Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Graham Swann wants one day internationals scrapped

strung out

💩 🤣 🍆 💦 🧐 👻 🐝 🐈‍⬛
he reckons test cricket and 20/20 only is the way forward http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/15899824.stm

i can see where he's coming from, but personally i'd prefer to see 20/20 scrapped rather than one dayers. there's certainly far too much cricket being played at the moment, and test cricket is severely in danger of becoming marginalised in favour of lesser forms of the game. you only have to look at the joke of the recent Australia/South Africa test series to realise that we're already seeing the best form of the game ditched in favour of more lucrative alternatives and something has to give imo.

Yeh I agree with him. Have thought this for a while.

Although in sayin that, in 20 years there'll prolly be calls to scrap the 20 over format in favour of the new shiny exciting 5 over format...

Never mind that, anyone following the Mumbai Test? Match drawn with the scores level and one Indian wicket left standing with a run out off the last ball. Breathless stuff

this is a golden period for test cricket. there have been some absolutely stunning matches and series in the last couple of years.

Going by the Cricinfo text commentary, seems that Ashwin was settling for one off the last ball by smashing it down to long on and being slow to run and then turn for the second. Run out by a mile but could have been different had he been quicker off the mark. Test cricket, awesome :)

this is a golden period for test cricket. there have been some absolutely stunning matches and series in the last couple of years.

Well you'd think so.

But there were approximately 10 people there watching the drawn test mentioned above. Test cricket's dead in india, which is not good for the format.

...in the dreadful Wankhede, which is miles from anywhere, on a normal working day in India and with a board uninterested in promoting Tests anyway.

I'll wager the radio/tv audience measured in the many millions

Well you'd think so.

But there were approximately 10 people there watching the drawn test mentioned above. Test cricket's dead in india, which is not good for the format.
i didn't see any pictures, but cricinfo said this about the attendance at the wankhede...

"And enjoyed by a lovely crowd, who put rest to the notion outside India that India watches cricket only for Tendulkar"

From Dileep Premachandran's report on Cricinfo:

What saved the game for West Indies was a spirit and unity of purpose that hasn't always been in evidence in the past decade. Sammy spoke afterward of Kirk Edwards at cover chanting "win or draw, win or draw". Defeat wasn't countenanced even with a bowler short and two men hobbling; their commitment would have gladdened the hearts of those who have seen better days.

Sammy, who scored a direct hit - Ashwin had just made his ground - at one stage while hopping across the ground like Long John Silver, epitomised that resolve. More talented cricketers have worn the maroon cap in the past 15 years. The vast majority, though, have lacked his humility and commitment to the cause. For a young team finding its way, he's the perfect leader.
Which sounds hopeful for the Windies :)

Only the second instance of a Test finishing drawn with the scores level - I well remember the first, the infamous'flippin' murdered 'em' Test in Bulawayo in 1996. Not David Lloyd's finest hour...

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63734.html

Back
Top Bottom