Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Google Pixel phones - news, updates

I'm very meh about the Pixel 7 Pro fingerprint jobby. I previously had a Pixel 5 and the fingerprint thing was perfectly placed, made using the phone easy. Muscle memory will take over, and I won't notice that in a few months I'll have forgotten about any mehness I'm feeling now.

I've had it on screen for a few phones now so I'm used to it, but still preffered the dedicated reader on the back.

Reactions: Chz
7a is now £50 cheaper.

Ignoring that I'm very impressed with it so far. Battery would ideally last a bit longer. But getting used to the 6.1" screen. Camera is excellent.

Damn.
Was close to ordering a 6a to replace my ailing Motorola G4 and realised they dropped the audio jack.
So I will need to have a punt on a replacement BT h/p amp after the last one prematurely died with no warranty joy...
I don't want a bloody great USB dongle sticking out the bottom of the thing ...

Damn.
Was close to ordering a 6a to replace my ailing Motorola G4 and realised they dropped the audio jack.
So I will need to have a punt on a replacement BT h/p amp after the last one prematurely died with no warranty joy...
Screenshot_20230825-201624.png

Reactions: MBV
Damn.
Some of the USB dongles really are rather small. And cheap.

This style looks feasible - not least because I always have my phones in protective soft wallets, but I'm still skeptical for a whole bunch of reasons.
Since it's the way things have gone, time to see if really cheap BT adapters are good enough.
I'm not ready to pay for a posh one yet or willing to gamble another £30 on the sort I briefly had last year.

1693031126335.png

This style looks feasible - not least because I always have my phones in protective soft wallets, but I'm still skeptical for a whole bunch of reasons.
Since it's the way things have gone, time to see if really cheap BT adapters are good enough.
I'm not ready to pay for a posh one yet or willing to gamble another £30 on the sort I briefly had last year.

View attachment 388881
I used to have some pretty good BT to 3.5mm affairs a few years back. I might still have them knocking about of you want to try one. Let me know.

I don't use them any more and I'm sure there was one or two unopened last time I saw them.

I used to have some pretty good BT to 3.5mm affairs a few years back. I might still have them knocking about of you want to try one. Let me know.

I don't use them any more and I'm sure there was one or two unopened last time I saw them.
Thanks for the offer, but I see there's a BT 5.0 Fiio for under £50 so I may take a punt on that - meanwhile I might have another stab at my cheap Chinese one with a soldering iron ... (bastards ignored my refund request and Amazon were useless...)

Google officially announces October 4 launch event for the Pixel 8 and Pixel 8 Pro

I'm not unhappy with my 6, but might end up getting one of these in February so I can pass my 6 to my partner. Hope the base price doesn't go up to much, but suspect it will.

She's still using my P30 (great phone), but the GPS on it died. That said if the price on the pixel rises and Samsung doesn't I might jump ship. It's a bit daft but I didn't think the extra weight of the 6 would bother me, but I do prefer a slightly lighter phone.

I was surprised in the difference weight between my Pixel 3 and 6. I am enjoying my £6/month sim only plan for the time being so will keep my 6 for a couple more years.

I was surprised in the difference weight between my Pixel 3 and 6. I am enjoying my £6/month sim only plan for the time being so will keep my 6 for a couple more years.

That would normally be plan as well. Use the contract to get a cheaper phone and then switch to SIM only till it breaks. I'd still be using the P30 if it wasn't for the GPS issue.

I don't think there's enough improvements to justify changing phone every two years.

Reactions: MBV
I'm sure I read somewhere that the regular Pixel 8 is slightly smaller than the previous 7 which is pleasing to hear too.

That would normally be plan as well. Use the contract to get a cheaper phone and then switch to SIM only till it breaks. I'd still be using the P30 if it wasn't for the GPS issue.

I don't think there's enough improvements to justify changing phone every two years.
Oh definitely not any more, but that P30 is a bit long in the tooth. I had an Honor V20, which is very much a refined P30 but without the zoom lens and the Pixel 7 was massively better in every way except for this in screen fingerprint reader bullshit.

Oh definitely not any more, but that P30 is a bit long in the tooth. I had an Honor V20, which is very much a refined P30 but without the zoom lens and the Pixel 7 was massively better in every way except for this in screen fingerprint reader bullshit.

Yes, if it had kept working as it should, I'd be thinking of replacing it about now. I don't need amazing performance in a phone, but a great camera and OLED screen are important to me and those a features that filtering down to the mid range (which I think the pricing of the basic Pixel sits at, top mid range/low high end)

fyi Amazon are doing their best to flog these in the UK at the mo' by offering Pixel 8 & 8 Pro on 12 months interest free payments via Amazon (so no credit check or anything as I understand it).

I've used this (well, over 5 months) to buy a laptop and some headphones in the past and it works well. Dunno if it is only available to Prime people or what (can anyone confirm?).

And you still get the free buds or watch!

I'm kinda tempted but I only bought the 7pro (checks records) 51 weeks ago :(
I might have gone for the Google deal if the trade in was better (£347!)

ho, and indeed, hum

Last edited:
I ordered the official google case for £34 :facepalm: This is the first "pro", "ultra" or "max" phone I have ever purchesd, so got carried away.

Yesterday changed my mind. Now can't cancel as its getting ready to ship. Will return it for a refund. Ordered this instead

I gave up on those bulky cases ages ago. My phone is covered by insurance anyway so I just use this one and it makes the phone so much nicer to hold

Reactions: Chz
I gave up on those bulky cases ages ago. My phone is covered by insurance anyway so I just use this one and it makes the phone so much nicer to hold

How is the protection against drop? Ultra thin makes me worried as I never insure phones.

Back
Top Bottom