Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hackney chitter-chatter &tc

"She likens her work then — “opening a fine wine bar in an old BNP pub, on the edge of a council estate,” as she puts it — with her new project. She said that it’s a “good time to open,” adding that “Dalston is ready.”"

yeh it's been like that for a while.

View attachment 160931

A friend who lives locally and works in planning/conservation reckons the pub being closed only while they renovate the flats is a scam. Apparently it's a way round local planning stuff about pubs being conserved/community assets -- he said he'd bet on a planning application going in for it being all turned into flats (or something else but flats are the most lucrative) and that in his opinion, it's very, very unlikely it'll re-open as a pub.

(Not that I was a massive fan of The Fox -- last time I was in, the prices were eye watering -- but a real shame to lose another pub.)

A friend who lives locally and works in planning/conservation reckons the pub being closed only while they renovate the flats is a scam. Apparently it's a way round local planning stuff about pubs being conserved/community assets -- he said he'd bet on a planning application going in for it being all turned into flats (or something else but flats are the most lucrative) and that in his opinion, it's very, very unlikely it'll re-open as a pub.

(Not that I was a massive fan of The Fox -- last time I was in, the prices were eye watering -- but a real shame to lose another pub.)
i was first in the fox around 1991, when it was very much a proper pub, and they had a three piece band doing backing for a sort of karaoke - i remember this auld woman singing 'hey big spender'. been in it in several of its subsequent incarnations - was a much bigger fan of the acton down the way towards the bridge. very sorry to see it close and i reckon your mate's likely on the money as there's been no obvious work on it or signs of work on it like skips or builders.

I was going to ask what the Extinction Rebellion stuff was about -- lots of posters up.

They're the lot what occupied all the bridges over the Thames last year to protest about climate change. I have mixed feelings about them (especially the idea that they want to get as many of their number arrested as possible.)

But might head down to this because it's local and occupying a road for a party is a Good Thing.

They're the lot what occupied all the bridges over the Thames last year to protest about climate change. I have mixed feelings about them (especially the idea that they want to get as many of their number arrested as possible.)

But might head down to this because it's local and occupying a road for a party is a Good Thing.
Oh them, can't keep track.

I'll probably be out and about on Saturday so may have a look if I'm passing.

Back
Top Bottom