Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hackney chitter-chatter &tc

Mine is at John Scott, the first purpose built health centre in Britain:
:cool:

Or rather, outside the first purpose built health centre in Britain, in a tent. :D

Yes, it's a tent at the back :D
I was surprised the area at the back was so large. It was actually my GP centre when I lived in Finsbury Park but I had only been in a surgery fronting on to Green Lanes.

A lot of Fire Engines about in north Hackney this morning - don't if they were going to this in Pitfield Street :eek:

LFB Hackney (@lfbhackney) Tweeted: LFB crews were called to a fire on the roof of a building on the corner of Old Street and Pitfield Street this morning. The fire was brought under quickly and thankfully nobody was injured. https://t.co/hGL9RbAx6k

Hackney had its own Poll Tax riot AND its own aggy protest against the Criminal Justice Bill. :cool:

A short, effeminate mate of mine managed to floor Paddy Ashdown inside the town hall at the Hackney Poll Tax riot, surprising at the time as Ashdown was ex-S.A.S. Interesting to read the article as I think the mother of the singer of the Tofu Love Frogs, Paddy was involved with setting up H.I.L.T. and the band were involved in setting up the festival.

Hackney had its own Poll Tax riot AND its own aggy protest against the Criminal Justice Bill. :cool:
I'd been living in Hackney for a year by then , my mum probably rang me if she heard about this to see if I was OK. She rang me if something dangerous happened anywhere in London.

A short, effeminate mate of mine managed to floor Paddy Ashdown inside the town hall at the Hackney Poll Tax riot, surprising at the time as Ashdown was ex-S.A.S. Interesting to read the article as I think the mother of the singer of the Tofu Love Frogs, Paddy was involved with setting up H.I.L.T. and the band were involved in setting up the festival.
ashdown never in the sas but the sbs.

I'd been living in Hackney for a year by then , my mum probably rang me if she heard about this to see if I was OK. She rang me if something dangerous happened anywhere in London.
Yeah, my parents were the same -- I remember them calling me after the Canary Wharf bombing (I was living in South London and had never even been to Canary Wharf) and as soon as I hung up, the phone rang again with my flatmate's parents doing exactly the same thing.

Yeah, my parents were the same -- I remember them calling me after the Canary Wharf bombing (I was living in South London and had never even been to Canary Wharf) and as soon as I hung up, the phone rang again with my flatmate's parents doing exactly the same thing.
When the news of the state of some Croydon housing was in the news , she asked me if I had anything to do with it :hmm: She knows I manage Social Housing in London , so I guess it could have been my fault.

Had a mini walk this morning down Theydon Rd (Storage central !) and noticed a fig tree growing in scrubby ground near the railway bridge over Theydon Rd/Leaside Road . There's also a big area of scrubland by the railway which I'm surprised hasn't been developed yet . Photo from Google maps , the fig tree is the bush in the garden (next to an old shed leaning on the wall) & the scrubland is by the old gate .Screenshot_20210405-113834_Maps.jpg

Had a mini walk this morning down Theydon Rd (Storage central !) and noticed a fig tree growing in scrubby ground near the railway bridge over Theydon Rd/Leaside Road . There's also a big area of scrubland by the railway which I'm surprised hasn't been developed yet . Photo from Google maps , the fig tree is the bush in the garden (next to an old shed leaning on the wall) & the scrubland is by the old gate .View attachment 261839
Let me know when the fruit's ripe and we'll scrump 'em

I know where you mean - not noticed the fig tree though :D
I love the 1930's De Havilland building round the corner from there.
I've walked past there loads of times , 1st time I've noticed it , there are figs on it, but can't imagine they'd be very nice figs. There's a bloke in the Crooked Billet called John The Poacher who is a foraging expert , does foraging tours on the marshes :cool:.

I'm not confident they will get very edible , I have seen other fig trees about in the Manor, there's one in Middlesex Filterbeds by the sluice gate.
There is a massive fig tree hidden away in a scummy alley in Tottenham behind the grave yard. Its fruits are def edible and delicious. It fed me throughout the summer.
Can't see why your tree would be any different.

I'm not confident they will get very edible , I have seen other fig trees about in the Manor, there's one in Middlesex Filterbeds by the sluice gate.

I'd be willing to give them a try :D
Do you know the organic food shop opposite Clapton Pond (not the one at the side, same people run though) they have a fig tree in the garden at the back. When I was having a coffee once the girl said I could just help myself...mmm :) I love figs!

Back
Top Bottom