all the usual faces, I didn't see any overt kilt wearing or reeling. Just the traditional drinking and nattering. I do prefer the red look though I have to say.

top_biller said:
Walked past last night and garden was pretty busy with all the usual faces, I didn't see any overt kilt wearing or reeling. Just the traditional drinking and nattering. I do prefer the red look though I have to say.

I visited there for the first time on Weds night and it was pretty quiet really - some of the old faces, but not as many by any means. Didn’t note many new faces either.

Strangely though, all the old regulars (myself included) now seemed to have taken up position on the far wall, as far away from the pub and music as you could get. Inside it was empty, bar a couple of folks indulging in Thai food and a couple of barhangs.

All in all the verdict from the three tables of the usual crew was that it was more of the same, only worse. On sunny nights like last night, folks will still meet up in the beer garden, but people are already mocking and being forced out by the music, which doesn't bode well for winter nights. I suspect that the early evenings will be ok, and people will trek back for big sporting games, but it'll struggle through the cooler months otherwise on present evidence.

All in all it's a pretty shoddy half-cut job. It's the same with crudely repainted surfaces, some cheap looking check/tartan curtains, some strange looking lampshades and newspapers pasted to the wall in the style of a 70s/80s student pub. The old main bar has now become a pseudo-restaurant, closed until late in the evening and lacking the pool table. The barn like back bar has now become the main bar and only opens up at 4pm now – FWIW I’d rather have it open earlier, preferably without the three surplus staff and a bouncer. In all it’s a bit of a Changing Rooms job – quick cosmetic paint over bubbling undercoat and little else, bar the levelling of the floor in the old main bar. A perfect example is the toilets – the drainage is still fucked, and whilst the door frames have been crudely painted, the same broken loo seats in place. A couple of the staff, the younger ones, were in unfetching kilts and sporran numbers, but were well outnumbered by the management and assorted hangers who weren’t. Similarly, if you’re expecting a a Scottish home from home when you walk in you’re likely to be disappointed – apart from the cheesy curtain. I had to endure a soundtrack of that notable highlander Sheryl Crow, the Welsh playing football and a deserted inner bar with only a couple of people eating Thai food. It’s a clearly half-baked, half followed through concept to be fair.

Plus points? The staff were friendly, if a little personality free and inept – three behind the bar when they opened late and still they failed to put sparklers on the pumps and ready the beers. They even managed to cock up the first three rounds that I witnessed, albeit all in the customers favour. Bargain! And the Thai food looks pretty good too – they’ve got a comprehensive menu in place, taken directly from a restaurant and still bearing Inverness address details, and a Thai family in the kitchen. Sod all to do with Scotland perhaps, but I like Thai food.

Not sure how it’ll pan out in the long run, but there are few signs that many will stay around for the live music. The cold snap will bring the real test.

tarannau said:
I visited there for the first time on Weds night and it was pretty quiet really - some of the old faces, but not as many by any means. Didn’t note many new faces either.

Strangely though, all the old regulars (myself included) now seemed to have taken up position on the far wall, as far away from the pub and music as you could get. Inside it was empty, bar a couple of folks indulging in Thai food and a couple of barhangs.

All in all the verdict from the three tables of the usual crew was that it was more of the same, only worse. On sunny nights like last night, folks will still meet up in the beer garden, but people are already mocking and being forced out by the music, which doesn't bode well for winter nights. I suspect that the early evenings will be ok, and people will trek back for big sporting games, but it'll struggle through the cooler months otherwise on present evidence.

All in all it's a pretty shoddy half-cut job. It's the same with crudely repainted surfaces, some cheap looking check/tartan curtains, some strange looking lampshades and newspapers pasted to the wall in the style of a 70s/80s student pub. The old main bar has now become a pseudo-restaurant, closed until late in the evening and lacking the pool table. The barn like back bar has now become the main bar and only opens up at 4pm now – FWIW I’d rather have it open earlier, preferably without the three surplus staff and a bouncer. In all it’s a bit of a Changing Rooms job – quick cosmetic paint over bubbling undercoat and little else, bar the levelling of the floor in the old main bar. A perfect example is the toilets – the drainage is still fucked, and whilst the door frames have been crudely painted, the same broken loo seats in place. A couple of the staff, the younger ones, were in unfetching kilts and sporran numbers, but were well outnumbered by the management and assorted hangers who weren’t. Similarly, if you’re expecting a a Scottish home from home when you walk in you’re likely to be disappointed – apart from the cheesy curtain. I had to endure a soundtrack of that notable highlander Sheryl Crow, the Welsh playing football and a deserted inner bar with only a couple of people eating Thai food. It’s a clearly half-baked, half followed through concept to be fair.

