Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Nine Bob Note's Birthday Honours :: Greatest DETECTIVE/POLICE Show GRAND FINAL!!

Your Favourite Police/Detective Shows :: Grand Final (Choose up to Four)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We could have a slightly more rigorous nomination process rather than 'name all the science fiction shows you can think of'. Three nominations required to make the poll and no more than three per poster.

Blakes 7 would win brit one so easy it's not worth doing the poll.

Half the fun is all the really esoteric ones being remembered. Under your methodology we wouldn't get Jupiter Moon...

Blakes 7 was good but I think either Quatermas Conclusion (the Euston Films one) or the first series of the Original Survivors was better.

But Red Dwarf will win...

Loved Blake's 7 but come on; get real. Best British sci-fi? It's a no brainer.

cbba104746d4e9e2cbf8a74ceb50f59d.jpg

Wire has only won here because some people voted for the wire AND Columbo. Finals should not be multiple choice. Its desert island boxset time for gods sake.

I purposefully didn't vote for The Wire because as much as I love it I didn't want to skew the results even more.

if Who had never come back I would have remained as cool as people who like Blakes 7. On balance I'll take that loss because nuwho has been so good.

Been watching a few eps here and there. Most recently Matt Smith ones,which I never really loved but that one with Toby Jones and the 50th anniversary with John Hurt and the Tennant are ace. The latter being sentimental but understandably so, given the nature of the episode.

best british sci fi to narrow it down to a manageable poll. And Red Dwarf does count but doesn't deserve to win

Not sure it'd be possible these days as just about every expensive show (eg scifi) is a co-production between broadcasters/companies in two or twelve countries. Perhaps if such a poll were limited to classic shows, from ye olden days when the likes of the Beeb and ITV made their own shit rather than subcontracting everything out...

Not sure it'd be possible these days as just about every expensive show (eg scifi) is a co-production between broadcasters/companies in two or twelve countries. Perhaps if such a poll were limited to classic shows, from ye olden days when the likes of the Beeb and ITV made their own shit rather than subcontracting everything out...

ludicrous suggestion:
Open nominations
Make up 12 categories of sci-fi tv and assign the top 144 nominations into a category (one category each, you decide and your decision is final cos no way that can be an open discussion) and then do a poll for each.
Winner of each poll goes through to a final.
[it is 12 options on a poll isn't it? adjust that figure if not obv.]

categories eg:
classic sci-fi
modern sci-fi
sci-fi without aliens
sci-fi with aliens
posadism in action
shows that lots of people will say aren't sci-fi but blatantly are
comedy

idk what else but you get the idea. I definitely couldn't be arsed to do this and it'd be way too many threads anyway.

Personally, I would just announce the category, then ask for voters to send in a list of their Top 10 - in order. Then you can compile the lot, giving them a score of 10 for 1st (or 11, as a bonus for being best), down to 1 for 10th. Then you get the fairest result and a definite number 1. Piece of piss.

You could make it Top 20, of course.

Open nominations would have been just fine but for this lot nominating any old shit. The clue was in the word "greatest," this could be plural I'll grant you, but not some half-baked memory of your grandma watching ten minutes of some drivel on ITV in 1957 while passing her best doilies through the mangel.

Open nominations would have been just fine but for this lot nominating any old shit. The clue was in the word "greatest," this could be plural I'll grant you, but not some half-baked memory of your grandma watching ten minutes of some drivel on ITV in 1957 while passing her best doilies through the mangel.
Which is why my three nominees/three nominations rule would work while providing enough nominees for a few interesting heats. If I say Buck Rogers just because no-one has said Buck Rogers yet I run the risk of DS9 only getting two nominees and not making it to the heats. Also far easier to administer and more transparent than Belboid's system.

ludicrous suggestion:
Open nominations
Make up 12 categories of sci-fi tv and assign the top 144 nominations into a category (one category each, you decide and your decision is final cos no way that can be an open discussion) and then do a poll for each.
Winner of each poll goes through to a final.
[it is 12 options on a poll isn't it? adjust that figure if not obv.]

categories eg:
classic sci-fi
modern sci-fi
sci-fi without aliens
sci-fi with aliens
posadism in action
shows that lots of people will say aren't sci-fi but blatantly are
comedy

idk what else but you get the idea. I definitely couldn't be arsed to do this and it'd be way too many threads anyway.
So, how would the A Team be catorgarised under this methodology?

And so it is done. The results: -

1. The Wire
2. Columbo
3. Hill Street Blues
4. Cracker
=5. Sherlock Holmes (Jeremy Brett)
=5. The X-Files
7. Line of Duty
=8. Homicide: Life on the Streets
=8. True Detective
=8. Cagney & Lacey
11. Sherlock (Benedict Cumberbatch)

The next poll, unless anyone wishes to usurp me and do better themselves (and don't let me stop you), will be favourite science fiction show. Nominations will be limited to three per person, with all nominations being thrown into a number of straw polls, with the top twelve scoring across the board going through to the final.

The next poll, unless anyone wishes to usurp me and do better themselves (and don't let me stop you), will be favourite science fiction show. Nominations will be limited to three per person, with all nominations being thrown into a number of straw polls, with the top twelve scoring across the board going through to the final.
When?

Back
Top Bottom