Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Google Pixel phones - news, updates

Have been getting slightly frustrated with no camera shortcut on lock screen so Googled. Turns out double press power button does it. Will take a while to get used to, but will be better when wearing gloves or it's in a waterproof case.

I'm thinking of going Pixel6.

• EE contract ending next month
  • A cashback deal with ID mobile means that I'd pay £616 over 24 months for the phone and an unlimited phone/sms + 200gb data :eek: for a £600 phone!
ID is Three in disguise/reseller innit. Their signal here is better than EE which I'm currently with.

How's the phone compared to a Samsung? Anyone know? I use Nova Launcher rather than OneUI on Samsungs but 'naked'ish Android on a Pixel appeals. Used to like the near-naked Android experience on Motorola phones in the past.

My phone is an A71 - comparison between the two here

5G is v.limited where I am so that isn't much of a pull for me. I'd miss the 3.5m jack for headphones but have Btooth buds and headphones anyway.

How are you finding the battery life UnderAnOpenSky ?? Noticeably worse than the A71's according to GSM arena.

Also, surprised the phone is heavier as it is smaller than the A71 too.

Some good deals on the 6 at the moment with the (lower specced) 6A due out imminently at £399.

How is the 6 holding up people? Still 'worth it'??

Specification comparison of the two available here: Compare Google Pixel 6 vs. Google Pixel 6a - GSMArena.com

It's a decent phone. Nothing remarkable about it, but I don't know what I'd need to make a modern phone feel special. It doesn't feel that much better then my old P30, but certainly no worse (apart from being heavier). It won out for me as being the cheapest "premium" smartphone.

The Guardian is very, very impressed with the new Pixel 6a:

Google is on a roll. After years of good but not great phones, the Pixel 6a is another excellent model bringing the Android-maker’s magic down to a more affordable price.

It uses the same recipe that makes Apple’s iPhone SE so good: a mid-range phone with the company’s top chip. That makes the 6a faster than almost any other phone priced at £399 and gives it access to the same features as Google’s flagship phones. The battery life is very good for a smaller phone too.

The software is smart and refined, and will be updated for at least five years, which is longer than most rivals. The camera is miles better than any mid-range model, competing with phones twice the price or more.

While the back is less premium, plastic not glass, and screen is not as slick as rivals, it still looks great. The smaller size makes it easier to hold too.

The Pixel 6a is the best mid-range phone you can buy and a fantastic option if you’re looking for a smaller Android.

Pros: brilliant camera, good smaller screen, top performance, good battery life, recycled aluminium, five years of security updates, Android 12, smart software features, competitively priced.
Cons: fairly slow charging, no optical zoom, no macro photo mode, no face unlock option, screen only 60Hz.

Some good deals on the 6 at the moment with the (lower specced) 6A due out imminently at £399.

How is the 6 holding up people? Still 'worth it'??

Specification comparison of the two available here: Compare Google Pixel 6 vs. Google Pixel 6a - GSMArena.com
6's have had a lot of bugs apparently. I need a new phone right now so if it came down in price a lot when the 6a comes out, I may be tempted. Although I may just wait and see what happens with the 7 which is apparently coming in the Autumn.

Pixel 7 first unboxing now on youtube. Unboxed in Bangladesh of all places.

I also really wish google would do a pixel in red colour like apple.

Is it out or is this a pre release model?

I thought the launch was October. I could be wrong, of course.

Launch is in October. But I want to get the case before I order it. But I'm going to wait till closer to October. I think more better cases will be on sale closer to the release date. I do need a new phone as Pixel 3 no longer gets security updates and I aint comfortable using banking apps without security updates

Launch is in October. But I want to get the case before I order it. But I'm going to wait till closer to October. I think more better cases will be on sale closer to the release date. I do need a new phone as Pixel 3 no longer gets security updates and I aint comfortable using banking apps without security updates
Ah right.

Yes, I read about the 3's getting their last security updates this or last week. Good time to move on as you say.

It's not like delivery takes long for a case? I normally order one when I get the phone and when it's out there will be a much better selection.

I'm getting slightly tempted by the upcoming Pixel 7.

My Huawei P30 still works absolutely fine - the battery life and camera are still bloody amazing - but annoyingly some things won't work with it - like the Samsung smartwatches. Which is irritating,
CEX will give you £100 or more for that model if you wanted to trade it in.

I'm awaiting for my Pixel 6a at the end of the month (I'll buy it when i get paid) the reviews online are very good.

i was going to do a trade in for my pixel 3xl but i like to keep a spare phone just in case the main one get damaged. Came in handy when the pixel 4 broke and I reverted back to pixel 3 xl

Well, its been shipped. I'm going to return it. I ordered with paypal credit, but realised last night if I dont pay the full amount in 4 months, they will charge interest. fuck that. Tried ordering the pro, got approved by klarna but the first payment wont go through. called klarna and they arent sure why and informed me to contact experian to check as some details with experian might be different and to get a screenshot from experian. fuck that I thought. So will just wait for reviews and order it elsewhere on a payment plan.

Back
Top Bottom