Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Grand Designs

In the process of looking for that video I came across an interview with him from 2009 and it made me like him a bit more despite it leading with "my biggest fear is being poor." :facepalm:

I agree. It's more that coming from the mouth of someone who is incredibly posh and rolling in it doesn't seem to have the same effect as coming from someone who is or has a very real chance of experiencing it.

From the opening minutes, when you were shown into these rich kids office hidden inside a junk food place in Leicester Square, you know you were going to hate them. They bought a beautiful 19c cottage in a beautiful part of the Sussex countryside worthy of a Constable painting. So what did they do, they ignored it and built a huge box that totally overshadowed it next door. The crowning glory was when the bloke disapeared into a cavity behind the fireplace, the woman threw a switch and you could then see him from behind a mirror.
It's time rich architects Etc. were banned.
It was monsterous, there was nothing to like!

I liked the house, but the people were more-money-than-sense.

Kevin was in heaven. Pretentious posh architects - identical wavelength.

I knew I'd hate them the moment the programme started. Vile people. Utterly vile.

The house was ugly as sin. However, I can't fault them for wanting to have a fun place for the kids, and a fun place for them. I just wish they weren't such massive fucking wankers about it all. And I did approve that they didn't much care if their kids broke all the bones in their bodies while exploring the house :thumbs:

Kev focused a bit on the £880k budget, but only once mentioned the £700k they'd already spent on the cottage and land. I seem to remember one a few years ago, in Brighton I think, where they just threw their bottomless pit of money at it.

Lovely bent wood house last night. I wanted to hate the couple for just being too perfect but they worked their arses off, showed grit, passion and talent and created a thing of beauty.

Yup, last night was good. Forgetting the house, he was just amazing with wood. Good hard workers and some brilliant wood touches to a relatively modest house house. Much better than last week. Good luck to them.

th

I liked it, but it wasn't very real life. The kitchen was empty except for a few ornaments. Who lives like that?

Ornaments. kitchen. No way. I would have a totally clear kitchen if only I had the space. It looks so much tidier, not to mention, so much easier to keep clean.

Lovely bent wood house last night. I wanted to hate the couple for just being too perfect but they worked their arses off, showed grit, passion and talent and created a thing of beauty.

The only things that counted against them were calling their sons Bo and Bear (I think I heard that right). There was no mention of where baby was going to sleep either.

I liked them though and I definitely liked the house.

lovely house no doubt, but when he said it was the first time he'd ever lived in a house with heating I got he feeling they were playing a game of "lets not let-on how rich we are, and appear to be like a poor couple, grown up on a council estate, happened on this great opportunity" number... their dialects didn't fit at all to that spiel.
My guess, they both came from money.
Yeah right, she struggled so hard during pregnancy etc and what a stroke of luck having a coincidental windfall at an exhibition in a major Oxford st reatil store just when they were about to do all the work... and that very windfall happened to pay a few builders to do that very work...
Cynic I am - the thing looked fake from start to finish.

rich kids doing rich kid things trying to look poor cool

and he looked liked Frank Lampard :mad:

Haven't watched any of this new series. Increasingly, with the housing crisis as it is in the UK, progressively getting worse year on year, programs such this seem increasingly obscene "hey proles, sit in your bedsit, watch Grand Designs and dream" soma for the working poor.

Aspirational innit. Fuck em.

I hated it!

I quite liked last night's, although it was far too big. I'm glad they got the cash together in the end though.

I didn't like it at all, he was out of his depth from a design perspective and it just looked lumpen and solid. Filling it with country cottage furniture didn't do it any favours either.

Yes, I liked their commitment to the low-impact approach to construction but I can't help but think they'll be spending the rest of their lives there maintaining the structure. Not so much of a problem while they're young but as they get older it could be a problem.

And the twee windows by the front door can do one.

What's happened to this series? I think it got bumped off last week for a Last Leg special on the US election, but then it didn't appear last night either.

What's happened to this series? I think it got bumped off last week for a Last Leg special on the US election, but then it didn't appear last night either.
I saw it last night, or at least i think I was watching it live on C4. Bungalow converted into a big wooden thing. Started off looking like a dogs dinner but turned out pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom