Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

NBN's Indulgently Precipitous New Poll :: Favourite SCIENCE FICTION Show :: GRAND FINAL

Your Favourite SCIENCE FICTION Show :: Grand Final (Choose up to Three)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What a depressing final list. There's not a single example of pure science fiction amongst them, for a start. Five space adventures, one kid's puppet show, three horror shows and Doctor Who, which is sporadically good and frequently terrible but never about the implications of actual scientific advances. I can't in good consciousness vote for any of them.
What would be your examples

What would be your examples
Black Mirror and Utopia were both great examples of hard sci-fi that were nominated for the semi-finals. I have recently started watching The Expanse (too recently to have reasonably voted for it) and that also seems to be written in an attempt to be consistent with the extrapolation of genuine science.

But if it had to be space opera, better that it had been Babylon 5 -- something written to be a story entire, rather than the monster-of-the-week-in-space shows presented here.

Black Mirror and Utopia were both great examples of hard sci-fi that were nominated for the semi-finals. I have recently started watching The Expanse (too recently to have reasonably voted for it) and that also seems to be written in an attempt to be consistent with the extrapolation of genuine science.

But if it had to be space opera, better that it had been Babylon 5 -- something written to be a story entire, rather than the monster-of-the-week-in-space shows presented here.
Black Mirror & Utopia have a distinct lack of spaceships & lasers. I'm not saying they're bad, just saying it's a bit like watching Baywatch and seeing no swimsuits, that's all.

Black Mirror & Utopia have a distinct lack of spaceships & lasers. I'm not saying they're bad, just saying it's a bit like watching Baywatch and seeing no swimsuits, that's all.
Real science doesn't have a whole lot of spaceships and lasers either. A bit but not much.

real science is boring. spaceships and aliens and that are much more entertaining
I half agree with you - real hard science fiction is much more suited to literature, whereas the tellybox is the natural home of spaceships, lasers, multi-breasted alien babes, etc.

If I want something intellectual, I'll read a good novel. When I want to make the most of my 55" 4K HDR widescreen telly I want spaceships, aliens & mind blowing CGI. Plot optional.

What a depressing final list. There's not a single example of pure science fiction amongst them, for a start. Five space adventures, one kid's puppet show, three horror shows and Doctor Who, which is sporadically good and frequently terrible but never about the implications of actual scientific advances. I can't in good consciousness vote for any of them.
That's an incredibly narrow definition of 'pure' science fiction. Both Star Trek series qualify for any reasonable strict definition. They may have space adventure elements but are at their best when they use the exploration of alien worlds as a way of discussing morality and society in general. I may be a little dense but I'm struggling to think what would really satisfy your definition.

ETA: I just hit return on a post written six hours ago and you have since answered the last question.

I half agree with you - real hard science fiction is much more suited to literature, whereas the tellybox is the natural home of spaceships, lasers, multi-breasted alien babes, etc.

If I want something intellectual, I'll read a good novel. When I want to make the most of my 55" 4K HDR widescreen telly I want spaceships, aliens & mind blowing CGI. Plot optional.
exactly - can't take in science if it's explained verbally on tv, but with books you have the leisure to take it in properly (and look up words and concepts for further elucidation).
I want to be entertained by tv, not lectured.

exactly - can't take in science if it's explained verbally on tv, but with books you have the leisure to take it in properly (and look up words and concepts for further elucidation).
I want to be entertained by tv, not lectured.

Carl Sagan or Neil degrasse Tyson not entertaining?

I don't know

Whilst not strictly sci-fi, the shows had dramaitc reconstructions of important scientific moments. But the vast amount of said shows was about the wonder and science of space and the history of discovery. Hence my intial reply to your idea that scienctific fact cant be entertaining...

Whilst not strictly sci-fi, the shows had dramaitc reconstructions of important scientific moments. But the vast amount of said shows was about the wonder and science of space and the history of discovery. Hence my intial reply to your idea that scienctific fact cant be entertaining...
ok, i've never found science shows about space entertaining, so I haven't watched any for a long time. i like science writing, but am not keen on space/physics - find it hard to understand and not particularly interesting.
fighting aliens in space, on the other hand...

ok, i've never found science shows about space entertaining, so I haven't watched any for a long time. i like science writing, but am not keen on space/physics - find it hard to understand and not particularly interesting.
fighting aliens in space, on the other hand...

Cosmos might (might) just do it for you, as regards science faction.

Fighting aliens in space is also entertaining. But push comes to shove; it's got to be well executed tales of parallell universes.... hence my love ofFringe.

Science fiction shouldn't be scientific to that extent. Azimov's robots still aren't anywhere near technologically possible an day never be. The books are about the moral and social implications of such a technology if it were possible.

Not watched expanse yet but, other examples are excellent shows and would definitely have preferred B5 to in the running rather than next gen. But I voted for the shows that gave me the most emotional impact when I first watched them and are ones I still enjoy watching, at the moment there is not at lot around that have that impact for me, though I have hopes for electric dreams on channel 4

monster of the week is just fine when buffy does it though eh kabbes? double standards
Monster of the week is fine in any format, and I'm not ruling it out in principle. Every Buffy series was a complete story arc in its own right too, though. Even their MOTW episodes generally advanced the overall plot.

It's not that I care if a science-as-magic space opera wins the poll. I just find it a bit depressing that out of 10 final place nominees for a science fiction show, there isn't a single example of actual hard science fiction. People don't even like sci-fi in their sci-fi, it would appear.

Back
Top Bottom