Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Google Pixel phones - news, updates

Have to say, that "trade in any phone for £125 off a Pixel 7" thing at Currys is very tempting. £375 is still more than I'd like to spend, but it's certainly better than any other £375 phones (that aren't used). You also get the wireless earbuds free from google after the fact.

Anyone want to try and convince me how great a Pixel 7 is?

Have to say, that "trade in any phone for £125 off a Pixel 7" thing at Currys is very tempting. £375 is still more than I'd like to spend, but it's certainly better than any other £375 phones (that aren't used). You also get the wireless earbuds free from google after the fact.

Just read the reviews! The camera is fantastic, call screening is brilliant, and all the other Google goodness makes this the best phone I've ever owned by a mile.

Reactions: Chz

Best phone I've ever had. Go on!

Alright, jeez. Peer pressure! :D
Ordered. But I am going to miss having an IR blaster and headphone jack. I can live without the former, but the latter still bugs me to no end. But I'll admit it's getting quite rare outside of low end phones for some reason.

Despite having full insurance on every phone I've ever owned I've always ended up sticking an ugly case on it. Well, this time I've decided to go for something thinner and more about protecting it from scratches than a major fall - after all, I'm covered for that.

So I can REALLY recommend the Ultimate Shield case. It makes the phone feel so much slicker - as soon as my nephew saw it he ordered one and dumped his chunky one. They also make the phone look really good too IMO

Pixel7Pro_O_5_1024x1024.jpg

Did you apply a screen protector too editor ?

I don't get any. Are you throwing your phone in your pocket with your keys or something?
No, I actively try and avoid putting it in a pocket with anything else at all, never mind keys or coins.

I do mean teeny, tiny scratches. Even so, they drive me fucking mental. I have one already (got the phone in October).

No, I actively try and avoid putting it in a pocket with anything else at all, never mind keys or coins.

I do mean teeny, tiny scratches. Even so, they drive me fucking mental. I have one already (got the phone in October).
I just looked at my old Huawei P30 Pro which I had for three years or so without a screen protector, Not a scratch*

*although I'm probably tempting fate now and will wake up with a massive scratch on my Pixel in the morning!

No, I stopped using them years ago. Waste of money IMO. And I'm paying for insurance anyway.

I've lost count of the number of screen protectors I've put on my partners phone, they usually last a week before I notice a crack in them :facepalm:

Just changed it this morning so I'll see how long that lasts.

This is my screen protector...

2066B257-7EED-4D4D-85D1-DE776A0F185E.jpeg
Nothing is scratching my screen when that's closed and in my pocket.

Fairly pleased with the 7, but a few things irk me. Beyond the whole headphone jack malarky that every other single phone I looked at suffers from too. Please note that none of these are major faults, they're just things that annoyed me in the first 24 hours.

Why are we not allowed to have a quick setting button for NFC? Yes, I know it's paranoia to turn it off when you've already got "only when the screen is unlocked" ticked, but it's my paranoia and I like it that way. More of an Android gripe, but some other phones do provide it.

I'm hoping the battery life improves after a few cycles. At the moment it drinks like Father Jack, especially compared to its predecessor Honor V20 with a same sized screen and smaller battery. I do expect it will get a bit better after a week, the question is how much.

That whole in-screen fingerprint thing. What a waste of technology. It's not awful, but they really should have left it alone until it works as well as the physical sensors. It most definitely does not, yet. I'm all for Sony and Xiaomi's sensor on the power button thing.

That bloody notification space at the top of the home screen ("At A Glance") you can't get rid of. FFS. At least divvy up the space such that I can go to calendar or clock. As it is, I need to put a clock somewhere to have a shortcut to alarms and this thing takes up the entire top third of the home page.

Beyond that, I mainly upgraded to get updates again. My old phone suffered from Huawei spinning off Honor and them deciding to cut short support on most of their legacy devices. I hadn't had an update since Autumn 2021. (so just shy of 3 years, which is poor) So the improvements are nice, but nothing that I was screaming out for. Good camera though.

So, six months in, my phone developed an annoying fault where the screen would flash green and then turn on. The phone was still on but only a reboot would being the screen back to life.
Contacted Google and they tried to fob me off with a repair (with a replacement phone sent over while it was away) but I really didn't fancy reinstalling everything twice over so insisted that they send me straight replacement. Which to be fair, they did.

If you do get the flashing screen, turning off the AOD temporarily fixed it for me, btw.

So, six months in, my phone developed an annoying fault where the screen would flash green and then turn on. The phone was still on but only a reboot would being the screen back to life.
Contacted Google and they tried to fob me off with a repair (with a replacement phone sent over while it was away) but I really didn't fancy reinstalling everything twice over so insisted that they send me straight replacement. Which to be fair, they did.

