Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Google Pixel phones - news, updates

Thinner, lighter, faster, better camera, more expensive. There doesn't seem much more they can do right now.

face id no doubt, will be good if they keep the fingerprint too, which i think they will.

After the big leaps in camera tech last year, the next gen really needs a good software enhancement now! Think we're about to enter another 2-3 years of minor updates and slow downs as people won't be willing to spend hundreds, scrub that, nearly a thousand on a top tier handheld for minor improvements.

This is when the cheaper handsets get to catch up as they can afford to put better tech in their phones for less and the people who like to buy cheaper phones every 1-2 years get more bang for their buck. Certainly going to start seeing dual lens cameras on cheaper phones this year.

Last edited:
face id no doubt, will be good if they keep the fingerprint too, which i think they will.

After the big leaps in camera tech last year, the next gen really needs a good software enhancement now! Think we're about to enter another 2-3 years of minor updates and slow downs as people won't be willing to spend hundreds, scrub that, nearly a thousand on a top tier handheld for minor improvements.

This is when the cheaper handsets get to catch up as they can afford to put better tech in their phones for less and the people who like to buy cheaper phones every 1-2 years get more bang for their buck. Certainly going to start seeing dual lens cameras on cheaper phones this year.
If it's removed the headphone jack and has no wireless charging, I'm out.

So I've been playing with it for a couple of hours and first impressions are overall pretty good. It's very light but feels solid and well built. It's smaller than my previous phone (LG V30) but has pretty much the same size screen, which is gorgeous, 90hz really makes a difference to the perceived speed of the device. Moving everything across was painless and seems to have got a lot of configurations for apps too so don't even need to sign into some things. The only thing I am disappointed in are the speakers which although they claim to be stereo there is a definite bias towards the bottom of the phone which is a bugger for me as I wanted to use it to watch things and the single speaker of the V30 really annoyed me.

It goes without saying that the camera is obviously amazing, the wide angle is great and produces very nice pictures with very little fisheye effect on the edges. The fingerprint reader on the back is very fast and sensitive, you only need to touch the sensor and the phone is ready.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with my choice, especially after seeing apples offerings.

So I've been playing with it for a couple of hours and first impressions are overall pretty good. It's very light but feels solid and well built. It's smaller than my previous phone (LG V30) but has pretty much the same size screen, which is gorgeous, 90hz really makes a difference to the perceived speed of the device. Moving everything across was painless and seems to have got a lot of configurations for apps too so don't even need to sign into some things. The only thing I am disappointed in are the speakers which although they claim to be stereo there is a definite bias towards the bottom of the phone which is a bugger for me as I wanted to use it to watch things and the single speaker of the V30 really annoyed me.

It goes without saying that the camera is obviously amazing, the wide angle is great and produces very nice pictures with very little fisheye effect on the edges. The fingerprint reader on the back is very fast and sensitive, you only need to touch the sensor and the phone is ready.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with my choice, especially after seeing apples offerings.
How much did it cost ya'?

Bought it from the google store, £599 plus I got the case as well. They have an interest free over 2 years option which is £26 p/m. With my sim only plan running at about a tenner (for 10 GB) it works out a bit cheaper than a contract.

I really really want to upgrade to a Pixel 5 but didn't make up my mind in time to pre-order and now every time I check the google store it's showing as Out of Stock :mad: My old Pixel 2 XL is only hanging on by a thread and keeps randomly powering down and I'm worried that it's going to expire before I can get a replacement.

Also Android 12 is available for Pixel 3 phones and upwards. Prices of each device looking like they won't be too crazy.

Mine is installed - I am missing swiping up to get to often used apps not on home screen. Can achieve the same result by pressing search bar but would like the old way to work too.

Mine is installed - I am missing swiping up to get to often used apps not on home screen. Can achieve the same result by pressing search bar but would like the old way to work too.

I seem to still be able to do that.

Don't like the new clock and everything seems massive now. Notifications seem huge!

I used to swipe up an get a tray of apps to select. This has gone and I get my last used app. I can't complain I chose this upgrade :)

I seem to still be able to do that.

Don't like the new clock and everything seems massive now. Notifications seem huge!
Worked this out. You swipe from the middle of the screen to get there.

I've messed up the quoting this is in ref to accessing recently used apps

annoying thing about andriod 12 is when you get text or email notification at the top of the screen and drag down to read it, it shows the internet/bluetooth gpay options too. this never happened before

As I'm having GPS issues with my P30 I'm thinking about Pixel 6. Has anyone got one? I don't need top spec performance from the chip, but I do like OLED screen and really good camera and it seems to tick the bill.

I was actually up for buying it outright, but the deals on Vodaphone are so good it actually seems to make sense to take a contract.

Have you tried all these? You've probably got a better camera with the P30!

Really? I'd assumed that because it's well reviewed for camera and it's almost three years newer it would at least be a little better! FWIW I hardly ever use zoom, even though I know the P30 one is supposed to be great.

Thanks for the link. It's a hell of a list. Amazingly I've tried most of them, just done a network reset though. Not tried in safe mode, not sure how helpful that would be as I need an app to test it properly. Also hard to diagnose intermittent stuff, although 4 days hill walking in Scotland should definitely let me know either way.

I see there is a pretty good sale on the OnePlus 9 Pro, which makes it a similar price to the Pixel 6, but it's a bit bigger then I'd like and I don't really like curved screens.

Really? I'd assumed that because it's well reviewed for camera and it's almost three years newer it would at least be a little better! FWIW I hardly ever use zoom, even though I know the P30 one is supposed to be great.

Thanks for the link. It's a hell of a list. Amazingly I've tried most of them, just done a network reset though. Not tried in safe mode, not sure how helpful that would be as I need an app to test it properly. Also hard to diagnose intermittent stuff, although 4 days hill walking in Scotland should definitely let me know either way.

I see there is a pretty good sale on the OnePlus 9 Pro, which makes it a similar price to the Pixel 6, but it's a bit bigger then I'd like and I don't really like curved screens.
To be honest, I'd kind of like to have an excuse to update my P30 Pro but it still takes fantastic photos that seem as good as the latest top of the line models (or pretty damn close).

To be honest, I'd kind of like to have an excuse to update my P30 Pro but it still takes fantastic photos that seem as good sad the latest top of the line models (or pretty damn close).

Yes. I guess I feel the same, never had a phone age some so well got some great photos on holiday recently. The battery is showing it's age after 3 years, but I still get all day out of it. It's fast enough for day to day use. I'd quite like 5g, but tbh 4g with EE was blinding, slightly regret switching to 3, but EE didn't even try to be competitive for sim only contracts.

So I'll just have to see how the GPS works in Scotland before going shopping. My OH doesn't use GPS that much and her Honor is even older then mine (and was a lot cheaper) and it shows, so it won't go in the bin that's for sure.

I've been using the Pixel 6 for about 3 days now. It's a pretty nice phone and does feel like a small upgrade from the P30. Not had a chance to properly use the camera, but I'm out in the Peak District tomorrow, so will try then. The screen is a bit bigger and a fair bit nicer, but one thing that does strike me is the phone is noticeably heavier. Not the end of the world, but it surprised me. Think the fingerprint sensor is a bit better.

I'm glad I switched from 3 to Vodaphone, definitely better, although I've not yet done a speed test to show Vodaphone's 5g to be as fast as EEs 4g. Sadly I couldn't find any good deals on EE, but Vodaphone is good enough.

Back
Top Bottom