Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Grand Designs

I’m not sure if it should be called a 5 bedroom house or a 5 toilet house. As it has 5 toilets. That’s a lot of domestos.

We have four bogs, don't get though that much Domestos, it's still the same number of people using them as if we just had one...

Watching the one based on the Lammas community (Pembrokeshire 2016) and it’s fascinating. Starting budget of 500 quid and a bunch of scrap.

Spent some time around then looking into Lammas as well as I was fed up of London, it’s hard bloody work.

New series last night... Interesting choice to start with a gazillionaire, money no object folly where going 3x over an already huge budget barely mustered a shrug. Completely ridiculous house and while I didn't mind some aspects of the design - the views through the crazy glass and the shards outside - I thought ultimately it was not a nice house. and a waste of a great plot. and they seemed incredibly uninterested in 'their' project and very dull people. otherwwise, loved it! :D

That's just up the road from me. I go past it fairly often. I don't mind the place too much. And I'd rather than rich people spent money on creating new and interesting things that utilise a lot of skilled tradesmen.

yep, definitely see the argument in creating something interesting. they seemed strangely detached from the project, and fussing over his other investments, which made it hard to get involved. not sure there were that many skilled tradesman either, just a bonkers architect.

yep, definitely see the argument in creating something interesting. they seemed strangely detached from the project, and fussing over his other investments, which made it hard to get involved. not sure there were that many skilled tradesman either, just a bonkers architect.
There was an army of them! That much timber, carpentry, cladding and glazing can't be bodged. And the cost of the 150k kitchen will mainly be skilled time.

There was an army of them! That much timber, carpentry, cladding and glazing can't be bodged. And the cost of the 150k kitchen will mainly be skilled time.
true, I guess I meant the way a lot of it was made off site (and then bodged on site with some of it!). the main builder seemed great, "I wouldn't live here".

I've just watched this. The couple didn't seem like nasty people, but it's very difficult to empathise with someone like that. In your early 30s, with two houses and a fat plot of land already, and a garage full of I counted 6 egotistic cars, you then spend £2.5m on another house, without even factoring in the original land purchase.

Do the producers no longer look out so much for more interesting projects and people than this? They seem to have had more over-moneyed builders over the last few series. There was that family in Brighton who shat several million on a place which didn't look much cop, and that utter bell end in the last series who completely fucked up the cemetery cottage in a graveyard.

Just caught up with this. Cant believe they got planning permission for such a huge place in such a beautiful spot. I would love to live on that spot.
Regardless of what she said, it was his, inside and out. It was devoid of character, personality, warmth. It was not a home. No pictures, books, CDs or colour even. All that glass and not a window to be opened 🙁

I thought it was hilarious that nobody has thought about the bins. He had to struggle out a door to them. The angle of the wall meant he had to bend and sidle out to the bins... 😁

I thought it was hilarious that nobody has thought about the bins. He had to struggle out a door to them. The angle of the wall meant he had to bend and sidle out to the bins... 😁

That's OK, only the paid help or the wife will need to do that, and they don't matter.

I did get the impression they weren't living there yet, but it's still really odd that there weren't any pictures on the walls. I don't think there was anything that wasn't monochrome.

Quite like the actual building itself TBH. It's weird but interesting, and sort of does reflect those granite tors.

The next episode has way more normal and very likeable people who are going through IVF at the same time as building a more modest building on a brown belt plot. The husband is getting stuck in - he's a carpenter.

There's a fair bit of colour and it looks like a home. It's lovely.

And they have a double-decker bus as their carpentry workshop. Kevin thought it was a ridiculous idea, but my immediate reaction was "awesome!" And he was also aghast at the cost - £2k.

They do once again have impractical stairs for a household with a child though. At least this one has a banister rail. But then there's the huge gap where the spindles should be. That'll be fun once the baby starts using the stairs. What is this thing people on Grand Designs have against safe stairways? They'll need to put something around that massive firepit too.

It's really sweet overall though.

Last edited:
Second episode was much better, but, there was no mention at the end to confirm they had sorted the windows and doors.
Fantastic kitchen considering the guy made it from scratch!

This week: responding to an beautiful listed stone cottage by...sticking a vast featureless black cuboid on to it :facepalm:

I wanted to dislike it more than I did... Still feels a bit grim doing all that damage to the garden. And she was right, a lighter wood surely would have looked better.

Rising the level of the garden , helped .

I would have put a trellis up the walls with a 6in air gap , then something rigid and impermeable behind , instead of the black wood . The other side was in part ,Ivy all over , anyways !

Another good story. Someone building a home for all the right reasons and with family members doing the work. Final house and setting looked great

The couple last night were incredibly lucky that the planners insisted the ruin was knocked down. It allowed them to get in and build the house and put the old ruin back as a bit of facade at the end. So much easier and cheaper than trying to build around old crumbling crap.

Kevin is a bit of a bell end when it comes to old crap. He really believes that it has some magical properties to it. That somehow some old guff that hasn't fallen down yet is superior to anything else.

The couple last night were incredibly lucky that the planners insisted the ruin was knocked down. It allowed them to get in and build the house and put the old ruin back as a bit of facade at the end. So much easier and cheaper than trying to build around old crumbling crap.

Kevin is a bit of a bell end when it comes to old crap. He really believes that it has some magical properties to it. That somehow some old guff that hasn't fallen down yet is superior to anything else.

Pretty much sums up British planning laws

Back
Top Bottom