Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Great Pottery Throwdown

The right decision on who left this week. Surprised that most of the potters are still making errors in their designs when it comes to the drying and firing at this stage of the game.
Jodie's water feature did look really good.

Yes I was very surprised he didn't go this week.

Sal's tiles were great, and she deserved to win, but my favourite tiles were Adam's Brighton design. And that Welsh woman's one. Forgot her name...

Alanis Morissette
That was the hardest one to do and at the end as they were all standing there I realised why she didn't rush into the scrum - she's tiny! Apart from that, I think she's been consistently very solid. I don't think she'll win though because she doesn't take the risks some of the others do

She was in a wheelchair for the interviews in at least one episode (shot in a way that you could hardly see the chair) so I think scrums might not be her deal really.

I've loved her ever since she did that "my dog loves cheese" thing 😁

We make stuff with fimo while watching. I think we both look forward to it all week 😳

The right decision on who left this week. Surprised that most of the potters are still making errors in their designs when it comes to the drying and firing at this stage of the game.
Jodie's water feature did look really good.

It’s really easy to misjudge timings in ceramics, especially with such a short window to make and create your work.

My experience at the studio frequently winds up as “I’ll do this thing quickly then move on” only to find suddenly its 3 hours later and I’ve still not finished.

Especially with hand building

If I had a garden worthy of the name I would love to put Jodie's wolf in it. But it's hard to see past Sal as the winner. She's absolutely ace.
That said, I am diabolical at picking the winner in any sort of telly programme that judges talent in any sort of artistic endeavour. Sewing, dancing, baking, painting; you name it. I am no judge at all.

I felt sorry for the engineering bloke’s failure to engineer his rusty bath.

I think it’s him or hannah for the chop next. He is really good at throwing though

I disagree. You have to follow the brief. You can be expressive within that brief, but if you don't do what's asked that's a big no no if you're being commissioned to do something. And this kind of professional style process is what's they're trying to reproduce.

I disagree. You have to follow the brief. You can be expressive within that brief, but if you don't do what's asked that's a big no no if you're being commissioned to do something. And this kind of professional style process is what's they're trying to reproduce.

Ach I know. I just thought they could have let one go but not two!!!

It was harsh but clearly it wound the judges up that the brief wasn't followed...
Sad for both of them tbh :(

I kind of felt one of them was definitely going...because theirs was so far from the design required. But very sad about the other person going. I really loved all their pieces and it was shit to have to go for one mistake when others have gotten to stay on after making shitloads of errors.

I wonder was it anything to do with the fact that that particular person was more trained in pottery than the others? Maybe someone felt there was an unfair advantage and took the first chance they got to eliminate them when a mistake was made.
I could be way off on that though

Alon has totally played outside the brief all the way through and I’m not surprised he went. I’m annoyed with Sal because that was just silly of her.

I had thought Peter wasn’t that good in the past but actually his throwing is great and this challenge was beautiful. I love that he cried as much as Keith 😍

I think it was a travesty that...

...Sal was kicked off. I reckon the only reason she went is that during the week after they took a break for Covid-19 reasons and they didn't chuck anyone out, that meant they had too many people to go into the semi final.

Yes, she shouldn't have gone off piste and put a lip on the pot, she should've stuck to the brief, but her decoration was totally in keeping with the theme and really lovely.

Her work has been consistently of a high quality throughout the series and I thought she was a likely winner.

Alon hasn't been sticking to briefs and while he's demonstrated an occasional flash of brilliance - and I actually loved the fold shape on those pots, although they didn't comply with the brief - his work has been much more patchy.

Sal was robbed.

I agree with you AnnO'Neemus

Can we not discuss after it’s been broadcast? I can’t be doing with all these bloody spoilers

eta I mean the spoiler codes. If people havent watched it, they just don’t look at the thread surely? :confused:

I agree with you AnnO'Neemus

Can we not discuss after it’s been broadcast? I can’t be doing with all these bloody spoilers

eta I mean the spoiler codes. If people havent watched it, they just don’t look at the thread surely? :confused:

You'd be surprised what people moan about. This should be safe enough because it's niche but go in and post without spoilers to a TV series or film thread and always one who hasn't seen it yet.

I only did the spoilers in mine as it was 2 minutes after finish

There's definitely something to Sals comments at the start of the challenge though about it being somewhat impossible or rude to copy the Acoma slavishly as she's not Acoma, and none of those pots will perform the same function as the original labels the judges gave them.

It's probably what counts as cultural appropriation.

I liked Alons pot make, neck openings could have been smaller, but his design was absolutely awful.

Sal's looked really Greek but the design was ace. She's also been consistently the strongest in the series and has helped the others at every turn. Such a shame to go over something as basic as a rim.

Some reality shows handle double evictions well, some don't. Maybe this one just didn't.

I agree with you Artaxerxes I thought Sal's pot looked more Greek too.

But when the challenge is to make a pot that's an homage to [whatever] they'd do well to make a pot that shape and them personalise it through elements of decoration.

And yes, there's the cultural appropriation or appreciation element. So it's understandable she didn't want to do a pastiche, she wanted to stamp her own mark on it, but she did that with her Cornish decoration and her dog.

The secondary challenge is bobbins and has nothing to do with who wins. i like watching it but pretending it has anything to do with the outcome is absurd.

I think they should have told them they were sending 2 home this week at the outset. When one is going, you know that you just have to be better than one person and Sue always was.

Back
Top Bottom