Plus points? The staff were friendly, if a little personality free and inept – three behind the bar when they opened late and still they failed to put sparklers on the pumps and ready the beers. They even managed to cock up the first three rounds that I witnessed, albeit all in the customers favour. Bargain! And the Thai food looks pretty good too – they’ve got a comprehensive menu in place, taken directly from a restaurant and still bearing Inverness address details, and a Thai family in the kitchen. Sod all to do with Scotland perhaps, but I like Thai food.

Not sure how it’ll pan out in the long run, but there are few signs that many will stay around for the live music. The cold snap will bring the real test.

Give it a sodding rest for Christ's sake. I've been in there four or five nights and it's vastly improved IMO. Cleaner, busier, plenty of friendly faces, a bouncer to clear the begging crack-heads away (possibly unfair comment but I've seen two being turfed out). Just get over your worrying anti-Scottishness and everything will be fine. Trust me. Either that or get laid or something. It really ain't that important

We popped in tonight. The band - bagpipes and rock music - seemed really good, but it was half empty and for some reason everyone seemed really miserable. Those who were there appeared to be sitting around with their heads in their hands. Such a shame. I felt really bad for the band who were really giving it their all and really looked quite good - I could have imagined them being popular at Offline, for example. We didn't stay. :( We'll probably give it another go some other time. I wouldn't wish failure on anyone.. but I do think this could be a tough nut to crack.

wurlycurly said:
Give it a sodding rest for Christ's sake. I've been in there four or five nights and it's vastly improved IMO. Cleaner, busier, plenty of friendly faces, a bouncer to clear the begging crack-heads away (possibly unfair comment but I've seen two being turfed out). Just get over your worrying anti-Scottishness and everything will be fine. Trust me. Either that or get laid or something. It really ain't that important

You can't seriously say his post has anything to do with being anti-Scottish?:rolleyes:

Monkeygrinder's Organ said:
You can't seriously say his post has anything to do with being anti-Scottish?:rolleyes:

Read the thread!

Popped in the other day with an old school hob reg and we both had a wicked time. i can understand the fear of upheaval of your local - the only place i really considered to be my local in nz got knocked down to make way for a motorway. this is far less extreme... its pretty much unchanged, bitta cheap deco and cheap musos. guinness seems better too.... ;)

had a chat to the lads behind the bar on the w/e and they seemed ok to me? i did overhear the sound of piped bagpipes as i went past last night mind u. ha! fuck it.... i reckon its a laugh.

tommers said:
oh god. my birthday is going to be such a fucking disaster. :(

It'll be great I'm sure... it was more that there wasn't a very up for it crowd in there last night - punters were a bit thin on the ground and most were outside. It did seem unusually gloomy for some reason but actually we were out elsewhere beforehand which was also quiet and the owners thought that maybe everywhere was like that because of rugby and various other TV sporting events...??

Anyway, it's about who you go with - or is that the worry?? :eek: :D

You missed more fun earlier in the evening then. The pub actually had a fair few people in to watch the rugby, which they were showing in the smaller bar. The only problem being that that they've disconnected all the speakers bar two that seem to have been pinched from a teenager's phone on the bus. All you could really hear was the sound of the band doing the soundcheck next door.Numerous bods complained- fairplay to the hassled looking staff in doing their polite best, but it was pretty hopeless. Teething problems maybe, but it'd have helped it they had followed the first law of refurbishment: don't disconnect all the existing kit until you've adequate or better replacement in place.

