Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hackney chitter-chatter &tc

:( I saw a bit about that yesterday, police appealing for any witnesses but nothing about how they might have died, very sad.

The Windsor Castle in Lower Clapton , may be re-opening as a pub :hmm: passed it the other day and work has started , the previous hoarding has been replaced with new hoarding with signage from a construction firm. There is a website (also under construction) which suggests (to me) it will be a pub
Coming Soon

Not quite N16, but the Hart can let you have a room (it's curtained off but still a room) not sure of prices - but Saturday night might be difficult - you can also hire part of the garden at the Crooked Billet, and it all tented up in case of inclement June weather - again not sure about Saturday nights when it is heaving.

Bloody hell, is the traffic always this bad at this time on Stamford Hill? It's just taken me a good 30 mins on the bus from SN High St -- could've walked it quicker. Now in St Ann's Rd and it's all backed up here too.

Eta And what's happening to St Ann's Hospital? They seem to be building flats on huge swathes of the site. (Or, more likely, luxury appartments. :rolleyes:)

Yeah, the traffic is bad up Stamford Hill sometimes :( maybe a hold up somewhere further on.

Re St Ann's hospital, the site is being redeveloped, I read somewhere that the Mayor of London has purchased the site (maybe not actually him alone) to ensure that affordable housing is built there - I'll see if I can find a link, can't remember where I saw it now.

Reactions: Sue
Interesting, thanks. I went to visit a friend there a while ago and it did feel like it was all a bit falling apart. Guess I'm just a bit cynical when I see them building flats on sites like that though hopefully in this case it'll actually benefit local people...
They'll be local people after they move in

Reactions: Sue
So, the Hackney Half-Marathon raises a lot of money for charity and all that but it really pissed me off today. Went out about 9:30 this morning to discover that where I live was completely hemmed in by the route. I asked a couple of stewards how I could get to the other side of Shacklewell Lane and (and then to Kingsland High St) and they had no idea. Ended up (with a load of other people) having to just cross the route, trying to avoid the runners. A friend told me earlier he did the same thing a bit further down and one of the runners physically pushed him on the chest out the way. :mad:

Looked at the route map later and basically there wasn't a way of getting out apart from braving the runners and crossing the route. Obviously not really an option if you're not very mobile or have kids with you or just don't feel confident about moving through a load of fast moving runners.

Had seen no information about this locally and it's really shit that little or no thought seems to have been given to residents -- were we just expected to stay in between 9 and 2 today? :facepalm:

Anyone else had their Census Rehearsal questionnaire yet?

The next census is 2021 but, to make sure systems are running smoothly, Hackney, along with Tower Hamlets, Carlisle and Ceredigion have been chosen to represent a good cross section of the country in a rehearsal :hmm: :D

Anyone else had their Census Rehearsal questionnaire yet?

The next census is 2021 but, to make sure systems are running smoothly, Hackney, along with Tower Hamlets, Carlisle and Ceredigion have been chosen to represent a good cross section of the country in a rehearsal :hmm: :D

Yeah we got ours yesterday - I hadn't realised we were part of the dress rehearsal. :thumbs:

Very tempting to make up stuff but I will probably do the responsible thing.

Fancied a walk in the rain so decided to walk to the 7 Hackney Stations I use the most . So , Clapton, Stoke Newington, Rectory Road , Dalston Kingsland , Dalston Junction , Hackney Downs & Hackney Central. Nearly 5 miles , had a pit stop at Farr's School of Dancing , and bought some supplies at M&S .

Back
Top Bottom