Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hackney chitter-chatter &tc

Sally Army have a big connection to the area , Founders are buried in Abney Park . There's a Sally Army place in Lower Clapton too.

They've got a shop/cafe in Cazenove Rd opposite the graveyard entrance, they used to have a hall around the back of Stokey High St near the old fire station. Here's a couple of links about them being attacked by drinkers at The Shakespeare pub 140 years ago:

Last edited:
I mean that's great and all but I'll miss this. :D

especially SHITHOUSE TO PENTHOUSE

Think that will be pretty much the only actual "pub" in the area?

View attachment 265183
Walked over there this afternoon, takes about an hour , guessed the way . You were right about all the new bars , loads of new ones along from the Napier , it was very busy this afternoon.

Went for a walk on Hackney Marshes today. Notice they've put a load of 'swimming in this horribly polluted water is a bad idea' signs.

Anyway, was helping friends pick some nettles and it's astonishing the conversations you get into with random passers by wanting to know what you're up to.

There was the guy who told us they'd be full of cadmium so we should make a pie and send it to Boris Johnson. Then the one who told us Standard Oil had persecuted all the herbalists and we needed to take back control. And then the one telling us we're going through an asteroid belt and are about to enter the Age of Aquarius. Given this was in the space of about 10 minutes, there's definitely a lot of loonery about... :hmm:

Went for a walk on Hackney Marshes today. Notice they've put a load of 'swimming in this horribly polluted water is a bad idea' signs.

Anyway, was helping friends pick some nettles and it's astonishing the conversations you get into with random passers by wanting to know what you're up to.

There was the guy who told us they'd be full of cadmium so we should make a pie and send it to Boris Johnson. Then the one who told us Standard Oil had persecuted all the herbalists and we needed to take back control. And then the one telling us we're going through an asteroid belt and are about to enter the Age of Aquarius. Given this was in the space of about 10 minutes, there's definitely a lot of loonery about... :hmm:
I apologise for me and my mate giving you the TRUTH :mad:

I've just heard that residents in two areas of Hackney will be/are being asked to get tested as a result of a surge in cases.

I'll post more info and hopefully some links when I get home and can use a laptop rather than my phone.

This is the full text of the email I received

IMPORTANT: Targeted COVID testing to take place in parts of Dalston and Shoreditch

Two COVID-19 variants of concern, one first identified in South Africa and one first identified in India, have been found in areas of Shoreditch and Dalston.

From today, the Council will be asking everyone who lives or works in affected areas to get a COVID-19 PCR test, even if they do not have symptoms, to help stop the spread of these variants in the community.

These areas are around Old Street and Great Eastern Street, in Shoreditch; and parts of Dalston town centre, around Dalston Lane and Kingsland High Street. This only involves addresses in the following postcode areas: E8 2, E8 3, E8 4, N1 4, N16 8, EC1V 9, EC2A 3, EC2A 4, N1 6.

Please see attached two maps of the affected areas. I would ask you to look at these to see if you work regularly out of these locations or visit people’s homes or businesses as a part of your role. If so, you will need to get tested.

Affected staff will be given time to get tested during working hours. These arrangements will need to be made alongside your manager, depending on the nature of your role.

We need to ensure staff without email get this message through their line management or school today if possible. Staff with questions or concerns can be directed to the FAQs on our website. A version of the FAQs can be found here and printed.

If you have further questions, you may contact the Public Health Team at testandtrace@hackney.gov.uk

I want to reassure you that the usual COVID-19 precautions - i.e. Hand, Face, Space & Fresh Air (plus your usual work-related PPE) and Vaccinations - are still effective at reducing the spread of these variants and there is no cause for extra concern for you, in terms of going to work or visiting these areas.

Everyone already identified with the variant strains are now self-isolating and robust contact tracing has taken place.

Staff and residents can also find out if they live or work in one of these areas here: https://hackney.gov.uk/test

People living and working in the area should:
  • Go to a test site and ask for a PCR test (a lab-checked test, usually recommended for those with COVID-19 symptoms)
  • Or, order a PCR test to their home or work address, by calling: 119 (people with hearing or speech difficulties can call 18001 119); or visiting: nhs.uk/coronavirus (tick the box for “I’ve been asked to be tested by my local authority”). Drop off your completed home test kit at a local testing site (preferably), or post it back in a London Royal Mail priority post box.
  • Get vaccinated if already eligible for vaccination ie aged 38 or over, working in health or social care, carer or have a serious underlying health condition then take up the vaccination offer https://hackney.gov.uk/coronavirus-vaccine
Test sites:
  • Dalston:
    • Bentley Road Car Park, N1 4BZ (open seven days a week, 8am-8pm)
  • Shoreditch:
    • Geffrye Community Hall, Falkirk Street, London, N1 6SD is (operational from 15/5 open seven a week 9am - 6pm
    • St John the Baptist Church Pitfield Street N1 6NP (operational from 18/5 open seven days a week 9am-3pm)
  • Other test locations here
There is no need to book. You just need to let staff at the sites know you work or live in an area where a variant of concern has been identified and Hackney Council has asked you to take a test.

The Council has also been contacting businesses in these areas, to let people know our plans to keep the variants under control. Business owners in the areas can pick up PCR tests for their staff at the test locations. Or, alternatively, arrange for test kit delivery to their work, not home, address.

These tests are processed in a lab where scientists can look at what type of virus it is, and check if it is a variant of concern.

If you get a positive test result then you and your whole household must stay at home for 10 days; this stops the virus from spreading in the community and helps keep others safe from it. Please refer to the Covid-19 HR advice section on the intranet if needed.

Viruses constantly change through mutation, which can make them spread more easily, be more dangerous to us or mean our treatments are not as effective. That is why when a variant of concern is identified in an area we work quickly to stop this variant of the virus in its tracks. Take the test and help us beat COVID-19.

One in three people with COVID-19 do not show symptoms. By taking this test, you can help stop further spread of these variants in the community, helping to keep Hackney safe and helping to beat COVID-19.

Vaccines
All current vaccines are very effective against COVID including new variants. We encourage all staff to get protected from COVID-19 by getting their vaccination when they are eligible- you can book a slot either near where you work or live by going to nhs.uk/coronavirus or dialing 119. All front line health and social care staff should take up the vaccination in order to protect themselves, their work colleagues and their clients from COVID including new variants. Frontline health and social care staff can attend any vaccination centre, show work ID and will then be fast tracked for immediate vaccination, subject to vaccine availability.

Over the next few weeks Pfizer vaccine will be used in Hackney for 1st doses and a reserve list for Council staff to take up spare vaccination slots will be collected - anyone regardless of age can go onto the reserve list but you may be called with only a few hours notice towards the end of the day to attend a vaccination centre in Hackney. Please look out for more information coming soon.

Dr Sandra Husbands
Director of Public Health

Back
Top Bottom