Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Google Pixel phones - news, updates

I saw these mentioned in some email newsletter I got yesterday and ended up on the Google store site last night.
Some okay and enhanced trade in values at the moment.
I think it was £357 for my pixel pro.

Which colour are you going for editor ?

Prices have crept up a bit. :(

I expect we'll see some great deals on the 8 soon. I think I'm going to wait a year(ish) for the 10 and then look to get a new 9 to replace my 6.

I expect we'll see some great deals on the 8 soon. I think I'm going to wait a year(ish) for the 10 and then look to get a new 9 to replace my 6.
I got a stonking deal on my 8 via carphonewarehouse + enhanced cashback + topcashback. Took some pissing about with the tradein and in the end they paid it twice so I forgave them. Keep an eye on hotukdeals.

That being said I'm not super impressed, I had a 4 year old Oppo before that was holding up very well and was somehow more polished and less buggy than my new pixel which seems to get confused with the gestures (i.e pulling the running app selector up works 50/50 and going back often clashes with app's back gesture). The dialler is dreadful too and I often struggle to be able to hang up and it suggests ancient never used contacts over people I call daily, the camera often opens unfocused (although that seems to have been resolved as of late). It's also started flag a warning about having moisture/debris in the USB port too and were it not for the fact it was near free once all the deals stacked I'd have been pretty disappointed.

In short it's not quite the smooth native experience I was hoping for but then Google has gone to shit all around so no big surprise. Based on my experience with the 8 I certainly wouldn't be in a hurry to chuck the big money down for a 9 that's for sure.

I got a stonking deal on my 8 via carphonewarehouse + enhanced cashback + topcashback. Took some pissing about with the tradein and in the end they paid it twice so I forgave them. Keep an eye on hotukdeals.

That being said I'm not super impressed, I had a 4 year old Oppo before that was holding up very well and was somehow more polished and less buggy than my new pixel which seems to get confused with the gestures (i.e pulling the running app selector up works 50/50 and going back often clashes with app's back gesture). The dialler is dreadful too and I often struggle to be able to hang up and it suggests ancient never used contacts over people I call daily, the camera often opens unfocused (although that seems to have been resolved as of late). It's also started flag a warning about having moisture/debris in the USB port too and were it not for the fact it was near free once all the deals stacked I'd have been pretty disappointed.

In short it's not quite the smooth native experience I was hoping for but then Google has gone to shit all around so no big surprise. Based on my experience with the 8 I certainly wouldn't be in a hurry to chuck the big money down for a 9 that's for sure.

That's a shame. The main reasons I preferred "high" end phones was camera quality and screen quality. The screens on mid range phones are so much better then they were, heck even my 100 quid work phone has a basic OLED in it, but of course the best camera are kept the high end.

If you don't like the dialer, you could probably download an alternative? Never had the moisture issue with my Pixel, thank god, used to drive me up the wall with my Samsung.

I have to say I'm not exactly bowled over by my Pixel 7a - I find the display on my 7 year ol MotoG4 plus easier to watch for videos and I've just discovered there's a Motorola out there with an earphone jack that will take an SD card up to 1TB..
OK it forced me to up my audio game with a Fiio headphone amp (huge improvement) but I would happily have put off that purchase and the ability to have my entire FLAC CD collection on my phone would have made that purchase more worthwhile ...
With only 128GB of storage it's annoying that the Pixel won't record video at less than HD ...

I've never used a phone for 7 years and AI doesn't add value to me on smartphone. Let's see in a couple of years.
Well of course, everyone's needs are different.

The Pixel secured my loyalty thanks to its incredible cameras and the bloody amazing call screening which improves my mood every time it's called into action.

The new AI email/call summary is something I can see me using every day (I get huge amounts of emails and quite a few demand my attention).

That said, I have found myself being lured in by features that haven't proved as essential as I hoped in the past ( mainly with cameras), but my experience with my first Pixel phone has been overwhelming positive, so I'm in for an upgrade!

I've just discovered there's a Motorola out there with an earphone jack that will take an SD card up to 1TB..
With one Android upgrade and two years of security patches (several months after the fact). Not the same market segment, really. I may not keep my phone 7 years, but I certainly keep it for more than three.

Moto phones are fine for their price (though even Xiaomi has a better update policy - I'd take them in a heartbeat over Motorola), but it's not the same thing at all. And that's before we look at the camera.

