Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Thornton Heath Chitter Chatter Thread

If this hasn't been posted before, TH folk might want to be aware of the twitter output of @plumeplotter who, amongst other things, plots the projected pollution plumes that will be emitted from Sutton's incinerator on Beddington Lane.

Today's tweet demonstrates that a WNWly wind direction (not uncommon) will give a direct hit on at least 2 TH promary schools, West Thornton & Kingsley:-

My latest pic (last week) of the fucking monstrosity:-

upload_2017-3-6_9-44-56.png

those things are all over london. there's one by next to Millwall.

It's not great, but as long as it keeps to the guidelines I am not too worried. London Road and Whitehorse lane will kick out more harmful stuff than that.

those things are all over london. there's one by next to Millwall.

It's not great, but as long as it keeps to the guidelines I am not too worried. London Road and Whitehorse lane will kick out more harmful stuff than that.
Apart from SELCHP and one in Edmonton I think Beddington will be only the 3rd waste incinerator plant within GL.
I wish I could be as sanguine about the emissions as you seem.

isn't north easterly winds the most popular, which means it'll spend most of the year blowing over TH?

funny that, isn't it. They choose one of the most unpopular/deprived areas to spill the filth on to.

Yes, it's not great but what to do? it's been approved? I do know they have strict guidelines on air quality that they have to follow, hopefully that will help?

isn't north easterly winds the most popular, which means it'll spend most of the year blowing over TH?

funny that, isn't it. They choose one of the most unpopular/deprived areas to spill the filth on to.

Yes, it's not great but what to do? it's been approved? I do know they have strict guidelines on air quality that they have to follow, hopefully that will help?
Yes & no; winds are named by the direction from which they blow. The prevailing winds are SWly (to N & E) so, you're quite right, the carcinogenic by-products of Viridor's profit machine will fall over the North of Croydon borough for a significant proportion of the year. Funny how public bodies so often locate sources of negative externalities on or near their own up-wind border.

Councillor Jamie Audley,A well known Thornton heath face, has been suspended by labour party. Odd. Following q serious complaint, apparently.

there used to be someone living above there who just used to get his black bags of rubbish and just sling them along the street. :thumbs:

So it looks like I'll soon be a Thornton Heath resident, moving all the way from...Streatham!

I've been to the Spoons and the Leisure Centre - what else is good?

Although it's officially Norbury, it's right on my doorstep. I can recommend Sorrento In for their magnificent pizzas. Have had a couple of deliveries from them and eaten in once with wife and 2.5yo daughter. The food is really very good Italian. Pizzas are great and the owners are lovely. It's not a huge place - we went there at about 7 on a Friday and was happy to see that by 7pm they were rammed, with a constant stream of people, many Italians which I guess is a good sign, for takeaway pizzas. We had a starter each and a pizza, daughter had a kids pizza. Portions are huge and in hindsight starters were unnecessary, plus they brought us homemade bread and a bruschetta each for free. Couldn't finish it all so equivalent to a whole pizza boxes up and taken home for breakfast [emoji41]

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced man with a van to help with my move? Should be just one trip with some furniture.

Back
Top Bottom