Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Coronavirus (COVID-19) chat

been listening to radio 4 and lbc all morning, first time in months. and boy does it sounds grim, we're gonna lockdown again aren't we.

they are talking a million doses a day in england.

Well at least the hesitant and careless are apparently taking omicron seriously ...

Luckily I'm all jabbed-up and have a stash of FFP2s and have a fridge full of veggies - perhaps I'll make an extra foray to the supermarket this week seeing as it's cold and veggies will store fairly well in my unheated kitchen area - maybe I'll make an outside cool box ...

I just ordered a home PCR this afternoon. maybe try your luck again?

got pinged today by the app as a close contact from last Weds. it said don't need isolate because have had two doses of a vaccine. I went back into the app to get a screenshot so could share with people I saw that day to let them know, but the app doesn't have anything anymore. I wasn't expecting the big scary red countdown timer like before, but surprised there is nothing about recent contacts as a reminder.

Still can't order LFTs online, going to try a couple of pharmacies this morning, need to get some paracetamol in anyway

Hoping my order of LFT's arrive today.
Only one left in the current box ...
[There's four adults in this household, a box of 7 doesn't cut it ...]

Good job we don't all go out everyday !

When we do go out - [all boostered, btw] masks, distancing etc are all applied.

None still at the 2 local Pharmacies I tried (Both had been waiting when I called yesterday afternoon still waiting, can't say when)

We have enough LFTs for this week, but must tell oldest to get one from school if at all possible! Not planning to see other humans an awful lot anyway but it would be helpful to have LFTs available.

Worth checking your local council's website for LFT collection points if other places nearby are running out. Imagine it varies by area but there's a couple here that (I assume) the council are running & don't show up if you search on the main gov.uk website - don't have to go online to get a collection code first, either.

Faragists in my office splaining that the old and vulnerable have been through so much that they aren't bothered by the prospect of "Covid sniffles" (and possible death). One of them mentions the office loon who giggles when vaccinated colleagues are hospitalised and his theory that it's all a plot to reduce the worlds population through vaccines. They all guffaw at this, but then one of them pipes up and says "well to be fair that's what David Icke says". The lizard man it seems does indeed give the most bat shit ideas credibility still.

Office centrist dads nod along with all this albeit slightly uncomfortably.

That reminds me, I should start working from home.

Please tell me the rest of the country isn't like this.

Worth checking your local council's website for LFT collection points if other places nearby are running out. Imagine it varies by area but there's a couple here that (I assume) the council are running & don't show up if you search on the main gov.uk website - don't have to go online to get a collection code first, either.
Says there's nothing within 30 miles of us, in East London.

I get them through work so not bothered, I was just curious.

Says there's nothing within 30 miles of us, in East London.

I get them through work so not bothered, I was just curious.
Yeah the gov website seems to display that message automatically while it's loading the actual search results atm

Not amongst my coworkers, but then they might not be an entirely representative sample of the general population, being as they are all either healthcare professionals and/or research staff in biomedical disciplines of various flavours.

My lot are ex skilled manual workers who are now supervisors/junior management and started their working life in the 80's. It's not so much that they've absorbed Thatcherite individualism as an ideology, it's more their entire lived experience. With something like Covid where you have to act collectively to counter it, it is a situation that's entirely outside of their understanding of how the world works and they'll hunt for reasons to believe it's absurd. Similar thing with climate change.

Faragists in my office splaining that the old and vulnerable have been through so much that they aren't bothered by the prospect of "Covid sniffles" (and possible death). One of them mentions the office loon who giggles when vaccinated colleagues are hospitalised and his theory that it's all a plot to reduce the worlds population through vaccines. They all guffaw at this, but then one of them pipes up and says "well to be fair that's what David Icke says". The lizard man it seems does indeed give the most bat shit ideas credibility still.

Office centrist dads nod along with all this albeit slightly uncomfortably.

That reminds me, I should start working from home.

Please tell me the rest of the country isn't like this.

My lot are ex skilled manual workers who are now supervisors/junior management and started their working life in the 80's. It's not so much that they've absorbed Thatcherite individualism as an ideology, it's more their entire lived experience. With something like Covid where you have to act collectively to counter it, it is a situation that's entirely outside of their understanding of how the world works and they'll hunt for reasons to believe it's absurd. Similar thing with climate change.
Me and my immediate colleagues stated work in the 90s in three different countries (including one in the former Soviet bloc and one in the US) and we don't have the views your colleagues apparently do because we're not fucking idiots. 🤷‍♀️

My dad's (71, diabetic) view is that he's had a full life and he'll take his chances and things shouldn't be shut down for everyone else in order to protect him - but not everyone, probably not even most people, are going to feel that way!

People who started their working lives in the 80s, the era of the miners' strikes, have no understanding of working collectively in an attempt to counter a situation :hmm:

Obviously there's more to the 80's than Thatcherism, but non of these guys had any involvement with the miners strike. I don't think any of them have had any involvement with strike action. Most of them would have worked hand to mouth for small sub contractors with no benefits at all or any union presence but for price work where they could make a reasonable sum of money if they put the effort and hours in (and that's the way it still is in this industry except for the big central government operation). And obviously they've all worked their way up to a small degree. The general ethos is of embittered acceptance of the way the world is with the government (in this case) gone a bit mad and authoritarian on them. But then they're used to that with council rules and bureaucracy and health and safety and all the "PC gawn mad". So they'll accept the Covid rules but mouth off about them. (The anti-vax conspiranut guy is different case with a different background). The real hardcore anti-vaxers and Covid sceptics are therefore much worse, but there's a few shades of shocking before you even get to that.

Back
Top Bottom