Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Google Pixel phones - news, updates

Cheers wtfftw editor - unbelievably, I haven't taken a photo yet as I've been veh busy at work and when outdoors it has been pissing it down since last weekend. Off to Greece on Sunday, though, so I'll give it a workout there.

Cheers wtfftw editor - unbelievably, I haven't taken a photo yet as I've been veh busy at work and when outdoors it has been pissing it down since last weekend. Off to Greece on Sunday, though, so I'll give it a workout there.
I'm going on my first holiday for at least 4 years soon, and this will be the first time I've decided that the phone camera will be good enough.

Mine was quite buggy when I got it but it seems to have settled down after a few updates. The battery life is deffo not the best and the charging is not as fast as I have had before but I get a full day out of it with moderate use. Plus it is still fairly quick to put a few hours worth of charge to top it up.

Other than that, it rocks.

Walked into local Carphone Currys this morning, traded in my 3yr old Samsung for £220 against a Pro. Left within 15 minutes. All good. I can claim the watch later. What's the watch like editor ?

I went for the Obsidian 256gb Pro on a contract which will see me paying just over the cost of the 256gb 7. I'll probably sell the pixel watch and knock that off the cost too. Unless I love it, in which case I'll sell my Ticwatch 3 Pro.
the watch seems to be getting very average/poor reviews

the watch seems to be getting very average/poor reviews
Aye, seen a few 3/5s.

Unless it is markedly better than my TicWatch it's going on eBay towards Christmas when they've issued a few updates to improve any known problems from the reviews.

Last edited:
Walked into local Carphone Currys this morning, traded in my 3yr old Samsung for £220 against a Pro. Left within 15 minutes. All good. I can claim the watch later. What's the watch like editor ?

I went for the Obsidian 256gb Pro on a contract which will see me paying just over the cost of the 256gb 7. I'll probably sell the pixel watch and knock that off the cost too. Unless I love it, in which case I'll sell my Ticwatch 3 Pro.

I'm pretty pleased with the watch and since it cost me fuck all, it's a bloody bargain! Battery life is way better than some reviews suggested and it's simply miles better than my last Wear OS watch (The Fossil 4). And of course, it's going to get better over time as Google as more features/refine it. I like the fact that its so light on my wrist too - so much so that sometimes I have to check I've got it on!

Overall, this is an excellent smartwatch built on a world-class platform. It's also slightly more affordable than some rivals, and it feels like a true competitor for the best Apple has to offer. If Google can fix the back, rejigger the band and add a slightly larger battery, the Pixel Watch could be unbeatable.

Aye, seen a few 3/5s.

Unless it is markedly better than my TicWatch it's going on eBay towards Christmas when they've issued a few updates to improve any known problems from the reviews.
it looks pretty (if you ignore the massive bezel) , but inaccurate GPS & poor battery let it down. it tells the time well though!

This review pretty much sums up my excoerience

When you wait so long for something, it becomes harder for it to live up to expectations. However, the Google Pixel Watch has gone beyond mine in many ways.

It really is the only smartwatch I would consider wearing beyond the review period and this largely comes down to its beautiful design. Not only does it look and feel great, with its own personality, but it’s also compact, light and comfortable, too.

The build quality is also exceptional so all of this combined makes it very desirable indeed. It is packed with loads of great tech and works brilliantly well thanks to the combination of intuitive Wear OS 3.5, a digital crown and dazzling screen.

Sadly, Google hasn’t nailed it in every department with unpredictable battery life, restrictions when it comes to charging and, most odd of all, lacking proper automatic workout detection which you’ll find on other Fitbits.

I can forgive most of this for my personal usage, especially when most rivals can’t go much longer in the battery life department. But I’d also understand if you feel like waiting for the Pixel Watch 2.

As someone who's had a bit of a heart scare recently, having a heartbeat monitor update every second is wonderful for checking what's going on.

A decent review here too:

I find this comment bizarre:
From the curved glass to the digital crown, Google isn’t shy that it took its design cues for the Pixel Watch from Apple. I

It looks nothing like the Apple Watch. It's a different bloody shape for starters!

Last edited:
The Pixel feature of automatically recognising and listing tracks it hears (without using internet connectivity) has proved to be far more fun that I expected. It's essentially providing the soundtrack to my holiday, with each bar and cafe contributing their own vibe. Love it!

Happy to report that the Pixel watch's battery is definitely improving over time. I charged it before I went to bed last night around 2.30am, had the always on display since I woke up, checked the weather, heartbeat and ECG, quite as few notifications and used a few 'OK Google commands and the battery is still at 74%.

I've not heard about mine yet steveseagull - my claim has been processed/accepted, though. :thumbs:

I'll sell it unless I love it more than my Ticwatch Pro 3. The plan was to get a Pixel Pro cheap by selling the watch and taking advantage of Currys mad trade-in deal.

Good to hear that the updates are improving the device editor

I've not heard about mine yet steveseagull - my claim has been processed/accepted, though. :thumbs:

I'll sell it unless I love it more than my Ticwatch Pro 3. The plan was to get a Pixel Pro cheap by selling the watch and taking advantage of Currys mad trade-in deal.

Good to hear that the updates are improving the device editor
I'm pretty sure you'll find it a huge improvement over the Ticwatch!
The health data (exercise, heart, ECG etc) that the watch delivers is incredible.

Hope so / We'll see

in other news...

Info here

Got my text earlier today. It's on its way.
Mine has just arrived. Was showing on yodel's site as penned in for delivery tomorrow so a day earlier.

Question for anyone, if for example I used it to get a TFL bus somewhere, but when I come back the battery is dead and I use my phone to pay for the return journey, is that OK or will it screw my daily travel cap up?

Yeah. FFS. :D

It seems to charge pretty quick too.

It was on thirty something % when I went for a shower, not a quick one admittedly, but it was on ninety something five minutes ago and is on 98% now, and it was doing an update. :thumbs:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom