Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General aviation/airplane news and chat

You can't get away with that tease, can we have more of a story please!
Not much to tell really, we were gliding down to Ballykelly from a longish cross country and the engine failed to respond when the throttle was opened approaching circuit height. Leaving us with not a lot of time in which to sort things out. The only suitable field had a thin power cable slung between trees across it’s downwind edge which was totally invisible until too late. No room to go under and barely enough speed to go over it. The undercarriage just caught the wire and arrested us very effectively, as you can see. And yes, we did still have plenty of fuel left in the tank.

Does that mean that Lancman was in one of the last British aircraft to take an arrestor wire?

(The last arrestor landing on a carrier would have been a Phantom or a Bucc in 1978, if the outfield landing was after that, then Lancman could be a record holder!)

I haven't done any flying, never could afford it and preferred motorbikes which can be had for less pennies, but I did have an hour or two in a two seat microlight which was great fun. In many ways it was just a motorbike with a propeller and wing. We dive bombed beaches etc during the flight and I was allowed to take over for a while, really enjoyed it. :)

Well, I imagine you won't be able to find a laptop with a CD drive and it probably wouldn't run on a current system. So no flying then, so pretty real for now...
I once brought my brother a flight simulator game of the F16. Back when they came with thick manuals.
It was very a very realistic simulation 5 minutes at the controls the plane was a smoking crater in the ground.

I've just started a new sci-fi series on Netflix called Into the Night. The overall premise is intriguing but a significant part of the plot in the first episode involves non-pilots having to fly an A320 an emergency, and even though I am no pilot I suspect there might be quite a few inaccuracies/ plot holes regarding the operation of an airliner, which I guess non-pilots would not get.

Anyway, it did make me wonder something: In the Hollywoodesque and improbable scenario of both pilots becoming physically incapacitated early on a flight, on a highly automated plane like an A320 would a layman in the cockpit who followed the right instructions to the letter be likely to see the plane complete the flight and autoland safely without any flying skills or command of the joystick? In other words, just by punching the right numbers/ typing the right commands into a computer? I guess it's more likely that not nowadays in normal conditions, right?

I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of any pilots who end up watching this series. It seems it will mostly take place inside the plane as the passengers are constantly flying away from the danger, so plenty to roll your eyes about. TBF from my limited knowledge I can tell they have made some kind effort to consult an aviation expert. On episode three they suspect a baddie might have climbed into the landing gear well and at least they made a point of refuting the old movie cliche about being able to access the main cabin from the landing gear housing.
Having watched this another major concern of mine would be the incident when
They cut through a titanium bulkhead with oxyacetylene at altitude. As anyone with experience of putting a cutting torch to any metal that ends in ium will know, mishap is never far away.

For the first time in weeks I’ve noticed aircraft departing and arriving at Doncaster. All freight I surmise.
But six in the last four hours.
Our house is directly under the flight path from the main runway, about four miles as the 747 flies.
The most recent according to Flightradar24 is an Air Atlanta Icelandic 747 from Nairobi to Cairo via Doncaster. How exciting that must be for the crew!

For the first time in weeks I’ve noticed aircraft departing and arriving at Doncaster. All freight I surmise.
Our house is directly under the flight path from the main runway, about four miles as the 747 flies.
The most recent according to Flightradar24 is an Air Atlanta Icelandic 747 from Nairobi to Cairo via Doncaster. How exciting that must be for the crew!

Doncaster's quite a detour if flying NBO to CAI, maybe they heard Greggs was open?

Are they lost ?

Are they lost ?
It was just what the app stated on Flightradar24, Though Doncaster handles more freight than passengers. The second longest runway in Europe.
In normal times we see an Antonov fly into there twice a week. I surmised fly produce from Nairobi up here and then taking supplies to Cairo.
Or Greggs is open, there is one in the airport!!

It was just what the app stated on Flightradar24, Though Doncaster handles more freight than passengers. The second longest runway in Europe.
In normal times we see an Antonov fly into there twice a week. I surmised fly produce from Nairobi up here and then taking supplies to Cairo.
Or Greggs is open, there is one in the airport!!

The six engined Antonov?

Not a plane fanatic, but totally having a look for that. Never knew it was much a big runway.
It was the base for the V-Bombers.
Four Vulcans on constant standby to deliver a reprisal against the Soviet Union.
Through the sixties as kids we marvelled every time they scrambled.
That was noisy.
My dad, ex-RAF said not to worry because we wouldn’t know anything about it. He was a laugh.

Dad told me and my mates that over the hill at RAF Bawtry was Strike Command HQ. He said that was the second priority target after RAF Fylingdales. And of course RAF Finningley (now Doncaster airport) is next door to Bawtry. He told us, two birds with one bomb. Laughing all the time. Better than ghost stories.

I only ever experienced one total engine failure in 42 years of flying and this was the result. A good landing is one from which you walk away, this was a good landing.

I had a 757 engine failure climbing out of DSS heavy. After a very long and slow turn over the Atlantic I walked away from the subsequent landing on shaky legs. Still counts as a good landing.

I also had a Harrier GR7 'reboot' on me coming off the range at Cape Wrath. Everything went dark and the engine shut down. At this point I thought I was in for a bracing swim to Stornaway but it came back to life and I got it restarted. ISTR 35 steps in the procedure to start a Harrier... Great stuff.

I see Virgin are sacking 3000 and won't be returning to Gatwick for the foreseeable.

I see Virgin are sacking 3000 and won't be returning to Gatwick for the foreseeable.
First BA now Virgin... if the trend continues LGW will end up as a low cost airline airport- though of course it still be infinitely preferable to the shitholes that are Luton and Stansted.

First BA now Virgin... if the trend continues LGW will end up as a low cost airline airport- though of course it still be infinitely preferable to the shitholes that are Luton and Stansted.

Not keen on all these job losses but some sort of rationalisation of London's airports will hopefully come out of this. The piecemeal approach does not serve the city / country well. As long as the 3rd runway is kicked into the long grass for a couple of generations I'll be happy.

Back
Top Bottom