I have to say I'm not exactly bowled over by my Pixel 7a - I find the display on my 7 year ol MotoG4 plus easier to watch for videos and I've just discovered there's a Motorola out there with an earphone jack that will take an SD card up to 1TB..
OK it forced me to up my audio game with a Fiio headphone amp (huge improvement) but I would happily have put off that purchase and the ability to have my entire FLAC CD collection on my phone would have made that purchase more worthwhile ...
With only 128GB of storage it's annoying that the Pixel won't record video at less than HD ...
Agreed, came to the 7a from a 4 which was far superior in every way. Sound is very poor, no telephoto which I loved and update problems so bad only solution was to go on the Beta program. Massive disappointment.

Are the Ai features and Gemini two separate things?

I see there is a subscription fee for Gemini after the first year with these phones. £18 ish per month iirc.
That's only for the advanced 'pro' Gemini AI which I have no use for. The regular AI stuff is free.

Agreed, came to the 7a from a 4 which was far superior in every way. Sound is very poor, no telephoto which I loved and update problems so bad only solution was to go on the Beta program. Massive disappointment.
That's not surprising seeing as you had the pro version with the 4, but the 7a was specifically sold as the budget, feature stripped version of the 7.

With one Android upgrade and two years of security patches (several months after the fact). Not the same market segment, really. I may not keep my phone 7 years, but I certainly keep it for more than three.

Moto phones are fine for their price (though even Xiaomi has a better update policy - I'd take them in a heartbeat over Motorola), but it's not the same thing at all. And that's before we look at the camera.
OK the camera seems pretty good - but I'm super-lazy.
Perhaps one day I'll accidentally take a marketable shot...

A key issue I have is I don't seem to be able to accurately type on the thing

OK the camera seems pretty good - but I'm super-lazy.
Perhaps one day I'll accidentally take a marketable shot...

A key issue I have is I don't seem to be able to accurately type on the thing

Have you tried a different keyboard? I always install SwiftKey on my devices. It's owned by Microsoft now, but I've used it so many years...

It could be worth trying a couple of different ones and seeing if it helps.

That's not surprising seeing as you had the pro version with the 4, but the 7a was specifically as the budget, feature stripped version of the 7.
Stripped or not there's no excuse for its continuous failures to manage to update itself. Pixel 3a was excellent and rock solid with zero issues and I have it to this day as an emergency phone in the car.. Pixel 7 and 8 haven't got a great reputation either, suspect it all started to go wrong when Google went with their own 'Tensor' CPUs.

Small phone with telephoto and beautiful design made Pixel 4 great.

suspect it all started to go wrong when Google went with their own 'Tensor' CPUs
They're just Samsung CPUs with a bolt-on "AI" section. If it's a CPU issue, the Galaxy series would have it too. Though perhaps worth noting that the flagship Samsungs tend to still have Qualcomm in them.

That said, I've had exactly zero problems with my 7.

Stripped or not there's no excuse for its continuous failures to manage to update itself. Pixel 3a was excellent and rock solid with zero issues and I have it to this day as an emergency phone in the car.. Pixel 7 and 8 haven't got a great reputation either, suspect it all started to go wrong when Google went with their own 'Tensor' CPUs.

Small phone with telephoto and beautiful design made Pixel 4 great.
Like I said, my experience with the Pixel Pro 7 has been nothing but positive, Did you try contacting Google? The one issue I had with my photo was swiftly resolved when they sent over a new replacement,

Like I said, my experience with the Pixel Pro 7 has been nothing but positive, Did you try contacting Google? The one issue I had with my photo was swiftly resolved when they sent over a new replacement,
Bit late now as I've had it since release maybe. Worst issue is that however many factory resets I do it will not update since Android14 came out. Only workaround I've found since is to run the Android Beta Program which is Android 15 currently.

Phone must be spying on me! Just after I wrote the above it started installing system Update Android 15 (AP31-240617.015). Just a coincidence of course.

I'm sticking with the 8 pro until the Pixel 11 makes a debut. Previously held on to phones for a good couple of years. This was until the 7 came out. Bought it and then next year got the 8 pro. Too much money spent. Wont do this again.

I'm sticking with the 8 pro until the Pixel 11 makes a debut. Previously held on to phones for a good couple of years. This was until the 7 came out. Bought it and then next year got the 8 pro. Too much money spent. Wont do this again.

I don't think there's enough of a leap in tech to make frequent upgrades worthwhile.

Mind you I seem so unlucky with my phones its rare I hold on to them for longer then 3 years.

Back
Top Bottom