Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hackney chitter-chatter &tc

In other news the elected Tory councillor in my ward is a homophobic dickhead:
I get the bus up through Stamford Hill most mornings , and sometimes walk back from there. There are a lot of schools, no idea which are official ones and unofficial ones tbh. There should not be unofficial ones at all imo (I'm not a parent tbf, so wtf do I know etc..)

In Clapton news , murder on Friday night :(

Around the corner from me , and close to the Polish 24 hour mini supermarket.

I particularly like this one...one of my earliest memories is playing in tut' concrete tube on tut playground, with a little puddle running down the middle of it. happy days! not really actually, even aged five i kind of sensed this was a bit shit and possibly could be improved on somehow

_110634986_final-20.jpg

This is the book - a few more pics on the website

I see from their web site that they are seeking volunteers
  • DRIVERS: we need drivers with a clean valid license who can offer at least 4 hours on Tuesdays from 10am to 2pm, or at least 3 hours on Wednesdays from 12pm to 3pm
  • ADMIN: People with good admin skills who can commit to weekly hours in the office, eg 2-3 Tues-Thurs helping to process records or co-ordinate food collections
  • SERVING CLIENTS: Volunteers who can commit to serving clients weekly at the Foodbank sessions, particularly on:
    • Mondays from 10.30am-1.30pm
    • Tuesdays from 10.45am-2pm
    • Thursdays from 10.30am-3pm
  • WAREHOUSING: Helping in our warehouse weekly on Monday-Wed for 3 hours anytime between 9am and 3pm
I would imagine there will be even greater need for help in the coming weeks and months.

I see from their web site that they are seeking volunteers
  • DRIVERS: we need drivers with a clean valid license who can offer at least 4 hours on Tuesdays from 10am to 2pm, or at least 3 hours on Wednesdays from 12pm to 3pm
  • ADMIN: People with good admin skills who can commit to weekly hours in the office, eg 2-3 Tues-Thurs helping to process records or co-ordinate food collections
  • SERVING CLIENTS: Volunteers who can commit to serving clients weekly at the Foodbank sessions, particularly on:
    • Mondays from 10.30am-1.30pm
    • Tuesdays from 10.45am-2pm
    • Thursdays from 10.30am-3pm
  • WAREHOUSING: Helping in our warehouse weekly on Monday-Wed for 3 hours anytime between 9am and 3pm
I would imagine there will be even greater need for help in the coming weeks and months.
Even though I have some fundamental issues with food banks, I'd be up for helping out with admin or something.

Like all those with a standard 9-5 job though I couldn't do those hours. Maybe they need to think about letting people do those kind of roles in the evening..?

Even though I have some fundamental issues with food banks, I'd be up for helping out with admin or something.

Like all those with a standard 9-5 job though I couldn't do those hours. Maybe they need to think about letting people do those kind of roles in the evening..?
I'm assuming those are the pre-Covid arrangements, and that there's a possibility that things will change as demand increases.

As it happens, I have next week off work anyway, so I'm planning to get in touch with them Monday morning and see what's happening.

And once I go back to work I have the use of a Hackney Council vehicle which may have to be pressed into alternative emergency usage...

Last edited:
Can you keep us updated on that, andysays ? Thanks.

A friend's just been telling me she put a note though her elderly neighbour's door with her phone number and asking her to call if she needs anything. They ended up having a long chat on the phone -- she's in her 80s and already does all her grocery shopping online but has promised to keep in touch and let my friend know if she needs anything. I hope we'll see a lot more of this kind of thing. (My neighbours are all young. Already doing this with friends who live locally.)

Can you keep us updated on that, andysays ? Thanks.

A friend's just been telling me she put a note though her elderly neighbour's door with her phone number and asking her to call if she needs anything. They ended up having a long chat on the phone -- she's in her 80s and already does all her grocery shopping online but has promised to keep in touch and let my friend know if she needs anything. I hope we'll see a lot more of this kind of thing. (My neighbours are all young. Already doing this with friends who live locally.)
Will do

Reactions: Sue
I've been exploring Hackney Marshes more in my daily state sanctioned exercise, came across somewhere today that I had not previously heard of. Wick Woodland, will be having a wander around there over the next weeks. As far as I can tell, it used to be football pitches but was given over to nature a few decades ago and now we have a forest in Hackney! Anyone know much about it ?

I've been exploring Hackney Marshes more in my daily state sanctioned exercise, came across somewhere today that I had not previously heard of. Wick Woodland, will be having a wander around there over the next weeks. As far as I can tell, it used to be football pitches but was given over to nature a few decades ago and now we have a forest in Hackney! Anyone know much about it ?

I think that some of the crowd from Tree Muskateers and the permaculture project across the road were involved in planting it back in the day. Don't shout about it too much as it is the only quiet spot left in the borough.
IMG_20200324_133051_1_BURST089.jpg

Back
Top Bottom