Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Guitar Thread

I was in a band with my brother playing drums when we were teens. He then moved on to guitars as well. I don't have kids but my brother's first son started piano and then moved onto bass and guitar. He's just finished high school and will be starting a music course at college. He wants to be a session musician. He's got "it".

As long as she has the desire she will be fine. My daughter showed a natural talent for music. Could pick up chords easily, read music, and understand finger placing on guitars and piano . . . . Trouble is she isn't interested. I'm not going to force her, I can see how miserable it makes her.
Breaks my heart to some extent. I had to try so hard and I'm still shit.
She loves singing and dancing and likes being on stage (was in 2 local am-dram musicals this summer) and plays keyboards in a 'rock school' type thing at school. The school thing is very theory-light (they just teach them easy songs and don't name the notes or anything) so it's a chance to get some musical knowledge that she can use for her stage stuff. She's like me in that she remembers chords and scales easily but has a clumsy right hand so I don't have any great hopes of raising the next Taylor Swift or anything. Also, her little brother is jealous of all the attention and has picked up her old Loog so I'll probably get a half-decent musician out of one of them.

I tried same with my son - he did play for a few years, but was a lot more into drums, he got good at that, much better than guitar.

Also tried piano with granddaughter when she was 6. She learned basic music theory and was playing a bit of piano, reading music notation... Then puff, not interested anymore. Shame, but no point in forcing. People who want to play music just do it. Like I did. No one forced me. When it's forced it leads to repulsion towards it.
My daughter did all the lessons. Piano (where she learned to read), ukulele and drums (which she wanted to do). She just didn't want to do it. I know what it's like to want to play piano and guitar because I really did. You can't force it. Nobody else in my family plays an instrument, or shows any interest in music at all (even listening). . . From great grandparents all the way across the brothers and cousins. It's just one of those things.

My daughter did all the lessons. Piano (where she learned to read), ukulele and drums (which she wanted to do). She just didn't want to do it. I know what it's like to want to play piano and guitar because I really did. You can't force it. Nobody else in my family plays an instrument, or shows any interest in music at all (even listening). . . From great grandparents all the way across the brothers and cousins. It's just one of those things.
Well, it'll stay with her. The act of leaning music in itself is wonderful, even if she never uses it, but maybe she'll get into it later in life, like I did!

My grandmother played the acordion. My mother played classical guitar, she played in concerts as a teenager, but then stopped. She tried to force me to play classical guitar too when I was a teenager but I only lasted 6 months. I thought it was boring and I myself also wanted to play the drums, but never pursued it.

And then, bam! At the age of 46 I fell in love with the guitar (my son's guitar was lying around the house, unloved) and haven't stopped playing since. I also started playing piano nearly 3 years ago, I got a keyboard for my granddaughter, she didn't really get into it, but I did... Funny how these things work.

Just bought a second hand Yorktown Cort. I had an electric guitar years ago when I didn't know what I was doing with it otherwise anything electric has been against my religion.

But actually this religion is wrong. I get a great bass thump out of this guitar and I can play weird chords with clarity - it's a jazz machine. It's got medium-high action so I don't play it too smooth. Which is good - it's a blues machine. Still there's definitely dweeble dweeble temptation involved playing it.

Feeding her electrons slowly.

View attachment 20240816_122614.mp4

Back
Top Bottom