Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Greatest Guitar Solo ever

Hard to pick from the all time greats but a current fav of mine in small club bands currently touring with good guitarist blues soloists would have to be Slim from The Hamsters great and cheap band - love his guitar style...

Not much on the tube but this is ok... but he reminds me very much of some of the great stuff Rory Gallagher played when they leave out thier Hendrix covers.

http://kr.youtube.com/watch?v=GiiEv4_bTCo

This thread has come up before some years ago, and my answer is the same - Eddie Van Halen on Michael Jackson's "Beat It".

Sure, there'll be lots of scornful opinions, but EVH was on top of his octave twisting game on that record.

Not least because the amplifier actually caught fire while he was recording that solo.

And that's not just an urban myth either!

Actually my all time favourite guitar solo has to be Eugene's Trick Bag, played by Karate Kid Ralph Macchio in Crossroads to defeat the evil (?) Steve Vai!

Proper lulz.. witness:

:D:cool:

I love guns n roses but november rain is pompus dross and the solo loses any merit beacuse of the laws of physics breaking church in the video.

I don't agree with anything anyones ome up with so far and am far to lazy to think of the answer myself.

dave

Worth listening to Clapton's solo on "Have You Heard" from the Bluesbreakers 'Beano' album.... Eric makes time stand still.

And Peter Green "
The Supernatural"
It aint the notes you play.....................it's the ones you don't :cool:

Mr Crowley - by Randy Rhoads.

Last one in the set on that vid :) 2:02 in.

I came onto this thread to say exactly the same thing. In fact not entirely true cos I wasn't sure which solo to pick by the great Randy. Actually I think sadly he's long gone now is he not?

And Lynard Skynards Freebird solo has to be right up there amongst the best along with a good few Iron Maiden ones too.

But what wins handsdown for me everytime is the great Billy Gibbons guitar skills from ZZTop, he was even Hendrix's favourite. Check out this La Grange solo from 2min29secs.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_MKPby9D8MQ

Assuming rock guitarists are what we're talking about here, Stevie Ray Vaughn's "Rude Mood" on the Texas Flood album is pretty hot.

But there are guitarists in jazz, classical and other musical forms that kill too and a side by side comparison would be stupid-- the "winner" being indicative of nothing more than a person's preferred genre.

My vote goes to Tony Iommi's closing solo on "Thrill of it All" ( from Sabbath's 1975 album "Sabotage"). He makes his guitar fairly sing with joy.

I also agree with whoever mentioned Dave Gilmour's solo on "Comfortably Numb", that one would be in my top five.

Assuming rock guitarists are what we're talking about here, Stevie Ray Vaughn's "Rude Mood" on the Texas Flood album is pretty hot.

But there are guitarists in jazz, classical and other musical forms that kill too and a side by side comparison would be stupid-- the "winner" being indicative of nothing more than a person's preferred genre.

How about just about anything by Davy Graham then?
Angie??
Sweet Dreams - Roy Bucannan (sp?)

it varies, but often I think it's the really long one in One Big Holiday by My Morning Jacket - just stunning

Sultans of Swing live on the Alchemy album by Dire Straits.

Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd on the Pulse Video/DVD.

Angus Young, anything.

/showing age

Hard to pick from the all time greats but a current fav of mine in small club bands currently touring with good guitarist blues soloists would have to be Slim from The Hamsters great and cheap band - love his guitar style...

Not much on the tube but this is ok... but he reminds me very much of some of the great stuff Rory Gallagher played when they leave out thier Hendrix covers.

http://kr.youtube.com/watch?v=GiiEv4_bTCo

Yeah! :cool:
The Hamsters- Probably the best 'journeyman ' band on the circuit!
'

Back
Top Bottom