Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Herne Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

I meant rota cock-up. A bit of a miss on a sunny Sunday afternoon.

Sure. I got that. I was just amused that some of the staff were so clueless.

The cock-up might stem from them having 15 employees getting in each other's way on Saturday afternoon!

Went to Milkwood for dinner. It was full at the back restaurant (on a Tuesday!). We asked to eat at the bar and had starters. Then they said the kitchen could not manage our mains. But they plied us with free drinks instead and we went for a kebab on the way home.

Went to Milkwood for dinner. It was full at the back restaurant (on a Tuesday!). We asked to eat at the bar and had starters. Then they said the kitchen could not manage our mains. But they plied us with free drinks instead and we went for a kebab on the way home.
They are clearly having problems managing the demand. The kitchen shut on Sunday afternoon, and they weren't open yesterday lunchtime either.

Anyone know/ have used a decent osteopath locally?

And spare me the 'there's no medical evidence' speeches. Thanks in advance.

Anyone know/ have used a decent osteopath locally? <snip>
A quick google shows several in Streatham (mostly along the high road, so on a direct bus route), but I haven't used one so I can't recommend any. Best of luck in finding a good one.

Failing that, there's one in Balham (again untried by me) who does sports massage as well as osteopathy.

I find myself always giving a quid or two on top when I know I shouldn't. I'm sceptical that the 12.5% goes to the staff. Also, if staff get tips and it's on a credit card, they'll pay tax and National Insurance on it.

So the whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

They pay tax (not NI) on cash tips, too. It's always worth checking that card tips (that is, tips added to a card) do actually go to the staff though.

Service charges added automatically to the bill are additionally subject to NI, even if 'voluntary' - it's slightly odd as they're not treated as tips per se but more like a bonus you choose to pay to the restaurant, which the restaurant may then choose to augment its staff's wages with (hence NI).

Basically service charges are not exactly tips.

It's always worth checking that card tips (that is, tips added to a card) do actually go to the staff though.

I used to ask that question every time I ate out, but don't do it anymore as I have never had someone say "no, it doesn't".

They pay tax (not NI) on cash tips, too. It's always worth checking that card tips (that is, tips added to a card) do actually go to the staff though.

Service charges added automatically to the bill are additionally subject to NI, even if 'voluntary' - it's slightly odd as they're not treated as tips per se but more like a bonus you choose to pay to the restaurant, which the restaurant may then choose to augment its staff's wages with (hence NI).

Basically service charges are not exactly tips.
They don't pay tax if they stick it straight in their pocket.

I've already paid tax on the tip I'm giving them. The last thing I want is for the waiting staff to get taxed on it again.

They don't pay tax if they stick it straight in their pocket.

I've already paid tax on the tip I'm giving them. The last thing I want is for the waiting staff to get taxed on it again.
Eh? The I've already paid tax on it argument could be applied to anything you buy from anyone? If there is an argument not to tax tips, that's not it.

I hate the tipping culture. It should not be necessary in order to make wages up to an acceptable level. It should be reserved for when someone goes out of their way for you rather than generally expected, as it is here. It certainly should not be automatically added to bill.

Eh? The I've already paid tax on it argument could be applied to anything you buy from anyone? If there is an argument not to tax tips, that's not it.

I hate the tipping culture. It should not be necessary in order to make wages up to an acceptable level. It should be reserved for when someone goes out of their way for you rather than generally expected, as it is here. It certainly should not be automatically added to bill.
It's funny isn't it how plebs are forced to pay tax on the circulation of money.

When it was suggested we have the Tobin Tax on High Frequency Trading and other questionable activities in "The City" lo Boris Dave etc jump into action to defend the indefensible (and win).

It's funny isn't it how plebs are forced to pay tax on the circulation of money.

When it was suggested we have the Tobin Tax on High Frequency Trading and other questionable activities in "The City" lo Boris Dave etc jump into action to defend the indefensible (and win).

I don't know much about HFT, but the tax was a transaction tax wasn't it? Totally unrelated to income or profit, i.e. you pay the tax for participating, irrespective of whether you make or lose money. I'm not familiar with the arguments for or against but it's not a great comparison to tax on income, whether basic wage or tip/bonus.

Yeah, get income tax taken off my pay, have VAT taken off whatever I buy and then the man who sells it to me has to pay income tax on money he has earned. But a tip, to me, seems more like a gift than payment for an agreed service, so I'd not care if the cash goes straight in the pocket.

Yeah, get income tax taken off my pay, have VAT taken off whatever I buy and then the man who sells it to me has to pay income tax on money he has earned. But a tip, to me, seems more like a gift than payment for an agreed service, so I'd not care if the cash goes straight in the pocket.
But would you be making them that "gift" if they had not just served you? If the answer is no - then the payment was conditional upon on the service. In which case it is not really a gift, is it. It's a bonus.

I'd have thought one of the biggest arguments against taxing tips is that it is pretty hard to effectively to enforce.

Cyril the Herne Hill Squirrel, who lives with Elaine the flower lady, has a new custom-made gaffe outside her shop. :D Apparently he spent half an hour "moving in" and shifting his bedding from one bit of his new home to another. He's being released in a couple of weeks - I told her there should be a ceremony with a ribbon and everything.

I used to ask that question every time I ate out, but don't do it anymore as I have never had someone say "no, it doesn't".

It's usually the franchisey chains where you have to ask - Cafe Rouge, Chiquitos, etc. They will always say cash is better. Though at the more enlightened ones like Pizza Express etc they'll tell you it makes no difference

Dinner at Milkwood again last night. Really nice crowd, staff and atmosphere. Very busy. Good beers and, I'm reliably told, cocktails But the food was sadly average to poor. I really hope they sort the kitchen out. Friend we were with said she would not choose to eat there again.

Popped into Off the Cuff. It just felt a bit self conscious and lacking in atmosphere. No band when I was there. Although there was a group up and dancing and enjoying themselves. It seems odd that they have to keep doors and gates closed whilst The Commercial and Milkwood customers are all spoiling out in the street.

Cyril the Herne Hill Squirrel, who lives with Elaine the flower lady, has a new custom-made gaffe outside her shop. :D Apparently he spent half an hour "moving in" and shifting his bedding from one bit of his new home to another. He's being released in a couple of weeks - I told her there should be a ceremony with a ribbon and everything.
Looked a bit stressed yesterday. I wouldn't make too much of an event of releasing him. It's a criminal offence (officially vermin, invasive species). :eek:

Looked a bit stressed yesterday. I wouldn't make too much of an event of releasing him. It's a criminal offence (officially vermin, invasive species). :eek:
As a matter of fact, I believe the law states if you manage to catch one you must humanely have it destroyed :(

As a matter of fact, I believe the law states if you manage to catch one you must humanely have it destroyed :(
Fair enough, I suppose. But he phrase "shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted" comes to mind in respect of American greys.

I don't know much about HFT, but the tax was a transaction tax wasn't it? Totally unrelated to income or profit, i.e. you pay the tax for participating, irrespective of whether you make or lose money. I'm not familiar with the arguments for or against but it's not a great comparison to tax on income, whether basic wage or tip/bonus.
Yes it was a transaction tax, and was suggested to penalise over-trading as a means of skimming off profits from ordinary investors. So a good thing I would have thought.

You were complaining about paying tax to employ people out of your already taxed earnings. Whilst significant this is a mere pittance compared with all the corruption in the currency and bond markets which we hear about every day on the news.

Back
Top Bottom