Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hackney chitter-chatter &tc

Trying to work out what pub it is , looks like an old Irish pub, an "old man's pub" , not may of them left , thinking the Railway? By Dalston Station, was that still operating?
Looks like the Kingsland. The Railway closed some years ago.

sourdough pizza joint for a while

The Fed by Water vegan Italian place was in there for a bit (moved across the road from the unit next to the shopping centre) then it became the pizza place which was open for literally a couple of months maximum. It's been empty for ages. (Can you tell I walk past it every day...?

He was of colossal proportions!

Thanks for sharing, blossie33. Love random stuff like that. :)
I can imagine a Victorian street drinker sitting there , innocently taking a sip , seeing a massive elephant rampaging through gardens , looking at his bottle with a confused face ,looking at Jim, then shrugging and having another sip.

Just checked out George Sanger 😮

I think I may have posted about Jim the elephant's adventures here before.

First heard the story last year at an exhibition to mark the 150th (I think) anniversary of Finsbury Park.

The depot where he escaped from was apparently quite near where I now live, but I haven't managed to locate it exactly. Was hoping to recreate the complete route, though info is a little vague.

I note from your link that
In 1871, the Sanger brothers bought Astley's Amphitheatre for £11,000 and George Sanger ran it for 28 years until the LCC ordered it to be closed in 1893
ie the year that Jim went on his rampage :(

Poor Jim, I wonder what happened to him :(
Yes, it would be interesting to know whereabouts in Tottenham the animals were based.
Sorry - I didn't remember you'd mentioned it before!

My recollection is that it was on or near Woodlands Park Road, which runs between St Anns Road and West Green Road.

That's interesting, not too far from me in Stamford Hill then. I sort of imagined it would be further up in the Tottenham area.

Back
Top Bottom