If you do get the flashing screen, turning off the AOD temporarily fixed it for me, btw.
Pixel watch is doing my head in. I keep getting notifications, several a day which state I have a new voicemail. I have even turned voicemail off. So it is either an issue with the watch or an issue with 1p mobile. To be fair, I put in a support request with Google and an actual human called me back within two minutes. That is impressive even though the issue is not resolved yet.

Pixel watch is doing my head in. I keep getting notifications, several a day which state I have a new voicemail. I have even turned voicemail off. So it is either an issue with the watch or an issue with 1p mobile. To be fair, I put in a support request with Google and an actual human called me back within two minutes. That is impressive even though the issue is not resolved yet.

Interesting, every time I restart my pixel 6 it shows the voicemail icon at the top. I never have one.

Fairly pleased with the 7, but a few things irk me. Beyond the whole headphone jack malarky that every other single phone I looked at suffers from too. Please note that none of these are major faults, they're just things that annoyed me in the first 24 hours.

Why are we not allowed to have a quick setting button for NFC? Yes, I know it's paranoia to turn it off when you've already got "only when the screen is unlocked" ticked, but it's my paranoia and I like it that way. More of an Android gripe, but some other phones do provide it.

I'm hoping the battery life improves after a few cycles. At the moment it drinks like Father Jack, especially compared to its predecessor Honor V20 with a same sized screen and smaller battery. I do expect it will get a bit better after a week, the question is how much.

That whole in-screen fingerprint thing. What a waste of technology. It's not awful, but they really should have left it alone until it works as well as the physical sensors. It most definitely does not, yet. I'm all for Sony and Xiaomi's sensor on the power button thing.

That bloody notification space at the top of the home screen ("At A Glance") you can't get rid of. FFS. At least divvy up the space such that I can go to calendar or clock. As it is, I need to put a clock somewhere to have a shortcut to alarms and this thing takes up the entire top third of the home page.

Beyond that, I mainly upgraded to get updates again. My old phone suffered from Huawei spinning off Honor and them deciding to cut short support on most of their legacy devices. I hadn't had an update since Autumn 2021. (so just shy of 3 years, which is poor) So the improvements are nice, but nothing that I was screaming out for. Good camera though.

NFC - I leave it on but also have the 'unlock required to use NFC' setting on

Battery - I'm getting 1.2 to 1.5 days unless I hammer it (Pixel 7 pro)

Fingerprint - meh

Notification space - You can turn off At A Glance by holding it/long press, then press on the 'customise' pop-up that appears, in the settings that appear next, At A Glance is near the top, don't press on the cog to customise it, press on the word ON that appears under At a Glance - this turns it off completely. You're welcome.

I am going to be controversial here and say that the Samsung Galaxy S23 and S23+ are better mobile phones than the Pixel 7 Pro. This is due to build quality, reliability and bugs. The Pixel 7 Pro tends to run a bit hot easily. Samsung holds on to signal better.

I am going to be controversial here and say that the Samsung Galaxy S23 and S23+ are better mobile phones than the Pixel 7 Pro. This is due to build quality, reliability and bugs. The Pixel 7 Pro tends to run a bit hot easily. Samsung holds on to signal better.

I don't remember mine ever running hot.

Mine does run hot on occasion. Tends to be when it is getting hammered or is in constant use, though. It isn't running hot as a matter of course or under general use patterns. It's always hot when I get out of the car as the first thing I do usually is hook it up to Android Auto and have maps and a podcast/Spotify running for any journey over 15 minutes-ish.

It occasionally runs hot in the hand if I have been using it for ages. But it's in a case, it's in my hand for let's say 20 minutes running YouTube or news vidz. I'd expect it to warm up tbh. This said, I've never had a too hot or overheating warning.

Samsung flagships are very well built, I agree, but this pixel 7 pro feels well built too.

Anyone compred the 7a camera to the 6a. I in principle don't like buying an older model, but £150 difference. 🤔

Picked one up at lunchtime... the camera is on first appearences definitely better than my defunct Moto G9 Plus.. Just adjusting to the slightly smaller screen that is the trade off.

The 'magic eraser' function is pretty good as well... used it to remove stuff on screen here.

1691774789580.png

Picked one up at lunchtime... the camera is on first appearences definitely better than my defunct Moto G9 Plus.. Just adjusting to the slightly smaller screen that is the trade off.

The 'magic eraser' function is pretty good as well... used it to remove stuff on screen here.

Which did you get - the 6a?

I'm very meh about the Pixel 7 Pro fingerprint jobby. I previously had a Pixel 5 and the fingerprint thing was perfectly placed, made using the phone easy. Muscle memory will take over, and I won't notice that in a few months I'll have forgotten about any mehness I'm feeling now.

Back
Top Bottom