Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Coronavirus (COVID-19) chat

Here is the reddit discussion on it.
A covid lab worker posts a reply and confirms working very long days for minimum wage and no security.

They say they get €16.10 an hour which isn't minimum wage. Doing mass repetitive lab work like that is never going to be enjoyable. I'm sure they're not working in bonded servitude.

Diary of a Covid Tester part #1

Here we have a free 'Vaxi Taxi' service. Basically the council pays for a cab to take someone for a vaccine, waits while they get it and takes them home afterwards.

Sounds a bit ex/cessive but compared to the cost of NHS treatment it is nothing.

When we had a meeting I suggested 'Jab Cab' would be a good name but someone said 'Vaxi Taxi' would be more fun or something. Usual nonsense.

Just had a 'cease and desist' letter from a lawyer representing a doctor in Surrey who claims the term 'Vaxi Taxi' is her intellectual property and we will be sued.

FFS
#ToryBritain

They say they get €16.10 an hour which isn't minimum wage. Doing mass repetitive lab work like that is never going to be enjoyable. I'm sure they're not working in bonded servitude.

Oh.. ok. My mistake. Not minimum wage. It's this....minimum hour contracts...see screenshot.

Screenshot_20211130-082207_Chrome.jpg

Maybe lab techs are just not used to working 12 days in a row and not having days off?

Maybe lab techs are just not used to working 12 days in a row and not having days off?

12 days in a row is the max that the EU working time directive allows. Of all the circumstances in which employers might utilize it, ramping up pandemic virus testing has to be one of the least objectionable. Obviously it would be nice if they could recruit more staff and give them fewer hours each, but it's impossible to predict testing demand in advance.

12 days in a row is the max that the EU working time directive allows. Of all the circumstances in which employers might utilize it, ramping up pandemic virus testing has to be one of the least objectionable. Obviously it would be nice if they could recruit more staff and give them fewer hours each, but it's impossible to predict testing demand in advance.

I think the person also wrote somewhere...I might have not grabbed it in the screenshot..that there are only 3 facilities in Ireland doing this work.
The fact they stuck "HELP" on a machine so the rte news watchers would see it..is concerning though.

I think the person also wrote somewhere...I might have not grabbed it in the screenshot..that there are only 3 facilities in Ireland doing this work.
The fact they stuck "HELP" on a machine so the rte news watchers would see it..is concerning though.

Could be a joke, who knows. I am sure there are other avenues for them to voice concerns - it's not like it's impossible for workers in Ireland to speak to the press. If this was in certain other countries I'd perhaps be more concerned.

Reactions: LDC

It's standard office and workplace joke stuff as well, not sure it should be taken too seriously.

not to say they don't work under very difficult conditions and there shouldn't be ways looked at to improve their contracts, but they lost me when they described their management as 'retarded'.

Diary of a Covid Tester part #1

Here we have a free 'Vaxi Taxi' service. Basically the council pays for a cab to take someone for a vaccine, waits while they get it and takes them home afterwards.

Sounds a bit ex/cessive but compared to the cost of NHS treatment it is nothing.

When we had a meeting I suggested 'Jab Cab' would be a good name but someone said 'Vaxi Taxi' would be more fun or something. Usual nonsense.

Just had a 'cease and desist' letter from a lawyer representing a doctor in Surrey who claims the term 'Vaxi Taxi' is her intellectual property and we will be sued.

FFS

12 days in a row is the max that the EU working time directive allows.
You can opt out of the working time directive, usually something that happens under duress
Of all the circumstances in which employers might utilize it, ramping up pandemic virus testing has to be one of the least objectionable. Obviously it would be nice if they could recruit more staff and give them fewer hours each, but it's impossible to predict testing demand in advance.
I mean if you gave them three month contracts there’s obviously a real danger of society collapsing lest they find five minutes to scratch their arse on company time

Could be a joke, who knows. I am sure there are other avenues for them to voice concerns - it's not like it's impossible for workers in Ireland to speak to the press. If this was in certain other countries I'd perhaps be more concerned.
Christ this is urban full time now isn’t it. IT’S NOT CHINA! Yeah but if you go to the press and slag off your employer as a non contracted worker you will be sacked- well, they wouldn’t even need to sack you, just stop giving you hours.

Last edited:
You can opt out of the working time directive, usually something that happens under duress

Not in ireland

I mean if you gave them three month contracts there’s obviously a real danger of society collapsing lest they find five minutes to scratch their arse on company time

How is that going to help if there’s a sudden surge in testing? You’d still have to ask existing people to work longer hours.

Christ this is urban full time now isn’t it. IT’S NOT CHINA! Yeah but if you go to the press and slag off your employer as a non contracted worker you will be sacked- well, they wouldn’t even need to sack you, just stop giving you hours.

Yeah i’m sure writing help on your own bench so it’s seen on TV is the best way to alert the media without being sacked.

There's quite a funny quip in the Guardian live feed talking about whether people should have Xmas parties or not;

"If you are confused, you should probably just make your own decision, which seems to be what the government thinks people should do anyway. Alternatively, you could try the approach that No 10 seems have adopted which is to hold a party, but pretend you didn't."

Not in ireland

How is that going to help if there’s a sudden surge in testing? You’d still have to ask existing people to work longer hours.

Yeah i’m sure writing help on your own bench so it’s seen on TV is the best way to alert the media without being sacked.
Didn’t say it was nor do I think that’s why they did it.

How does employing a few more staff help if there’s a surge in testing? Errr slightly more than not employing a few more staff?

How does employing a few more staff help if there’s a surge in testing? Errr slightly more than not employing a few more staff?

