Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Herne Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

I got a snap too. Now that the restrictions are in 100m up the road I'm struggling to work out where they had come from unless they drove through the ltn restrictions. It doesn't make sense to have come up Hurst and then swung a right as you're going in circles.
you'd be surprised but they often do - looking for parking half the time it seems

I was wondering why those railway arch shops are vacant on the main strip. And why Canopy Brewery packed things in. Then I read these reviews
Can confirm, rents have gone up big time. Makerspace is doing ok; membership income scales very well and we're not trying to make a profit, but everyone else on the estate is struggling. I wouldn't be surprised to see the mechanics go soon. Arch co. have massively reduced the available space for cars.

They seem to be doing up loads of arches, in LJ and Camberwell too, but I wonder who exactly they hope to fill them with. There are so many arches in S London; hundreds of them; you can't fill them all with cafes and craft breweries.

Yeah I never really get that either. Where are the new businesses clamouring for small commercial or industrial space who can afford these new rents

It used to be craft breweries that hit the sweet spot in terms of requiring lots of floor space but not necessarily lots of natural light and footfall.

Now I have no idea, the original reason people used arches was cheap rent there's no point in offering them at/above market rent when there are so many normal shops in better locations that are lying empty.

It used to be craft breweries that hit the sweet spot in terms of requiring lots of floor space but not necessarily lots of natural light and footfall.

Now I have no idea, the original reason people used arches was cheap rent there's no point in offering them at/above market rent when there are so many normal shops in better locations that are lying empty.
There is no point offering anything above market rent. That's what market rent means.

Actually I would argue that market rent is a slippery and mostly meaningless term used by brokers.

In the case of Arch Co they must have put together a business plan based on an assumption of "market rent" that is way out of line with what the actual market is willing to pay for this type of property.

A reckoning is on its way, just like for the owners of big buildings in the city. Dodgy property investments have already bankrupted several local authorities who have to account for it "properly".

what the actual market is willing to pay for this type of property.
Well, that's what the market rent is.

Just because someone makes a wrong assumption or estimate of what the market rent is for something, it doesn't stop it from being a meaningful and real concept.

If you start renting things below what you think the market rate is than that decreases the market rate. Think they’re playing a longish game and happy for spaces to be empty until they can rent them for more.

If you start renting things below what you think the market rate is than that decreases the market rate. Think they’re playing a longish game and happy for spaces to be empty until they can rent them for more.
Many of the loans these large landlords have on the balance sheet have covenants that are based on average rental potential; hence they are incented, as long as cash flow permits, to keep the spaces empty instead of letting and risking a breach of covenant.

Many of the loans these large landlords have on the balance sheet have covenants that are based on average rental potential; hence they are incented, as long as cash flow permits, to keep the spaces empty instead of letting and risking a breach of covenant.
Can you explain in a bit more detail what that means exactly?

Can you explain in a bit more detail what that means exactly?
I will try.

typically the legal entity that operates retail premises will finance the acquisition of those premises by taking a loan. unlike say your mortgage or car loan, these loans have additional conditions (covenants) that need to be satisfied aside from ‘make the payments on time’. A typical one is maintaining the loan to value ratio (LTV) above a certain level. The mechanics of how and when the value can be reasessed vary and are specific to the loan, but typically have to do with the cash flow potential of the property.

so, if you as a debt funded landlord have some empty premises that you are ‘just about to get a tenant for, any day now’ you can say that it still has the higher earning potential. But if you bite the bullet and start writing long leases at lower prices, then you will be pushing that ratio down toward breach. And if you breach, the lenders will have some recourse which will be unpalatable to the landlord; perhaps callign the loan, or ratchetiing up the interest rate, or exercising some kind of debt-to-equity covnersion right.

this article from a few years back illustrates the dynamic that can result:

I dont know what the situation with the balance sheet of ‘The Arch Company‘ is, but in 2018 blackstone led a 1.5 billion raise to buy out network rail, with apparently some 750 million coming from Merrill lynch (there are articles in the FT from 2018/19 on this but they are behind a paywall). Typically the terms of these things will be ‘commercial in confidence’ So not a lot of info on the covenants.

Hope that helps. More generally, to appreciate the complexity of leveraged financing have a look at this: https://www.cliffordchance.com/cont...n-us-and-european-leveraged-finance-terms.pdf

You might want to skip reading that unless you like having a headache which requires several stiff drinks. The complexity from all of this arises from the old truism: “if you owe the bank a little money and cant pay, you have a problem. If you owe the bank a lot of money and cant pay, the bank has a problem.”

just another case of entirely legitimate mechanisms in financial capitalism leading to bad incentives and negative consequences.

I see, thanks. Or, I don't see really.

I'd have thought, if I were a lender, and I was worried that they weren't going to pay me back, I'd be incentivised to assess the things on the basis of what they were actually getting paid in rent rather than what they claimed to be about to be getting paid in rent.

I see, thanks. Or, I don't see really.

I'd have thought, if I were a lender, and I was worried that they weren't going to pay me back, I'd be incentivised to assess the things on the basis of what they were actually getting paid in rent rather than what they claimed to be about to be getting paid in rent.
Imagine you are the Arch company and your boss ("Mr Blackstone") employs you to manage the arches.

Would you be the one to tell them that valuing the arches at 1.5 billion was a mistake and they will never see a good return on that investment, or would you keep on trying to find tenants willing to pay silly amounts of rent?

It's much more convenient for the owners to leave it empty than face up to reality that it's a dud investment.

Imagine you are the Arch company and your boss ("Mr Blackstone") employs you to manage the arches.

Would you be the one to tell them that valuing the arches at 1.5 billion was a mistake and they will never see a good return on that investment, or would you keep on trying to find tenants willing to pay silly amounts of rent?

It's much more convenient for the owners to leave it empty than face up to reality that it's a dud investment.

The other this is that they are assuming that the current economic situation is over in a year or two, and so signing 10 or 20 year leases at reduced rates is a bad idea.

The point is not about what I'd do but what my "boss" would do. That is, notice that the places are standing empty and not earning anything. And not just take my word for things.

So far it's who:

Walters the butchers
Seasons greengrocers (twice)
Canopy
The mechanics
The car place the other side of canopy
The fishmonger?
Is the food & veg place in Bath estate surviving?
Its been going on for so long I've forgotten what replaced Bleu in the end unit.

New additions are lark and the cafe place -- plus the electricity transformer unit that they forgot to instal the first time around and tried to kick out Elaine the flower lady when they realised their mistake.

I have to say though Gail’s is hopefully peak of the recent additions although the pavement extensions of Llewelyns and its sister place are really starting to piss me off.

Isnt "the area around Herne Hill Station" public land? What if i want to walk my dog there and this event is taking place so i cant for 1 night of the year? Plus think of all the litter and noise. I object.

Back
Top Bottom