Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Google Pixel phones - news, updates

I don't think there's enough of a leap in tech to make frequent upgrades worthwhile.

Mind you I seem so unlucky with my phones its rare I hold on to them for longer then 3 years.
The phone I just replaced was a 5 year old Xiaomi Mi8. The phone I replaced it with is no better, and cost as much. I'd have kept the Mi8 but my mother needed a phone, as her 7 year old Mi6 had been dropped one too many times, and would no longer stay together. She loves her new 5 year old phone.

I don't think there's enough of a leap in tech to make frequent upgrades worthwhile.

Mind you I seem so unlucky with my phones its rare I hold on to them for longer then 3 years.
I'd normally agree but the AI stuff - especially the auto email/call summaries - are going to make it money well spent for me.

I'd normally agree but the AI stuff - especially the auto email/call summaries - are going to make it money well spent for me.

Colour me sceptical, but we'll see. But jesus how many do you get a month this is an important feature? I'm not sure I'd even use it at work if someone else was paying. Which depressingly they are looking in to.

Colour me sceptical, but we'll see. But jesus how many do you get a month this is an important feature? I'm not sure I'd even use it at work if someone else was paying. Which depressingly they are looking in to.
Because of the sites I run - and the fact I have a host of different jobs - get sent shitloads of emails. Being able to see summaries instead of trawling through what can be rambling messages is really going to help.

Can't get worked up over whatever happens to influencers looking for freebies, tbh.
The point is less about the influencers, more that Google is pressuring them to say they prefer the Pixel in any comparisons even if they don't.

Like it or not influencers matter, which is why Google tried doing this.

Backfired a bit though eh. :)

The point is less about the influencers, more that Google is pressuring them to say they prefer the Pixel in any comparisons even if they don't.

Like it or not influencers matter, which is why Google tried doing this.

Backfired a bit though eh. :)
It’s not exactly don’t be evil,is it?

Is this facility included in the free version of the Ai thing editor ? Or in the subscription version of Gemini?

I agree it'd be useful in some cases, like yours with bucketloads of mail, but is it worth £18 a month on top of the phone/SIM etc. I wouldn't use it enough to make it worth paying for but I don't get anywhere near the amount of email you do I imagine - well, not work stuff anyway.

Is this facility included in the free version of the Ai thing editor ? Or in the subscription version of Gemini?

I agree it'd be useful in some cases, like yours with bucketloads of mail, but is it worth £18 a month on top of the phone/SIM etc. I wouldn't use it enough to make it worth paying for but I don't get anywhere near the amount of email you do I imagine - well, not work stuff anyway.

I can see the value of some of this stuff. I've a few times for a month of ChatGPT, mostly for studying for Microsoft exams.

Today I was pasting all the emails I've got from booking our upcoming holiday it to ChatGPT and getting it to do me an itinerary. But £18 a month is way to steep for that.

It's bundled in for free with the phone

Anyone jumped and got a Pixel9 yet (any flavour/size) yet? I'd be interested in opinions.

My Vodafone contract is up this week so I'm thinking of trading in my Pixel 7 Pro against a 9 Pro XL via the Google store.

I'll get (if they stick to it) an enhanced trade in of £540 and a free pair of Pixel Buds Pro 2 (should be £219).
So a 256GB Pixel Pro 9 XL and Pixel Pro Buds 2 for £659 (plus my £7.90 a month Lebara SIM) feels like a good deal to me.

I have 100gb a month with Vodafone but I very rarely use over 10gb in a month as I have wifi everywhere I usually am (home, work, Uni, library, Wetherspoons etc). But that was the deal that got me a free Pixel watch and a £220 trade in at the time against my old Samsung.

Anyone think I can do better somewhere else?

Last edited:
Anyone jumped and got a Pixel9 yet (any flavour/size) yet? I'd be interested in opinions.

My Vodafone contract is up this week so I'm thinking of trading in my Pixel 7 Pro against a 9 Pro XL via the Google store.

I'll get (if they stick to it) an enhanced trade in of £540 and a free pair of Pixel Buds Pro 2 (should be £219).
So a 256GB Pixel Pro 9 XL and Pixel Pro Buds 2 for £659 (plus my £7.90 a month Lebara SIM) feels like a good deal to me.

I have 100gb a month with Vodafone but I very rarely use over 10gb in a month as I have wifi everywhere I usually am (home, work, Uni, library, Wetherspoons etc). But that was the deal that got me a free Pixel watch and a £220 trade in at the time against my old Samsung.

Anyone think I can do better somewhere else?
I bought the Pixel Pro 9 XL outright and pay about £8/month with Three on a rolling monthly contract - unlimited calls and text, and (I think) 8GB of data which I never even come close to using up.

It's a lovely phone!

I bought the Pixel Pro 9 XL outright and pay about £8/month with Three on a rolling monthly contract - unlimited calls and text, and (I think) 8GB of data which I never even come close to using up.

It's a lovely phone!
What colour?
Which size?
Where's the review?
Did you bother with a screen protector?
Which case did you get?
etc.......

What colour?
Which size?
Where's the review?
Did you bother with a screen protector?
Which case did you get?
etc.......
It's the Pro 9 XL and I got it in the Hazel colour.
There was (still is, I think) a good deal on trade ins and they're currently bundling in the Pixel Pro 2 earbuds which are bloody fantastic.

It's the Pro 9 XL and I got it in the Hazel colour.
There was (still is, I think) a good deal on trade ins and they're currently bundling in the Pixel Pro 2 earbuds which are bloody fantastic.

Yeah - I think I am looking at the same deal - buying direct from Google

There are some good looking ID Mobile deals around where one can get:
  • the P9P XL
  • with the earbuds
  • and the pixel 3 41mm watch - all for around £60 than the Google SIM FREE deal with my Lebara SIM costs added in

But - are ID Mobile crap? Does anyone have any experience of them? I started another thread in this forum on this but no response as yet - sorry to cross post but I'm trying to get a wriggle on before these deals disappear. If ID are soooo bad I may skip it from an aggro avoided POV. All I know is that their 5G ain't as strong where I live as it is on Voda/Lebara and that their Customer Service rating is poorer too.

Cheers in advance

Back
Top Bottom