Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Coronavirus (COVID-19) chat

There is a ruddy great sign at the Canning Town end of Barking Road warning people that they are entering a very high risk COVID area :eek:

Yeah, I wasn't too impressed with where I went for my vaccination. Individual chairs spaced about 6 feet apart, and everyone was wearing masks - don't know if it was mandatory or if no-one was daft enough to try to claim an exemption - but it was quite a small room. And it was so warm that I literally could not see the form I was filling in because my glasses were entirely steamed up. My handwriting's fucked as it is, but this was ridiculous. With some context I was able to work out what to write where, but I went over the lines and the nurse couldn't read my birthdate.

And there were two of us being vaccinated in the same room. My blood tests have gone down to one in a room, and I thought this'd be the same.

Then, when leaving, it was via the fire exit, which is better than via the one fairly narrow entrance, but involved a sharp corner. Two people bumped into me, physically I mean, having just bumped into one another - they were mumbling apologies to each other and then apologising to me while I also apologised to them. I think they were going the wrong way, but there were no arrows or directions, so it's not surprising. We were all trying so hard not to touch each other again while getting past each other that we ricocheted like pinballs against the walls. :facepalm: It was almost comical.
I don't get why they don't use places like little non-league football ground near us where you're basically outdoors but sheltered from rain. People could wait in seats on the terraces, be vaccinated in individual tents on the pitch. There must be so many sites like this around the country and within easy reach of lots of people

Just seen this post of mine from yesterday again**, without any comment from me even :oops:
I have to say that I'm struggling to remember why I re-posted zahir 's link -- apologies :oops:

**(#2,878, towards the foot of previous page of thread)

the spanish flu killed 228,000 people in the uk. i expect the johnson virus to account for at least as many - and we're more than halfway there.

Just seen this post of mine from yesterday again**, without any comment from me even :oops:
I have to say that I'm struggling to remember why I re-posted zahir 's link -- apologies :oops:

**(#2,878, towards the foot of previous page of thread)
never apologise, never explain

obvs it's easier when you've forgotten as you can't explain

but you shouldn't in future let on you've forgotten

What’s the prognosis like for someone still experiencing breathlessness a month after contracting covid, and nearly three weeks after shaking off the other symptoms? Is this kind of long lasting breathlessness normal or does it mean there’s permanent damage?

Not me, but a family member of mine.

What’s the prognosis like for someone still experiencing breathlessness a month after contracting covid, and nearly three weeks after shaking off the other symptoms? Is this kind of long lasting breathlessness normal or does it mean there’s permanent damage?

Precise prognosis is difficult to say at the moment as there simply isn’t enough data, and largely impossible over the internet with just the information given (or at all), but an anecdote might help: a work colleague of mine was similar, she was still breathless enough to have to be taken into hospital overnight over a month after the disease started, and long after all the other symptoms (fever, aches, fatigue etc) had gone. It took her maybe another 3 months to be completely back to normal, but she is now. So there’s one possible prognosis.

Precise prognosis is difficult to say at the moment as there simply isn’t enough data, and largely impossible over the internet with just the information given (or at all), but an anecdote might help: a work colleague of mine was similar, she was still breathless enough to have to be taken into hospital overnight over a month after the disease started, and long after all the other symptoms (fever, aches, fatigue etc) had gone. It took her maybe another 3 months to be completely back to normal, but she is now. So there’s one possible prognosis.
Good to know, thanks.

I can't speak for anyone else but I had episodes of breathlessness for 3 or 4 months and then an unexpected night or two of breathlessness in December. Since then I've been OK though I'm not sure I'm quite back to normal.

Has your family member had a chest x-ray? This ought to show if there's any sign of scarring on the lungs - there was no sign of scarring on mine.

I can't speak for anyone else but I had episodes of breathlessness for 3 or 4 months and then an unexpected night or two of breathlessness in December. Since then I've been OK though I'm not sure I'm quite back to normal.

Has your family member had a chest x-ray? This ought to show if there's any sign of scarring on the lungs - there was no sign of scarring on mine.

I don’t think so. Maybe a bit too soon to be getting worried over it, but just making some discreet enquires for my own peace of mind.

Our neighbour is out of heavy coma and ventilation and into lighter version of both - gsv spoke to his wife this morning. She's just having to wait around to for calls to say if there's been any change in his condition as, for obvious reasons the hospital says they can't really take calls from the next of kin; it must be torturous for her. :( I am glad things have improved though and that hopefully they made the right call for treatment, I know medics are getting much better this time round in handling when and who to ventilate.

Could be in several threads, these questions :oops:, but ......

1, How much is really known yet about how much or not the vaccines currently in use prevent/restrict transmission of 'the' virus?

2. To what extent is it actually known yet how effective (and how easy to do) adapting the vaccines will work?

Also ......

My impression right now is that there's exceptionally recently renewed talk of 'herd immunity' :confused:

4. But!! How much has 'herd immunity' really been proposed as a realistic thing? And I don't mean back in last Spring. I now ask the question about 'herd immunity' being talked of after vaccines have been approved and used?? :confused:

5. Oh, yes, and one last one : Why on earth is a (possible) prospect of people having to be anti-Covid vaccinated annually, with variant versions of the jab each Autumn or Winter, still being talked of as a problem**?

**That would be no problem at all IMO, if the vaccines really can be adapted to work well ..... :cool: ... see question 2. above ....

Last edited:
4. But!! How much has 'herd immunity' really been proposed as a realistic thing? And I don't mean back in last Spring. I now ask the question about 'herd immunity' being talked of after vaccines have been approved and used?? :confused:
I've not heard it being talked about particularly. But isn't it just a fact that once we've reached a particular level of immunisation, herd immunity becomes a factor in whether or not the disease is able to carry on spreading? So it's not so much a strategy as a natural stage in the process.

I've not heard it being talked about particularly. But isn't it just a fact that once we've reached a particular level of immunisation, herd immunity becomes a factor in whether or not the disease is able to carry on spreading? So it's not so much a strategy as a natural stage in the process.
Yes, herd immunity by having a critical mass of vaccinated people is different to the so called "herd immunity" that was touted early on and which was a case of "let the virus rip through the population and may the strongest survive" which is what my mum reckons should have been done. I actually had to put the phone down on her the other day due to intense ranting :/

That thread included various quotes from the likes of SAGE, and a link to the Lancet, did you not read it, are you drunk, or just trolling?

I've put them on ignore, they seem to contribute nothing of any use or interest, and are borderline trolling or shit stirring imo.

Could be in several threads, these questions :oops:, but ......

1, How much is really known yet about how much or not the vaccines currently in use prevent/restrict transmission of 'the' virus?

2. To what extent is it actually known yet how effective (and how easy to do) adapting the vaccines will work?

Also ......

My impression right now is that there's exceptionally recently renewed talk of 'herd immunity' :confused:

5. Oh, yes, and one last one : Why on earth is a (possible) prospect of people having to be anti-Covid vaccinated annually, with variant versions of the jab each Autumn or Winter, still being talked of as a problem**?

**That would be no problem at all IMO, if the vaccines really can be adapted to work well ..... :cool: ... see question 2. above ....

There is a lot of data now coming out of Israel, phase 4 trials of the Pfizer vaccine. Does it work on mass like we think it works? Generally, it's working as expected after 21 days.

For adapting vaccines, I refer you to the video I posted about the mRNA vaccine. This was invented in just the nick of time, it can be modified very quickly unlike the other vaccines which take a lot longer, although I suspect they are already working on it as we speak.

Expect revised mRNA vaccines sometime in the autumn as a booster.

That thread included various quotes from the likes of SAGE, and a link to the Lancet, did you not read it, are you drunk, or just trolling?

You're right Cupid I didnt read the thread my apologies to zahir, not intentional but entirely due to my ignorance of how Twitter works and not seeing the link to the thread, I thought I was reading the thread but was only reading the front page which contained zero information just the Lady's conclusions

The countries that have done well like NZ either have to stay locked away from the rest of the world indefinitely or let the Virus in...most of the world UK included are fucked for a long time its endemic and our only hope is that it mutates into something less deadly, we can temporarily limit it but ultimately its out of our hands.
Could be goodnight Irene for us lot

The countries that have done well like NZ either have to stay locked away from the rest of the world indefinitely or let the Virus in...most of the world UK included are fucked for a long time its endemic and our only hope is that it mutates into something less deadly, we can temporarily limit it but ultimately its out of our hands.
Could be goodnight Irene for us lot
I'd guess that once they have rolled out vaccines they'll be able to open up more.

Interesting take:

When I was asked to calculate the total volume of SARS-CoV-2 in the world for the BBC Radio 4 show More or Less, I will admit I had no idea what the answer would be. My wife suggested it would be the size of an Olympic swimming pool. “Either that or a teaspoon,” she said. “It’s usually one or the other with these sorts of questions.”

So how to set about calculating an approximation of what the total volume really is? Fortunately, I have some form with these sorts of large-scale back-of-the-envelope estimations, having carried out a number of them for my book The Maths of Life and Death. Before we embark on this particular numerical journey, though, I should be clear that this is an approximation based on the most reasonable assumptions, but I will happily admit there may be places where it can be improved.

Article about the Gov dashboard:

Never mind captain whats-his-face - send these guys on holiday to Barbados once it's all over. Actually I greatly appreciate all of the people, including all those independently run not for profit sites, who take the numbers and put them into visual form so that we can get some handle on what's going on.

Back
Top Bottom