Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Nine Bob Note's Birthday Honours :: Greatest DETECTIVE/POLICE Show GRAND FINAL!!

Your Favourite Police/Detective Shows :: Grand Final (Choose up to Four)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Fucking Columbo!
It's entertaing in a period piece kind of way, sure but is it really worthy of number two?
Yes, for at least it's first six seasons, although many later ones were also excellent.

It set standards in writing, direction and Peter Falk's portrayal. And it was always unafraid to use the latest technology and cultural trends as integral to its plots, meaning it was always forward looking and ground breaking in its ideas. It also means that episodes now stand as fascinating bellwethers of the era they come from. Columbos from the early 70s remain genuinely great to watch, and there's not much other TV that can be said about almost 50 years after it was made. The Wire was also groundbreaking and not undeserving of its win, but Columbo is the only other contender on that list worthy of challenging and even beating it.

It has to also be said, mind, that Hill Street Blues was also a trailblazer -- for its multi-threaded plotting -- and well worthy of its third place.

So, how would the A Team be catorgarised under this methodology?

I don't think of the a team a sci fi so sounds like you might put it in the shows people say aren't but blatantly are category, or classic/modern sci fi depending on where you draw the line, or add Action as a category, or whatever.

Yes, for at least it's first six seasons, although many later ones were also excellent.

It set standards in writing, direction and Peter Falk's portrayal. And it was always unafraid to use the latest technology and cultural trends as integral to its plots, meaning it was always forward looking and ground breaking in its ideas. It also means that episodes now stand as fascinating bellwethers of the era they come from. Columbos from the early 70s remain genuinely great to watch, and there's not much other TV that can be said about almost 50 years after it was made. The Wire was also groundbreaking and not undeserving of its win, but Columbo is the only other contender on that list worthy of challenging and even beating it.

I've no problem with Falk but sometimes the stories are a bit ropey. Whereas The Wire never faltered, not even season 5.

I've no problem with Falk but sometimes the stories are a bit ropey. Whereas The Wire never faltered, not even season 5.
The invented serial killer? Ffs.

The glory of s4 was its unique accuracy in depicting the jagged end of education in the inner cities. Phenomenal accuracy. And then... what? A series about something that is vanishingly improbable? It's a fucking embarrassment. It completely shit the bed.

A multi point post. Sorry:

1. Thanks Nine Bob Note for an excellent event!

2: Post of the month for me:

Open nominations would have been just fine but for this lot nominating any old shit. The clue was in the word "greatest," this could be plural I'll grant you, but not some half-baked memory of your grandma watching ten minutes of some drivel on ITV in 1957 while passing her best doilies through the mangel.

3: The Wire deserves the title. But it would have been better if they finished at series four. See, the people behind the Matrix knew not to spoil it by making sequels.

it had a ropey season. Lets face is, the journos one wasn't great and mcnulty inventing a serial killer was not great

4. I've never actually seen Cracker, I'd always dismissed it as tosh. Might give it a go now seeing the other winners are all excellent.

5. I'm not going to write about Columbo.

6. Just one more thing.

Cracker is tosh.

No, this is Tosh

ql0pcYku.jpg

Back
Top Bottom