Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General aviation/airplane news and chat

Or top trolling...
Mystery-Plane-Area-51-hangar.jpg

See also:

Or top trolling...
Mystery-Plane-Area-51-hangar.jpg

See also:

F-16XL? One's at the USAF museum at Wright-Patterson and nobody knows what happened to the other one...

It’s just a cardboard cut out to put fear into the bad guys watching via satellite. Keep them guessing.

Tailless airframes are all the rage at the moment. A satellite orbiting above China spotted a similarly shaped contraption at an air base recently.

I've done it in sims and it's nothing like that. Not a lot more movement than a steering wheel whilst driving, but perhaps in the wind it's different.
To the best of my layman knowledge in fully manual mode the pilot operates a pretty similar amount of controls with the stick as with a yoke. I guess the stick makes it more effortless, but the skillset required is surely the same.

I’ve only ever flown little planes, people who fly heavy aircraft have said it’s slightly easier as they have a bit more inertia but I’m not sure autoland is going to cope with conditions like today. Normally on final you would be looking at tiny delicate control movements- in fact on a good approach you set up trim and don’t move the controls at all till the flare ( like I’ve ever managed that more than once…). Then on a day like today with lots of gusts like today some BIG control inputs would be needed as the aircraft doesn’t just move left or right in gusts but also up and down, buildings trees and other stuff on the ground will also cause movements in the air that can throw the aircraft around and also need big control inputs. It’s not the crosswind so much as the gusts causing the issues. Smooth crosswinds (within limits) aren’t too bad, once it’s gusting though you get all kinds of fun.

Probably more for DownwardDog for real world experience.

I did once go flying on a day like today, early in my time flying gliders I was too inexperienced to know the day was going to be blowing a hoolie otherwise I wouldn’t have even bothered driving to the airfield. . Three or four other people turned up and the CFI, ex army air corps with about a million rotary and glider hours, thought it would be educational if we took one aircraft out and did some dual work. It was astounding basically the two seater would go straight up off the winch to what felt like twice it’s normal height, there was a little wood about three miles away from the airfield and the air kicking up over that was like mini wave and enough to keep the glider up in. We could also fly backwards down the runway- the glider was flying normally at 40 but the air was moving quicker than that. Then on decent it was basically hovering over one spot on the ground. It was awesome, even if I would have died had I tried it on my own… The CFI said that we were probably the only GA flying in the whole SE that day.

Last edited:
Could be wrong but apart from the yoke vs stick issue, older Boeings don’t have fly-by-wire controls, which move flight control surfaces by electric motors, but rely on hydraulic systems that require muscle power from the pilot. Having said that I’d be surprised if anything newer than a 737NG still lacked it.

Probably more for DownwardDog for real world experience.

Didn't watch the Heathrow spotter frenzy and never flown an Airbus but with the FBW in normal law it has alpha protection, load factor limitation, etc. so you don't have to be particularly gentle on the control inputs.

When I was on the 400F I saw our greybeard TRE (ex RAAF P-3 driver) do 120 control inputs in the last 20 seconds of an approach to HKG during a tropical cyclone.

Is that genuine? They really shake the stick about like that?
Autopilots used to be amount/amount machines. If an aircraft diverged from its planned path by say 5 degrees then the autopilot would correct it by 5 degrees. But sometimes it would correct by only 4 degrees and inaccuracies would increase as the flight continued unless the pilot monitored them closely and made continuous corrections.

Modern autopilots are rate/rate machines which detect the rate by which an aircraft is being disturbed and immediately move the flight controls to correct that disturbance. This makes for a much smoother flight. So much smoother that the majority of passengers don’t even know that anything has happened.

In that video Captain Khalifa Al Thani shows that he is a rate/rate pilot, and a good one too.

Any pilots here who’ve flown both yoke and stick? I’ve seen one or two threads over the years discussing their pros and cons in the Airliners forum, and the consensus seems to be that commercial pilots prefer the yoke on principle as a more enjoyable and responsive flying experience, but most of those who switch from the yoke on a Boeing to the stick on an Airbus say they actually love it and wouldn’t go back to the yoke- at least as the plane you have to fly everyday as your daytime job.

It’s all done by computers nowadays. The pilot is just a passenger really.

I was under the impression that computers were capable of landing in fog and are used a lot in those conditions. But wind, especially when gusting with changes every few seconds need the experience and training only available from a pilot.
Computers in my experience of working on robots for the last twenty years are incapable of dealing with rapid, unexpected changes.

Another Robinson experiences rapid unscheduled disassembly. Still not getting one.

Another Robinson experiences rapid unscheduled disassembly. Still not getting one.
"I'd rather walk "
"An apache pilot to a robinson owner when offered a flight in one"
Two engines all the avionics and crash worthy seats in a roll cage . Its a really big machine and you can climb all over it. While the robinson is tiny and light wieght.

"I'd rather walk "
"An apache pilot to a robinson owner when offered a flight in one"
Two engines all the avionics and crash worthy seats in a roll cage . Its a really big machine and you can climb all over it. While the robinson is tiny and light wieght.

Reading this and about mast bumping 😱

Back
Top Bottom