I suspect the shitty atmosphere arose because you had the main music bar nearly empty ( a few mothers and dancing toddlers excepted) and everyone huddled away from the music in the beer garden and in the other bar, pissed off with the leaking guitar sounds. Dub would have loved them - a predictably routine pubrock bunch strutting around dressed like extras from Sgt Pepper. And then when they finished, long promised by the management to the rugby-watching bar, the whole place was swamped by the sounds of what sounded like a 2-unlimited style techno beat overlaid by bagpipes. There was quite a Dunkirk spirit in the bar by that stage, but they managed to piss off the remaining rugby watchers and a fair few new faces with that.

Thai food still looks good, people are genuinely giving it a go. But the music's driving people away rather than drawing them in. And it's an increasingly weird hotch potch of an offering - Liza and the Jazz sessions are back on Sunday for example - with the original plans for live Scottish music every night becoming more of a millstone than an attraction.

tarannau - i think we sat behind you last night.
i should have said 'hi' but wasn't sure if it was you cos your hair seems 'darker' and i was stoned.

the pub itself is shit.
and i nearly had an argument with the kid behind the bar cos he wouldn't give me the food menu!

"just find a thai person and ask them. it's their job not mine."

WTF!!!

then the older bloke (landlord perhaps?) overheard the nonsense, ran to the other room and passed me the menu.

jesus christ.

anyways, i went there for the asian food.
and the food is of very good quality.
(from the taste of the satay sauce, there's a malay influence. odd).

two course meal for 17 squid.

we will defo go to this place again.
but only if the rugby/footie is not on.

shame about the bar itself though cos i hope this little thai thing survive the first 12 months...

Shame I somehow managed to miss you CA - would have been good to say hi. Were you sat with the (OCB) kiwis behind me?

Still, good to hear the Thai food tastes as fine as it looked. I can't really begrudge them any success - they look like they've brought a fair chunk of a whole Inverness Thai restaurant with them, comprehensive menu included - but it's not exactly a seamless match. If the rugby hadn't been playing then you'd have still been eating in much emptier room, accompanied to sounds of dadrock guitar tuning up and soundchecks from next door. Not perfect. And shit that there's already tension between the bar and Thai franchise. I'm guessing it was the public schoolboy in a kilt who was brief with you - to be fair he was copping a lot of stick about the lack of rugby sound and the novelty of his tartan skirt was definitely wearing thin with him.

Thai food and the sport are two potential bright spots for this place, but the music side's a bit of unpopular shambles at the moment. The garden's warm enough to sit in for now, but for how long.

tarannau said:
Were you sat with the (OCB) kiwis behind me?

nope.
we sat near the corner.
we left pretty much after you.
will say 'hi' next time.

you mean the public schoolboy who was chewing the straw and flicking his hair to the ladies all night? yeah him! lol!

i never went to the hob much - except for liverpool games etc - so i can't say if the place has lost it's atmosphere.

but as a pub - this excludes the thai folks - the hootananny have targeted the wrong audience.
the management should have researched what works in brixton.
what kind of people live here (is there a scottish community i not know about?).
at the moment, it's all too gimmicky and old fashioned.
and i hate pubs with kids.
hate feeling guilty cos i said the 'fuck' or 'cunt' word.
and christ you're right, the music is shite.

Oh my god get over your selfs some of you. I went late on Sat night for the first time and actualy thought it was a shame that there wasnt more people. The live band was fantastic. Never herd anything like it before. They gave it their all. O.k i agree its not the standard of the pubs say on Dulwich road, but at least its had a lick of paint and the plants dont look half dead and uncared for like some of the people that used to go.

CharlieAddict said:
what kind of people live here (is there a scottish community i not know about?).

According to the 2001 census, about 2000 of us scots in the brixton ward.

Apparently there are more Scots than Irish in London, though you wouldn't think so.

Even if there's a lot of Scottish people somewhere, is it going to follow that there's going to be a lot of demand for a ceilidh bar? How many of them are there in Glasgow?

mwareing1 said:
Oh my god get over your selfs some of you. I went late on Sat night for the first time and actualy thought it was a shame that there wasnt more people. The live band was fantastic. Never herd anything like it before. They gave it their all. O.k i agree its not the standard of the pubs say on Dulwich road, but at least its had a lick of paint and the plants dont look half dead and uncared for like some of the people that used to go.

this is the right answer.

although I was a teensy bit drunk.

and I'm not sure about the dulwich road bit.

Back
Top Bottom