Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Herne Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

I bet they've got a hot take on Covid and the Great Reset too.

What the hell is a 'climate lockdown' btw?
It’s what they call LTNs and similar because they stop you from leaving your area 🫠

Hey everyone, we are a local charity running a FREE SEND stay and play session in Tulse Hill area, be great if you can shareRising Stars flyer Twitter Post.png

The health centre in Railton Road has been knocked down. From memory there was a covenant saying it had to remain a health centre. Anyone know what's replacing it?
The health authority themselves put in a planning application for housing.
Planning website says this:

intriguingly the 2017 withdrawn application refers back to a 2015 approved application for 5 town houses - which I recall as being done by the health authority.

If you can find the 2015 application please let us know - it probably got lost in Lambeth's Winchester planning admin section!
BTW this site disposal was supposed to be necessary to finance the Ackerman Centre - in 2013!

Jim Dickson has put these up on Twitter
Dickson shop lifting.jpegdisckson sainsbury.jpeg
I personally agree with the sentiment (though I'm sure there are those on Urban who don't). But what is the point of writing to the CEO of companies valued at £25bn (Tesco) and £7 bn (Sainsbury)?
Its throwing the problem back into the supermarket's court. Like we (Lambeth Council, the Police, the residents and stakeholders etc) hear your cry about shop-lifting.
But when we try to do something about it your store managers are unable to assist because of company policy. The ball's in your court matey!
In my young day this was called "Ping pong diplomacy".
And of course this is part of one's CV: "I've written to the supermarket CEOs about the problem their stores have already told them about."

I think it's worth a try personally. The CEO has the power to change policy or make an exception. Seems a bit crazy they're not keen on providing evidence to the police.

Shoplifting is not victimless because the shops need to make their losses back by raising the price of groceries for everyone else

I think it's worth a try personally. The CEO has the power to change policy or make an exception. Seems a bit crazy they're not keen on providing evidence to the police.

Shoplifting is not victimless because the shops need to make their losses back by raising the price of groceries for everyone else

The shoplifting in M &S Streatham Hill is absolutely blatant. Didn't see any security staff last week as a bloke strolled out with a load of premium meat products.

The shoplifting in M &S Streatham Hill is absolutely blatant. Didn't see any security staff last week as a bloke strolled out with a load of premium meat products.
Good job (for them) the culprits don't face "African justice".
I was strolling through the wholesale market in Accra years go and some young man took a coconut off a heavily laden lorry. He was immediately set upon and his head banged on the road - I wondered if he could possibly avoid brain damage.

Public shaming of these otherwise anonymous millionaire CEOs of billionaire companies is probably more likely to be effective than most things. maybe there's a tacit threat of some actual action when the MP pipes up. if it's criminal behaviour that's affecting the community then surely there's a case for these companies footing the bill to rectify it.
and I understand why workers/security guards might not want to get involved due to the threat of violence, but what is a security guard doing at all then?

I was in Oxfam in HH the other day and witnessed one of the usual suspects blatantly stealing a load of stuff. From a charity shop! She was thrown out by one of the staff who was clearly resigned to it. "I won't call the police (because what's the point) but don't come back".

Seems odd when there have been stories in the exact opposite direction recently - that retailers were trying to pass CCTV to the police, who refused them on grounds of data protection.

Reactions: CH1
Seems odd when there have been stories in the exact opposite direction recently - that retailers were trying to pass CCTV to the police, who refused them on grounds of data protection.
Or who said they'd not pursue it unless the shop could ID the person.

I can understand why staff wouldn't want to pursue prosecution proceedings, unless their managers would support them to move store (if they wanted to, if it was even available). Realistically most shoplifters will get a fine, a warning, maybe a suspended sentence at worst, and are free to walk back in to your store, now with a grievance against you.

Last edited:
I can't understand why staff wouldn't want to pursue prosecution proceedings, unless their managers would support them to move store (if they wanted to, if it was even available). Realistically most shiftlifters will get a fine, a warning, maybe a suspended sentence at worst, and are free to walk back in to your store, now with a grievance against you.
Happened to a friend of mine who worked for Tescos in Highbury. Police were called near midnight closing time - he got home some hours late having given statements etc. and then had to get night buses.
Don't know what happened to the criminals, but their behaviour was apparently violent in the first place, which is why the police were called.
I think if staff are scared to do their job the end is nigh!

PS I saw an incident well pre covid when someone tried to walk out of LJ Costcutter with booze.
The proprietor - a not so tall, but evidently fit Asian ran round the counter, grabbed the cans and kicked the guy out telling him not to come back.
The miscreant was white - so no chance of discrimination issues fortunately.

I can't understand why staff wouldn't want to pursue prosecution proceedings, unless their managers would support them to move store (if they wanted to, if it was even available). Realistically most shiftlifters will get a fine, a warning, maybe a suspended sentence at worst, and are free to walk back in to your store, now with a grievance against you.
I can can't understand why staff wouldn't want to pursue prosecution proceedings...... ??

Back
Top Bottom