It doesn't actually solve the problem though, unless they employ from the outset enough staff to handle the highest conceivable peak in test demand but only working a 40 hour week. You might not think that would be waste of money but I'm sure you would agree it would be a waste of trained laboratory workers.

I'd have hoped there would have been extra contract testers who could move from centre to centre. You'd then hope that they'd be paid properly but I doubt that, too.

It doesn't actually solve the problem though, unless they employ from the outset enough staff to handle the highest conceivable peak in test demand but only working a 40 hour week. You might not think that would be waste of money but I'm sure you would agree it would be a waste of trained laboratory workers.
It doesn’t really sound like that guy just suddenly had to do overtime this week, he sounds like he’s at the end of his tether. There’s some middle ground to aim for here.

I'm confused!
Mdk1 has been ill for a few weeks. We have been lft every 2 days- all negative.

I then had contact with a patient found to be positive from a pcr test after a negative lft (don't get me started on the fact that all patients should be pcr tested prior to surgery) a couple of weeks ago (rule at that point was NOT to isolate if you have been vaxxed- which I have)

With the emergence of the Omicron varient and mdk1 reporting a loss of sense of smell and a headache and continuing cough we both did pcr tests yesterday. Now,waiting for the results.

If mdk1 results come back positive- won't the isolation window of 10 days already of passed,? Seeing as a positive result can show for 90 days and he has been unwell for 3 weeks. (He is double jabbed)

#worldbeating

I had to take a mate to a hospital appointment yesterday, so I brought a copy of the 'i' to read whilst waiting, the article in the paper mentioned reasons why PCR test codes could be reused for legit reasons, such as flight changes & others, that they had become aware of a small number of people 'gaming' the system, and were looking to tighten things up to deal with the problem, together with mentions of the possible fines for entering false information.

Somehow all these details are left out of the online article, weird. 🤷‍♂️

I'm confused!
Mdk1 has been ill for a few weeks. We have been lft every 2 days- all negative.

I then had contact with a patient found to be positive from a pcr test after a negative lft (don't get me started on the fact that all patients should be pcr tested prior to surgery) a couple of weeks ago (rule at that point was NOT to isolate if you have been vaxxed- which I have)

With the emergence of the Omicron varient and mdk1 reporting a loss of sense of smell and a headache and continuing cough we both did pcr tests yesterday. Now,waiting for the results.

If mdk1 results come back positive- won't the isolation window of 10 days already of passed,? Seeing as a positive result can show for 90 days and he has been unwell for 3 weeks. (He is double jabbed)

Didn't your Trust stick with the stricter isolate even if vaccinated rules? Mine and others I know did.

I think if isolation passed then you are out of it unless you continue to have some of the symptoms (fever iirc). It's only different if you get told that you are a contact of an Omicron case. But worth checking as that's off the top of my head, the rules have changed so much I've given up trying to remember them now and just check the latest guidance.

Didn't your Trust stick with the stricter isolate even if vaccinated rules? Mine and others I know did.

I think if isolation passed then you are out of it unless you continue to have some of the symptoms (fever iirc). It's only different if you get told that you are a contact of an Omicron case. But worth checking as that's off the top of my head, the rules have changed so much I've given up trying to remember them now and just check the latest guidance.
Thankfully both our tests were negative.

General misanthropic rant warning....

A friend of a friend who works in the NHS turned their work phone on this morning and saw a text from the weekend from a work colleague saying they'd had a positive contact and should they come to work this morning? Anyway, turns out they'd asked a few random people at their work over messages at the weekend and had been told it's probably OK, so they came into work and saw patients this morning. Then someone with some sense told them to go home and contact infection control, who told them not to be in work. Fucking obviously.

Are people actually total fucking morons? Why are you messaging work mates over the weekend asking important advice like that? Why either do you (a) not know as you should have read the regular covid updates emailed to all staff, or failing that (b) call someone sensible (like your line manager or infection control) first thing Monday morning before you amble in and see patients?

Anyway, apparently the patients they saw don't need to be told as 'everyone was wearing PPE' or something. Honestly I fucking despair sometimes.

General misanthropic rant warning....

A friend of a friend who works in the NHS turned their work phone on this morning and saw a text from the weekend from a work colleague saying they'd had a positive contact and should they come to work this morning? Anyway, turns out they'd asked a few random people at their work over messages at the weekend and had been told it's probably OK, so they came into work and saw patients this morning. Then someone with some sense told them to go home and contact infection control, who told them not to be in work. Fucking obviously.

Are people actually total fucking morons? Why are you messaging work mates over the weekend asking important advice like that? Why either do you (a) not know as you should have read the regular covid updates emailed to all staff, or failing that (b) call someone sensible (like your line manager or infection control) first thing Monday morning before you amble in and see patients?

Anyway, apparently the patients they saw don't need to be told as 'everyone was wearing PPE' or something. Honestly I fucking despair sometimes.
Funny, isn't it, how so many people seem to think that THEIR PARTICULAR CASE should represent some kind of exception. Even if the rules aren't clear, you'd kind of hope that medical staff would be aware of the practical realities underlying those rules, and act accordingly.

Funny, isn't it, how so many people seem to think that THEIR PARTICULAR CASE should represent some kind of exception. Even if the rules aren't clear, you'd kind of hope that medical staff would be aware of the practical realities underlying those rules, and act accordingly.

And surely also err on the side of better safe than sorry before you get a clear answer. I mean given that the consequences are you infect someone and they die a modicum of caution surely is better? I mean it's a free day off work as well ffs!

Back
Top Bottom