Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Google Pixel phones - news, updates

That the headphone jack is the most amazing thing ever and is why Android phones will reign supreme for years to come?
Nope, never ever said anything remotely like that. Why are you trying to pick a daft fight? I do think it is fucking annoying to have a phone without a headphone socket though, and it's a backward step in usability for most consumers who like to charge and listen to music at the same time.

but at least they have justified it by stating that it's to ensure the phone is waterproof.
Nope, as the below messages point out...
weird as my waterproof Sony has a headphone jack...
S8 is waterproof too, with headphone jack :hmm:
Also, HTC (who made the Pixel) have their own devices which are waterproof and have headphone jacks. It's bullshit cost cutting/differential/whatever.
Nexus phones are usually underwhelming in the face of Samsung's best product and this is no exception.
This is not a Nexus phone.
Some fundamental bits of the stock Android experience are really poor, like taking your phone on/off silent.

iPhone: switch on the side

Samsung: three-phase ringer/vibrate/silent control in the top bar there by default

Android: No top bar control for this as such. Instead we have Do Not Disturb, which has its own configuration and implications beyond just sound. You can use the volume buttons to move between vibrate and sounds instead except you'll then have to set your ringer volume manually each time and bleeuuughhhh...

Give me TouchWiz every time!
Funny that, because it's one of the most complained about 'features' of iOS/iPhones on the Apple forums I read.

See this recent Reddit thread:

Also, someone posted this 'relevant' XKCD but I don't get it? xkcd: Ringer Volume/Media Volume

This is not a Nexus phone.
Meh, it's the same thing, you know what I mean. Revolving-door contract manufactured phones with vanilla Android. They're rarely brilliant, and not surprisingly so.

Also, someone posted this 'relevant' XKCD but I don't get it? xkcd: Ringer Volume/Media Volume
On Android, using the hardware volume controls, you can only set the media volume (YouTube and the like) once the media content begins playing. Before that it sets the ringer volume instead.

Meh, it's the same thing, you know what I mean. Revolving-door contract manufactured phones with vanilla Android. They're rarely brilliant, and not surprisingly so.
Ish. They've replaced Nexus phones, but they're very different things. I know you know all the following, but anyway..

Nexus phones were 'dev phones', which were meant to be the reference model for the next version of Android. They were never meant to be aimed at the general public, and that's why they sometimes lagged behind in grunt or camera quality. They were also cheap, which helped the devs so that Google could get more apps in the app store, when the iOS/Android wars were still being fought on things like number of apps.

Mostly, they were great all round devices, though. The Nexus One, S and 4 and 5 have been some of the best Android phones ever.

They were not meant to compete with the iPhone.

Pixels are definitely consumer facing, and they're a direct competitor iPhones. Or, that's the plan. And the price and marketing and specs reflects that.

Customer service is reportedly better now, too, whereas if you had a Nexus phone you were basically on your own. But that didn't matter much because they were so cheap, and it was mostly devs and nerds buying them anyway who generally require less support.

On Android, using the hardware volume controls, you can only set the media volume (YouTube and the like) once the media content begins playing. Before that it sets the ringer volume instead.[/QUOTE]
Gocha. It's a dig at Android rather than iOS :facepalm:

By the end of 'Nexus' devices, like the 5X and 6P, they were already consumer-oriented. Certainly it's been a journey towards that point, and the Pixel line represents something close to the end of it (although they are still relevant to devs in terms of accessing new software on real devices early enough). Google are still pretty rubbish at individual retail consumer relationships too.

But there is at least one reason these aren't great phones: contract manufacturing is self-limiting. HTC or whoever else isn't ever going to be in any rush to eclipse their own branded top-of-the-line products. Fine if you want a dependable midrange phone, less so if you want something exciting and competitive. Nor is there a consistent experience across iterations of hardware, unlike buying into Apple or Samsung product families, because the contract is revolving, presumably to spread the wealth amongst the Android manufacturing ecosystem.

Any differentiators are largely left to the software, but that's flawed too because availability to branded devices has much improved of late.

Fez909 The waterproof thing is definitely suspicious. I was merely lauding Google for attempting to justify it as opposed to Apple's stance of 'this is how it is, fuck all of you cunts' :D

On Android, using the hardware volume controls, you can only set the media volume (YouTube and the like) once the media content begins playing. Before that it sets the ringer volume instead.

Not on my Nexus 6p, there's a drop down menu to choose between ringer, media and alarm volume :)

or is there a consistent experience across iterations of hardware, unlike buying into Apple or Samsung product families, because the contract is revolving, presumably to spread the wealth amongst the Android manufacturing ecosystem.
Is that true?

When it was a Nexus, fair enough, But now it's a Pixel, which is Google designed - not just endorsed - then surely it's going to be consistent? HTC made the Pixel 1 and Pixel XL. They've also made the Pixel 2 but the Pixel 2 XL is manufactured by LG. If I didn't know that (and I didn't until just Googling now), I'd think they were made by the same people (the XLs).

Is that true?

When it was a Nexus, fair enough, But now it's a Pixel, which is Google designed - not just endorsed - then surely it's going to be consistent? HTC made the Pixel 1 and Pixel XL. They've also made the Pixel 2 but the Pixel 2 XL is manufactured by LG. If I didn't know that (and I didn't until just Googling now), I'd think they were made by the same people (the XLs).
If we limit this to the Pixel range, there's not enough evidence yet to say either way. Don't forget the Pixel C too - not sure who actually made that.

If we limit this to the Pixel range, there's not enough evidence yet to say either way. Don't forget the Pixel C too - not sure who actually made that.
Google made it themselves, apparently. Which I find hard to believe?

Either way, we have 9 Pixel devices so far. 2 tablets, 3 Chromebooks and 4 phones. Manufacturers are Google, HTC and LG. And so far, there's no inconsistent experience between them, so I don't think you can criticise them for that...yet.

Google Pixel 2 reviewed: Sets new record for overall smartphone camera quality - DxOMark

Impressive for a single lens. New highest score, topping the iPhone 8 Plus and Samsung Galaxy Note 8 which had scores of 94.

Seems cameras really seem to be where the competitive nature of these phones are going.
Bloody hell

ref1_Bokeh-Indoor_GooglePixel2-e1506967768712.jpg

Nexus phones were 'dev phones', which were meant to be the reference model for the next version of Android. They were never meant to be aimed at the general public, and that's why they sometimes lagged behind in grunt or camera quality. They were also cheap, which helped the devs so that Google could get more apps in the app store, when the iOS/Android wars were still being fought on things like number of apps.

I know what you mean, but I dont agree. Yes they were in part reference models for the upcoming version of Android, so there was an obvious appeal for devs looking to get the new OS asap without having to wait for manufacturers to maybe offer an android update, and avoiding added bloatware. But they were marketed at consumers too and they didnt always lag behind in terms of grunt & other features. I had the Galaxy Nexus and it was certainly marketed as a higher end consumer smartphone.

Googles lack of commitment to keep releasing new versions of android for nexus devices once they were a couple of years old is one of the reasons I ditched google and never looked back.

Tempted by the Pixel one XL for £400. Would hope to get £50 for my 5X. Decisions.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom