Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hackney chitter-chatter &tc

I'd be willing to give them a try :D
Do you know the organic food shop opposite Clapton Pond (not the one at the side, same people run though) they have a fig tree in the garden at the back. When I was having a coffee once the girl said I could just help myself...mmm :) I love figs!
Yep , know that place , get occasional coffee from there .

I've been out on the Marshes collecting nettles with friends a few times. Last time they made spanakopita with them. Mmm. Next time, we're going for The Good Life jumpers. :thumbs:

Had a mini walk this morning down Theydon Rd (Storage central !) and noticed a fig tree growing in scrubby ground near the railway bridge over Theydon Rd/Leaside Road . There's also a big area of scrubland by the railway which I'm surprised hasn't been developed yet . Photo from Google maps , the fig tree is the bush in the garden (next to an old shed leaning on the wall) & the scrubland is by the old gate .View attachment 261839
Most of that scrubland, except the bit right at the bottom, is Leaside allotments. Should be safe enough from development for a bit but maybe we need to do some tidying up.

New Hackney pub ! The Hackney Tap opened today , haven't been there yet , didn't know about it until a regular in the Billet told me , he had got a bit refreshed there earlier 😀 kept telling me he had been speaking to the Mayor.

It's on the narrow way , in the old bank , plenty of outside space. It's a sister pub to The Euston Tap, which I have been to and is excellent.

New Hackney pub ! The Hackney Tap opened today , haven't been there yet , didn't know about it until a regular in the Billet told me , he had got a bit refreshed there earlier 😀 kept telling me he had been speaking to the Mayor.

It's on the narrow way , in the old bank , plenty of outside space. It's a sister pub to The Euston Tap, which I have been to and is excellent.

I walked through Hackney Central today and realised exactly where you mean - the building was the original Hackney Town Hall and then a bank and a bookies I think.
The door was open so I went up and had a look inside, lovely old wood panelling which I guess are original to the building :)

I walked through Hackney Central today and realised exactly where you mean - the building was the original Hackney Town Hall and then a bank and a bookies I think.
The door was open so I went up and had a look inside, lovely old wood panelling which I guess are original to the building :)
It looks a pretty big space from outside (I walked past it this morning) . Plus they have a large space for tables right next to it. Perfect pub territory , and looks like they will have a wide selection of ales (if the Euston Tap is the template)

I went to Bohemia Place yesterday afternoon, there's a street market there (didn't realise, must be fairly new) and loads of bars there (used to be one craft ale place) . I had a drink in the Vintage Clothes Shop/Bar :hmm: Paper Dress Vintage , they have a yard that backs on to Bohemia Place. It was an impromptu drink with ScifiSam, rather lovely having a drink , decadent .

It was fairly busy in the market , I'm guessing it is new go to destination for young folk.

So , I had a neighbour incident yesterday . I had parked up last Sunday outside a house on my street, I knew the old lady who lived there had some mental health issues. She walks up the centre of our road and yells at drivers, and I've seen her chuck water at folk.

Anyway, go to the car on Saturday morning, the wing mirrors are smeared with meat , and there was random bits of bacon on the bonnet. Mrs21 nipped back to get some cleaning stuff. The old lady came out, asked if it was my car , then said it was a dirty fucking car , and that it had attracted flies to her house. I asked her if she smeared pork on my car, she said she had, I said that would attract flies,mice and rats. She called me dirty fucking rat , accused me of not living in the street, when I told her I had lived in the street for 24 years, she told me to park outside my own fucking house. She then accused me of being racist as I had disrespected her by letting flies get into her house , I pointed out that smearing my car with pork wasn't very respectful either .

When she was in mid rant, Mrs21 returned, told me to stop talking to the woman, at which point, the woman told me to get my fucking wife to clean my fucking car . Mrs21 then took her picture , which prompted the old lady to throw water at me (it didn't hit me ) . So we drove off straight to the car wash (to clean my fucking car tbf) .

Later I spoke to a woman opposite the old lady , who I was on nodding terms. She said they no longer parked outside their own house as the old lady, would smeared their car with pork, she thought they were Muslims (they aren't, they are Indian) so clearly, before she saw me , thought my car was owned by them or by a Muslim. They told me she regularly does this to cars nearby , that the police were regular visitors to her but nothing had been done.

All a bit WTF on a Saturday morning.

It did remind me of a place in Finsbury Park I had to go to for work. The guy who lived there was in wheel chair & couldn't speak. He hated cars being parked near his flat, so regularly scratched them , neighbours learned not to park there , so there was a 6 car unofficial no parking zone near his flat. This was in a street off Seven Sisters Rd close to the Tube/Train station.

I won't park there again :eek:

Last edited:
She smears pork on your car but you're the racist... ? :(

A friend has a similar situation -- he's lived in his place in Stokie for 30 years and the woman across the road has severe mental health issues. He takes her round food he's made sometimes and went with her when she was having problems with her benefits and intervened with her landlord when she was on the verge of getting evicted and stuff. It's really difficult though because she comes round at all hours, banging on his door and accusing him of all sorts of stuff -- he's therefore had to back away. The last he heard she was on remand for assaulting a police officer among other things (and obviously that's not the right place for her but none of the interventions by her mental health team etc have worked). I'm not sure what can be done really which is terribly sad all round. :(

Apparently she has family , I think she owns the house and family do visit her , and one son does live there I think. I think I know the son (we nod ) . Difficult situation , the family must be aware of what she does.

In better news, there will soon be yet another new Hackney pub, albeit in a former pub. The Lord Napier in Hackney Wick is reopening as The Lord Napier & Star, part of a group of Star pubs, I've been to the Hackney Downs one, and the Kings Cross one . A nice stretch of the legs followed by a few pints. :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom