Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Coronavirus (COVID-19) chat

Badgers, You mention your voluntary work at Vaccination centres (many thanks for this), do you know if those giving the jag aspirate before introducing the shot?

Badgers, You mention your voluntary work at Vaccination centres (many thanks for this), do you know if those giving the jag aspirate before introducing the shot?

Guidance is not to aspirate for these vaccinations, or at least was a few months ago. I'd be surprised if it's changed.

Last edited:
Thanks do you know why?
Is it just that the risk of hitting a blood vessel is minimal?, seems to me that its such an easy thing to do and it guarantees you arent in a vessel..why not?

Just that Im a little concerned as my deltoids are fairly developed and I probably have good sized blood vessels there and have heard of some possible bad effects if one is hit

Thanks do you know why?
Is it just that the risk of hitting a blood vessel is minimal?, seems to me that its such an easy thing to do and it guarantees you arent in a vessel..why not?

Just that Im a little concerned as my deltoids are fairly developed and I probably have good sized blood vessels there and have heard of some possible bad effects if one is hit

They're not near the injection site, the needle isn't long enough to reach them, and on balance evidence shows aspiration has its own risks and disadvantages. There were some suggestions early on some of the side effects might have been linked to the vaccine going into blood vessels rather than IM, but afaik there's no evidence that was the case.

“Based on the available information to date, the risk of animals spreading Covid-19 to people is considered to be low,” it states

Thank fuck we could be in a bit of a pickle if animals could give us a coronavirus

Can someone quickly explain what 'aspirate' means in a vaccination context??

I ask in a bit of a rush to get to bed :(, but also on the basis that knowledgeable Urbans can be more reliable than random Googling! ;)

Last edited:
Can someone quickly explain what 'aspirate' means in a vaccination context??

I ask in a bit of a rush to get to bed :(, but also on the basis that knowledgeable Urbans can be more reliabe than random Googling! ;)
Drawing back on the syringe before you give the injection, to make sure the needle isn't in a blood vessel

Not bad if you've got some life science background, but it uses terms like ribosome (in-cell protein-making factory) and cytoplasm (in-cell background fluid) without explanation.

(Or have I underestimated what people generally know..?)

Well, if you hadn’t heard those terms before you have now. So it was educational :)

It doesn't use those terms without explanation. It explains what both of those things are visually. Before watching the video I could not have told you what a ribosome is. Possibly after watching the video I would have forgotten that the thing that takes the MRNA and makes it into something else is called a ribosome; however, the concept that such things exist and the story of what part they play in the broader process has been quite well communicated.

We're out in the Centre:MK today, in Milton Keynes. I'd estimate mask wearing at around 5%, if that, including all the staff working in shops with signs up about masks. Plus everyone is ignoring all the arrows on the floor that are supposed to prevent congestion, so it's unnecessarily packed in some areas. :mad:

Last edited:

Robert Dingwall, a participant of the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) was interviewed saying long Covid was largely in the mind. More startling still was the idea that “natural” infection might be beneficial in children. Nobody was using the words “herd immunity” anymore, but the concept was still circulating in relation to youngsters.

I like the tone of that article but I get depressed that all we can expect is a few articles like that months later, when its been perfectly possible for people here and elsewhere to rant about this disgraceful pursual of herd immunity via infection in younger people since at least the start of June.

Back
Top Bottom