Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

NBN's Indulgently Precipitous New Poll :: Favourite SCIENCE FICTION Show :: GRAND FINAL

Your Favourite SCIENCE FICTION Show :: Grand Final (Choose up to Three)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If at least 4 more people don't vote for BSG before the poll closes I'm going to hurt a squirrel. Not physically of course, worse - psychologically. I'll ridicule its bushy tail, slag off its nut foraging skills & imply its mother was really a rat.

You have been warned. :mad:

I'd watch Baywatch if there were no swimsuits...

So say we all!

baywatch-banner-3-3.jpg

Takes all sorts...

Star Trek is a reasonable enough show, although their discussion of morality and society in general is hardly epoch-defining stuff. And it certainly belongs to the genre of sci-fi. But it isn't my definition of hard science fiction that it fails to meet. It seems a shame to me that not a single piece of hard sci-fi has made it onto the final list.

every single show mentioned on that wiki page should have been on the list. Person of Interest being one of the best things i've ever watched. Also would have liked to have seen Fringe. loved Utopia also.

i went for Battlestar Galactica as best of a bad bunch. and Red Dwarf for nostaligia (partly nostalgia because the later series were shit so in my view not a current show).

...And the results!

1. Star Trek: the Next Generation
2. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
3. Battlestar Galactica (Remake)
=4. Doctor Who
=4. Red Dwarf
6. The X-Files
7. Star Trek: the Original Series
8. The Clangers
9. The Day of the Triffids
10. The Time Tunnel

Pls consider a multiple nominations system for the next poll Nine Bob Note.

Having said that out of the final list the best show won. And the second best show came eighth.

1. Star Trek: the Next Generation
Liberals in space. I was sooo excited by there being new Star Trek in 1987. I was sooo disappointed by this tedious show.

2. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
My dad and older brother loved the books, radio show and TV series. By the time I watched it I knew all the jokes so well they just weren't funny. All that was left was some cheaply produced space yarn.

3. Battlestar Galactica (Remake)
For the first two series this was the best sci-fi show ever. The story at the beginning of the third series was brilliant but knocked the show off the rails. The writers didn't know where to go. By the fourth season I was thinking 'why am I watching this shit?'.

=4. Doctor Who
You know, for kids.

=4. Red Dwarf
Amusing when it was just some space sitcom. By the time it was BBC's flagship sci-fi show it was mostly terrible.

6. The X-Files
Okay when it wasn't really a sci-fi show, just some FBI agents investigating the supernatural. By the time alien spaceships were turning up all over the place I'd lost interest.

7. Star Trek: the Original Series
There were, what?, 73 episodes, each with a self contained story. About 40 of them were great. The rest ranged from dull to embarrassing.

8. The Clangers
My four year old says it's for 'little ones'. My 70 year old mum loves it.

9. The Day of the Triffids
I love John Wyndham. I've read and enjoyed most of his books. A few early 80s TV production issues aside, this is a great adaptation. It literally gave me nightmares when I saw it as a kid in 1981. I still liked it when I rewatched it a few years ago.

10. The Time Tunnel
Enjoyable cheese. Clearly not one of the top 10 sci-fi shows ever.

The correct answer is still Deep Space Nine.

BSG was a purer piece of sci-fi in terms of adherence to its own internal rules, but the story was ultimately scuppered by mumbo-jumbo and silly melodrama.

Next Generation didn't have a story arc, and some of the cast (particularly Troi and the two Crushers) are almost unwatchably bad. Apart from Guinan and the underused Ensign Ro there are basically no engaging women characters.

The correct answer is still Deep Space Nine.

BSG was a purer piece of sci-fi in terms of adherence to its own internal rules, but the story was ultimately scuppered by mumbo-jumbo and silly melodrama.

Next Generation didn't have a story arc, and some of the cast (particularly Troi and the two Crushers) are almost unwatchably bad. Apart from Guinan and the underused Ensign Ro there are basically no engaging women characters.
Leave Deanna Troi alone. She looked like my mate what I secretly fancied so I fancied her too. And Marina Sirtis is a North London girl.

There was some terrible acting in DS9 too (Jake and his little ferengi friend) And the big space battle they had in the final series was the shittest on screen space battle ever.

first two series of DS9 were....not good. if Discovery follows in the Trek tradition of being whack for the whole first series I will be annoyed. They can't get away with that in 2012, I have more than 4 channels now.

Leave Deanna Troi alone. She looked like my mate what I secretly fancied so I fancied her too. And Marina Sirtis is a North London girl.

She was fucking awful. Many was the time I'd be flicking through the EPG whilst bored, excitedly discovering that TNG was on and then realising "Oh shit, it's a Troi/Crusher episode!"

I've asked this before, but precisely how or why the fuck does she have the rank of commander? I remember she convinced Riker that she'd let Geordi burn to death in engineering if need be, was that it?

If at least 4 more people don't vote for BSG before the poll closes I'm going to hurt a squirrel. Not physically of course, worse - psychologically. I'll ridicule its bushy tail, slag off its nut foraging skills & imply its mother was really a rat.

You have been warned. :mad:
Goddamn this is real.
She was fucking awful. Many was the time I'd be flicking through the EPG whilst bored, excitedly discovering that TNG was on and then realising "Oh shit, it's a Troi/Crusher episode!"

I've asked this before, but precisely how or why the fuck does she have the rank of commander? I remember she convinced Riker that she'd let Geordi burn to death in engineering if need be, was that it?
Gene died and they ran out of things to do with and couldn't see the point of a counsellor on the bridge?

theres a character on The Orville which is *this* close to being a carbon copy of Ro
Nana Visitor?

They stopped listening to Roddenberry years before he died. His influence over season one was not a positive one.

I did not vote because of tories. :(

Also not only no 'The Expanse' but no Babylon 5 even.

You can vote for a kick to the balls or a poke to the eye, those are your only choices.:hmm:

That is a really odd selection of results. I think it's more a list of which shows most people have seen rather than what they actually think are the best.
The people didn't understand what they were voting for! They were mislead by dishonest propaganda! Let's have an another vote until we get the right answer! :eek:

It's the referendum all over again...:(

Back
Top Bottom