Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hackney chitter-chatter &tc

I mean that's great and all but I'll miss this. :D

especially SHITHOUSE TO PENTHOUSE

Think that will be pretty much the only actual "pub" in the area?

View attachment 265183
It does look fucking excellent in that state tbf , might take a walk over that way at the weekend to see it again. There aren't many pubs out that way , probably because it was mainly industrial and not very residential in olden times.

I DJed at the Lord Napier in 2007. :cool:

After moaning about always playing to empty rooms early on, I got the scare of my life being placed in the 4am slot after dubstep superstars Chef and Benga playing the latest dubplates back to back.

It was a great night though and the crowd was still plentiful and bosterious when I finished :thumbs:

In better news, there will soon be yet another new Hackney pub, albeit in a former pub. The Lord Napier in Hackney Wick is reopening as The Lord Napier & Star, part of a group of Star pubs, I've been to the Hackney Downs one, and the Kings Cross one . A nice stretch of the legs followed by a few pints. :thumbs:
Feels like a bit of a strange time to be opening a new pub but hey. (I didn't know there was a Kings Cross one, I've been to the HD and Bethnal Green ones.)

Anyone following this?

Just seen all the posters etc. about it along the river (been away out of the area since early Jan so just catching up).

Had a chat with a mate who is a continuous cruiser. She said the boaters and other locals are planning an outdoor meeting about soon. Said non-boat-dwelling allies welcome. Don't have deets yet but she's promised to let me know.

20210427_110447.jpg

Anyone following this?

Just seen all the posters etc. about it along the river (been away out of the area since early Jan so just catching up).

Had a chat with a mate who is a continuous cruiser. She said the boaters and other locals are planning an outdoor meeting about soon. Said non-boat-dwelling allies welcome. Don't have deets yet but she's promised to let me know.

View attachment 265206

Didn't know about that, the guy I rent off is a boater, will ask him about it.

Anyone following this?

View attachment 265206
I've seen the posters but don't really know what it's about tbh

I've seen the posters but don't really know what it's about tbh

Mate says posh rowing club (not the lovely canoe lot, the posh oxbridge-type rowers) been lobbying hard to stop/reduce continuous cruising (ie people like her and her partner and kid, who don't have a longterm mooring and so have to move their boat every few weeks).

She also said that the rowers appear to have more power to influence the Canals and Rivers Trust than the boat-dwellers, at the moment.

Hence boaters and other locals organising to try and tip that balance of power now.

Mate says posh rowing club (not the lovely canoe lot, the posh oxbridge-type rowers) been lobbying hard to stop/reduce continuous cruising (ie people like her and her partner and kid, who don't have a longterm mooring and so have to move their boat every few weeks).

She also said that the rowers appear to have more power to influence the Canals and Rivers Trust than the boat-dwellers, at the moment.

Hence boaters and other locals organising to try and tip that balance of power now.
Where abouts is this? Is this the rowing club at Springfield?

Right , have seen them, shouty man on a bike yelling at the rowers. They want to stop barges going up and down so they can row ?

getting a kayak or canoe for trips and leaving it at my mate's mooring has been at the back of my mind for a while.

Yep I spent a happy lot of hours bidding on inflatable canoes on ebay last year. Didn't actually buy one yet, but probably will at some point this year.

Thanks BillRiver that's interesting - I had seen some of the "stop the boat cull" posters on my morning walks but not figured out what it was about.

I know a couple of people living on boats and all of them have basically been forced out of more conventional places in Hackney because of crazy rents.

Thanks BillRiver that's interesting - I had seen some of the "stop the boat cull" posters on my morning walks but not figured out what it was about.

I know a couple of people living on boats and all of them have basically been forced out of more conventional places in Hackney because of crazy rents.

I've seen some posters by the river in the Millfields area, not sure if they are the same ones but they were from the Canal and River Trust and I think it said something about wanting to clear the river of boats in very bad condition?
I know there are a couple up towards Markfield Park that are in a dreadful state - small boats, not the living in Longboat type. One looks as though it's sinking the one side and it's full of rubbish :hmm: :D I've actually seen a scruffy looking man climb on board with some more stuff - can't believe he has a licence!

I've seen some posters by the river in the Millfields area, not sure if they are the same ones but they were from the Canal and River Trust and I think it said something about wanting to clear the river of boats in very bad condition?
I know there are a couple up towards Markfield Park that are in a dreadful state - small boats, not the living in Longboat type. One looks as though it's sinking the one side and it's full of rubbish :hmm: :D I've actually seen a scruffy looking man climb on board with some more stuff - can't believe he has a licence!
I've seen a couple of boats like that. I think I've seen the same scruffy man too.

A couple of photographs taken by Roland Collins who was working as a commercial artist in Fleet Street in the 60's (courtesy Spitalfields Life blog)

Fairground on Hackney Marshes
View attachment 265966

Salvation Army prayer meeting Lea Bridge Road
View attachment 265967
Sally Army have a big connection to the area , Founders are buried in Abney Park . There's a Sally Army place in Lower Clapton too.

Back
Top Bottom