Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Herne Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

Shoplifting is not victimless because the shops need to make their losses back by raising the price of groceries for everyone
Before any talk of shoplifting - the Sainsburys Local in Herne Hill used to be one of the most profitable in the country, as it charged well above sainsbury's usual prices - I always refuse to shop there as it was an absolute rip off.

Supermarkets used to routinely throw out food rather than sell it cheaper to keep prices up.

Not sure why everyone is suddenly concerned with shoplifting.

Hard to prove that the HH shop is the most profitable in the country as that data is not available on an outlet basis. It is true that the convenience store formats of Tesco and Sainsbury are more expensive than the larger supermarkets and online (which have national pricing). Not only about 5% more expensive but their reduced space means fewer (lower margin) own label products are stocked.

Would be interested to see the evidence that shows this is "one of the most profitable in the country"
This sounded odd to me too. I would have thought, for example, the one in Victoria Place arcade as part of Victoria Station would be more profitable, even with a potentially higher rent for the space.

Below is from an email circular for Whirled Cinema members.

For anyone who doesn't know about it, Whirled Cinema is in one of the railway arches along Hardess Road. 2 minutes walk from Loughborough Junction station. Membership is £99 for a year (you can buy it monthly too). For that, you can see a different film pretty much every week of the year, and you can bring a friend with you too. It means that if you go regularly it costs less than £2 per person, but even if you just go once a month it's still a lot less expensive than going to a mainstream cinema. There's generally an interesting programme of films, and it's a decent screen and sound system.

It's a friendly place, there's a bar and you don't have to sit through any adverts before the film starts.

Use it or lose it! It's really been struggling to get people through the doors since covid.

We are writing to you with an appeal regarding the future of Whirled Cinema.

As you may know, the cinema industry has faced unprecedented challenges over the past couple of years due to the economic downturn caused by the global pandemic.

Whirled Cinema, much like countless other businesses, has not been immune to these challenges.

The Whirled Cinema in Loughborough Junction has always thrived on the vibrant energy and support of its dedicated community members, and it is in this spirit that we reach out to you today.

Our mission has been to create a space where film enthusiasts and artists alike can come together to enjoy thought-provoking, entertaining, and culturally enriching cinematic experiences. However, the combination of lockdowns, restrictions, and economic uncertainty has cast a shadow over our ability to continue delivering on this promise.

Membership, which has always been the backbone of our community, has unfortunately taken a hit. We have lost three quarters (from peak) of our membership which has resulted in the cinema running at a loss since the pandemic hit.

Despite our best efforts to adapt to the changing circumstances, the financial strain has been considerable.

In this challenging time, we are turning to our cherished Whirled Cinema community for support. Your contributions have the power to make a real difference in ensuring that Whirled Cinema not only survives but continues to thrive and we are at a critical point. There are a few ways in which you can help:

1. Spread the Word: Share your love for Whirled Cinema with friends, family, and colleagues. Your word-of-mouth endorsements can introduce new audiences to our space and help bolster our attendance.

2. Membership Renewals: For those whose memberships have lapsed or are up for renewal, we kindly urge you to consider renewing. Your ongoing membership will be a testament to your commitment to the cinema and its community.

3. Purchase a gift membership: Get a gift membership. A Whirled Gift Membership is for all year round, not just for Xmas and goes a long way to supporting our cinema.

4. Volunteer Assistance: If you have skills or expertise that could be of assistance to the cinema, whether in marketing, event planning, or any other relevant area, we welcome your support.

5. Monetary Donations: If you are in a position to do so, your financial support can provide a lifeline for the cinema. Even a small donation can go a long way in helping us cover operational costs, maintain our unique programming, and keep the cinematic experience alive.

We understand that times are tough for people and with the cost-of-living crisis everyone has to be more mindful than ever but it worth noting that our membership model still represents excellent value for money, and any contribution you can make, be it financial or otherwise, is deeply appreciated.

If you’d like to discuss further, please email Mike@whirledcinema.com

Last edited:
Attempted mugging of my 11 year old child outside Gail’s this afternoon. Police aware
Wow. Sorry to hear that. Hope he's ok. A friend of mine volunteers with Love Your Doorstep patrolling school streets around Herne hill. Sounds ugly at times. Best wishes.

Here's more info:

birdhouse.jpg

Bird House London, the team behind leading neighbourhood drinking and dining venues The Hawk’s Nest and Peckham Arches, is delighted to announce the arrival of their latest venue, Bird House Brewery – a neighbourhood brewery, taproom and cocktail bar located underneath a railway arch on Bath Factory Estate, Herne Hill.

Officially opening on Thursday 28th March, the new brewery will be serving up signature cocktails, wines, craft beers and street food alongside the venue’s very own house lager and pale ale.

Been to the Birdhouse Brewery a few times now. Nice enough place, but beer range is quite small compared to Canopy. Also I think the Canopy beer was better. Good luck to them though, hope they do well. Nice place to sit for a beer when the sun is out.

Been to the Birdhouse Brewery a few times now. Nice enough place, but beer range is quite small compared to Canopy. Also I think the Canopy beer was better. Good luck to them though, hope they do well. Nice place to sit for a beer when the sun is out.
Their press launch was a curiously understated affair - it was so quiet that I assumed I'd arrived the wrong night at first - but their session lager was lovely.

Back
Top Bottom