Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Grand Designs

Three shows in and, whilst the canal man and the accountant haven't been quite as objectionable as the clean freak in the first episode, I can't say I've warmed to any of the protagonists so far. Last night's house was the nicest, but far too indulgent. Hopefully we'll get some building in inner city gaps squeezing space out of nowhere at some point.

Yes - totally indulgent, which was the point I guess. Hope the stress of working rather than (I assume) an early retirement, to pay it all off doesn't finish him off. Didn't mind the finished house though, did look subtle from the shore. Hope that beach front is on a sheltered bay though, climate change an'all.

I struggle to understand the motivation of most people to appear on GD apart from 'look at me, look at me and my wonderful new house' - there must be a financial incentive, i.e. they get paid to be part of the program? If I was lucky enough to have the land, cash and / or access to credit to do something like what they feature in GD, getting the cameras in would be the last thing I would want. If Kevin wanted to pop in for a cuppa and chat, he would be welcome however :thumbs:, perhaps he does private consultancies...
You don't get paid and you aren't allowed to use the name to get discounts for publicising products or anything. The contract is pretty strict.

My parents built an eco-house and considered it as part of a plan to publicise green building techniques which they think is important. But they eventually decided not to as doing something expensive and stressful then adding cameras seemed to be asking for trouble :)

I can't see the appeal of living in a house that big personally. The materials on the outside did look good though. Too much white on the inside but that seems to be the way with most of these more-money-than-sense types, 60 grand on pebbledash but won't spring for a few tins of paint :rolleyes:

That bloke the other night; His wife said since his life changing experience he is leaner and nicer :confused:. The architect, project manager wasn't the most likeable person on the planet either!
I really have issues with people owning the beach. For keeping the house part of the landscape they covered some of it in pebbles. To do that they dug up hundreds of tons of nearby beach...nooooo.:facepalm:

Woah, the series definitely picked its game up last night. It reminded me a bit of that coppicer from a few years back. Highly recommended.

It was lovely. Not the most practical home for a bloke with a progressive condition that causes mobility problems (and no room for his kids), but it was still a wonderful home to build. If he wanted to he could make a bomb letting it out in the summer.

£62k to buy it + came in under the £100k budget he had for it as well! Yes, excellent episode - so much more uplifting to watch than those ones where they just throw money at the project (→ Harry Enfield - Considerably More Richer Than Yeow).
Not the most practical home for a bloke with a progressive condition that causes mobility problems (and no room for his kids), but it was still a wonderful home to build.
True dat - guess he always has the option of digging out more room if he wanted although getting light into the extra spaces would be an issue.

Last edited:
£62k to buy it + came in under the £100k budget he had for it as well! Yes, excellent episode - so much more uplifting to watch than those ones where they just throw money at the project (→ Harry Enfield - Considerably More Richer Than Yeow).

True dat - guess he always has the option of digging out more room if he wanted although getting light into the extra spaces would be an issue.
I'm sure they mentioned he could also build onto the front if he needed to. I guess it would lose some of the character but it's always a possibility if the extra space became essential.

For those of you who can't get enough of Grand designs, all 6 seasons of Grand designs Australia can be viewed here.

Also Grand Designs New Zealand has just aired its first episode and that can be viewed here.

Be warned that you will get pop-up adverts if you don't have an ad-blocker and don't download anything, it isn't necessary to watch the programs.

More4 have shown various episodes of GD Aus over the years, and I've dipped in and out of them. Usually pretty enjoyable, much as our version is.

It was lovely. Not the most practical home for a bloke with a progressive condition that causes mobility problems (and no room for his kids), but it was still a wonderful home to build. If he wanted to he could make a bomb letting it out in the summer.

he's started renting it out already - its a lovely place, i've walked passed it a couple of times. blokes really nice as well...

personally i prefer the 'house that 100k built' series, much more inventive than GD, and without the somewhatwhat annoying 'oh, we'll have to just borrow another £200,000, nothing major...'.

Isn't that the one the bloke in the programme bought?

yeah, this is the auction where matey-cakes bought it - actually, it might be the auction where the people matey-cakes bought it off bought it...

there's more than a handful of these houses in the wyre forest-kinver edge area, it was, up until 1945ish, a relatively 'normal' way of living, and conditions in them would have been on the better side of average relative to the general standard of housing.

kinver-edge-rock-house-furnished.jpg

kinver-rock-house-exterior.jpg

kinver-edge-rock-house-interior.jpg

it sounds like the acist (word?) thing in the world to me - not just living in a cave motherfucker, but having every day as talk-like-a-pirate day.

oh I could well live there. But if your grand design is to live like a wrecker-king and scrimshaw whalebones while singing sea shanties, then people should be informed. They might want to join in.

A quick heads up that what looks like a brand new series starts in half an hour. A treehouse in Gloucestershire apparently.

Nice site and nice views but the house itself was a bit clunky and boring really, aside from the technicalities of the structural support.

Do you remember that build many seasons ago that Kevin absolutely LOATHED?

It had a swimming pool indoors or something.

He really let his snobby upper-middle-class arsehole come to the fore in that one.

Did they not have a huge walkwayup to the house without any hand rails? Hope they are insured for people slipping of the sides.
Can't remember what the rights of ay over other peoples property was like, which might be an issue.

Do you remember that build many seasons ago that Kevin absolutely LOATHED?

It had a swimming pool indoors or something.

He really let his snobby upper-middle-class arsehole come to the fore in that one.
Was that a church conversion or something? Had a weird windowless pool in the basement .

It was a pretty enough house in the end but god if I don't end up hating the people on it more and more with each passing series.
Gsv noted how horrified the wife looked throughout the build.

He was salivating at the house, tho, which I also liked.

Back
Top Bottom