Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hackney chitter-chatter &tc

I know what you mean, I do wonder what these new high rise estates are going to be like years down the line.
I like the reservoirs and the area, but the playgrounds between the new builds are shite. Boring and cold in the winter but hot in the summer. Shame, because they had the opportunity to build new ones to modern standards where parents and kids feel comfortable to spend many hours and get to know each other.

Well there's a load of scaffolding up on the (very expensive) high rise blocks at Dalston Junction. Not sure what for but they're not exactly old.

Yes, I've noticed that, I'm wondering if it has something to do with them being checked due to the new fire regulations?

Reactions: Sue
TBH the 'new' area being by the reservoirs is its saving grace. Otherwise it would be boring as fuck with no chance of a decent street life and community developing. Reminds me of places like Hendon. (Used to work a lot at the police training centre and found the walk from the station to the centre thoroughly depressing. Expensive glass and steel blocks, kept half empty by foreign investors.)

not that the estate was particularly pretty or looked (to my untrained eyes) well built, but what's replacing it is surely not a sustainable model in terms of community building and residential planning. It's all so soulless.
One of the drivers for redevelopment on estates like Woodberry Down is that large estates of that age often have significant amounts of green space between the buildings, so by knocking it all down and rebuilding they can cram more flats into the area, though obviously with the loss of that green space.

It's not really about community building and residential planning, it's all about money for the developers and, I'm afraid, "housing units" for the council.

andysays Yes, I remember that when the 60's blocks were built they had to allow a certain amount of space round them, as you say they are built much closer together now. They are even filling in space between older blocks with new ones in some places such as on Brownswood Road.
To be fair, I know accommodation is needed but it's not necessarily going to people that really need and can afford it :(

andysays Yes, I remember that when the 60's blocks were built they had to allow a certain amount of space round them, as you say they are built much closer together now. They are even filling in space between older blocks with new ones in some places such as on Brownswood Road.
To be fair, I know accommodation is needed but it's not necessarily going to people that really need and can afford it :(
Yeah, Kings Crescent on Brownswood Road is another estate where I'm responsible for the grounds maintenance, and where redevelopment is squeezing out much of the existing green space.

andysays are you often in Brownswood Road?
This is going off topic but I'm wondering if you know anything about one of the houses in the Victorian block opposite the estate which has intrigued me whenever I've passed :D it's a double fronted one, been empty for a long time now, broken window upstairs and bars on the ground floor windows. There was a police sign in the window saying something about Anti social behaviour but I think that's gone now and the front yard has been tidied up fairly recently.
It's been a lovely house and could be again if some money was spent on it - I wonder who it belongs to :confused:

andysays are you often in Brownswood Road?
This is going off topic but I'm wondering if you know anything about one of the houses in the Victorian block opposite the estate which has intrigued me whenever I've passed :D it's a double fronted one, been empty for a long time now, broken window upstairs and bars on the ground floor windows. There was a police sign in the window saying something about Anti social behaviour but I think that's gone now and the front yard has been tidied up fairly recently.
It's been a lovely house and could be again if some money was spent on it - I wonder who it belongs to :confused:
It was probably closed with a closure order (The police notice) . Mostly used on social housing properties but could be used on private, so I'm guessing it may have been a crack house fairly recently.

It was probably closed with a closure order (The police notice) . Mostly used on social housing properties but could be used on private, so I'm guessing it may have been a crack house fairly recently.

Ah thanks, it's actually been like that for some years, I did wonder what had happened but that seems a likely reason.

If only squatting residential properties hadn't been criminalised!

If only squatting residential properties hadn't been criminalised!
Yes & no , if they'd banned it only in Social Housing ,I'd have been happy. Let the squatters live in the private sector! But it used to take an age to get a council/HA property back if squatted, and that was stopping someone else in housing need from getting a home . Rarely get squatters in council places now as you don't have to go to court , a quick visit with the police usually does the trick.

Apart from the actual advertisement board, what has made locals mad I understand is that it's for junk food and not a very good thing for being on the wall by the school :(
I wonder who owns the building, it won't be the charity shop or, I doubt, any of the people living in the flats above.

Back
Top Bottom